POTW - Missed this week

POTW Bot

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic: The Case for Taylor- SNY

my hope is that ryan signs him and then forces him to wear the #00. Then sits him on the bench, an elevated bench, all season so that we can get a clear shot at him with our $6 knishes. Then, every halftime show should end with the clip of JT crying on every jumbotron in the stadium. In that case, I'd love this signing.

The Nomination: "Hahahahaha That would be great!!! I wouldn't even miss the 5-8 sacks he might give us" Jets1Fan

Editor's Note:

Topic: ESPN Boston - "Jets, Ryan not kings of the hill yet"

Please allow me to break down this ridiculous claptrap:

So this is the Pats division? I thought this was the AFC East. The last time I checked that's what it said at the top of the standings - "AFC East" and the Jets, Pats, Bills and Dolphins were listed beneath it by city name. The standings don't assign ownership of a division to a particular team.

And you are? I am sure the Jets front office if throwing a party because Mike Reiss approves of some of their offseason moves. What NFL championship team did you have a hand in building again Mike?

Actually, the Pats getting ass-reamed by the Ravens at home in the wildcard game and the Jets pounding the living crap out of the Bengals on the road, followed by their major road upset of the Chargers in the divisional round, followed by them having the halftime lead in the AFC Championship Game was lost from your column numbnuts.

And this is meaningful because? Are you saying that since Mike Tannenbaum grew up in Massachusetts the Jets owe their success to New England somehow? This is meaningless nonsense and has no place in this column.

No **** asshead. But guess what, you've got to make moves in March and April if you want to be competing in December, January and February. It's not like the Jets are crowning themselves champions. It's jackasses like you who are doing it so stop acting like Rex Ryan has declared the 2010 season over.

And Pioli is now in Kansas City, so what the hell does quoting him have to do with your contention that the Pats are still better than the Jets. If Pioli was still making the Pats offseason personnel decisions you might have a point.

Wow, you're friggin' in love with Scott Pioli aren't you?

So since you've made insanely stupid pronouncements in the offseason in the past (presumably that the Pats were going to win their fourth Super Bowl sometime in the last six years) that no offseason prediction based on analysis of smart personnel moves can possibly be right? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

So you're now admitting that your entire premise is flawed? Way to show conviction you spineless wuss.

Umm, we know Mike.

So based on the fact that Edelman had two good games filling in for Welker - both Pats losses - had you known he would do an admirable job you would have ridiculously overrated the Pats receiving corps and incorrectly predicted another undefeated regular season? :confused0082:

Three things here: 1. I guarantee you were one of the people acting like Adalius Thomas was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor; 2. Anyone with a brain in their head who understands football knew that a big part of Thomas' success was that he was about the sixth most important player on Baltimore's defense and that NO ONE schemed against Adalius Thomas in 2006; 3. I guess what has happened with Thomas in the intervening years also proves that Rex Ryan has supplanted Bill Belichick as the sharpest defensive mind in the game today, who does he coach again? :Nuts:

Now I, Mike Reiss, shall compare apples to tape measures to back up my point.

Even though I just spent 10 minutes tearing them down as meaningless.

Please allow me, Mike Reiss, to fellate Scott Pioli once more.

The Nomination: "SPOT ON!" Brooklyn Jet

Editor's Note:

Topic: Roethlisberger Exposed Self

Hey, that sounds harsh. I mean it's like I always say, sometimes when you're on a drought,. you have to get a VIP section in a club and buy shots for groups of chicks and have your bodyguards drag one of the girls into a bathroom and then you have to walk back with your wiener hanging out of your pants as she's back there even if she doesn't want to see it. It happens to the best of us.

The Nomination: "Just because it's an actual saying of yours.." jetscanes331

Editor's Note:

Topic: I like our chances...

I disagree:

Cromatarie_ He's a giver plain and simple. He's alot like Santa Claus. Except rather delivering toys he gives sperm and child support. I just hope he doesn't get that fat. Though a black guy with a white beard is cool.

Braylon- I know he can't catch the ball all that well but he does run really fast and is better than the last Edwards we had.

Tomilison- OK he may be slowing down some but you can't tell me his little face mask vizor thing isn't going to be kick-azz on his Jets helmet.

Santonio Holmes- Guy is a clutch reciever who had a game winning grab in the Super Bowl. Plus if the Jets are ever stranded on a 2nd floor burning Hotel or 3rd for that matter they can always use his gigantic schlong and slide down it for safety. Like I said, the guy is clutch.

Jason Taylor- This is nothing but bad. Bad, Bad, Bad. For Jets fans and the Jets. No way anybody beats him at Dance Dance revolution comps that are held after team meetings. No ****ing way. Team chemistry is a concern.

The Nomination: "hahaha all valid arguments" jetscanes331

Editor's Note:

Topic: Little Zach Thomas rips Dolphins over brother-in-law

No chance. Right now we're the chick that used to be fat that all of a sudden finds herself in the position of guys not having to be drunk to want her, so she sluts herself out and now everyone notices this awesome swish-mitten that's DTF and all of a sudden she's a hit everywhere she goes. And I must say, it feels pretty awesome being a whore.

The Nomination: "Pretty much sums it up." Bergenjet

Editor's Note:

Topic: Punts Forced / Kickoff Return Attempts: A Statistical Flyby

I was going to mention this arcane topic last year, but never got around to it, even though it bothered me.

There is a fundamental logic to an element of defense on the 2009 Jets that didn't get exploited to the hilt, but could have. The 2010 Jets seem to have addressed this. We could have been a much more dangerous team last year. Who knows how much it would have affected the bottom line, but anyway, you have to know how to ice the cake you bake.

The underlying point of seeing things like the way I am going to show them has to do basically with inter-phase efficiency: capturing optimum value from its opportunities, and seeing how different phases of the game bleed into one another, are interconnected, how opportunities are fostered by this interconnectedness, and why it is so important to get a player at a particular position that can turn the flywheel by hitting homeruns when they get their limited opportunities at the plate.

The most important concept underlying this is the idea that there is no such thing as a closed system. All systems are open systems that overlap and contribute to, bleed into others. All phases of the game bleed into one another in a way that is hard, if not impossible, to capture wholly. The attempt to explain the game of football statistically can perplexing for this reason. Stats isolate a game of myriad interconnected phases and elements. No other game is even remotely like football not only in its complexity, but in the simultaneity of moving parts that contribute to "a simple given play", and the coordination necessary on a variety of levels to even play the game. Unlike baseball, which is itself complex, but not nearly so, where just for example, a pitch, like a football play, is "strategically called", but with much less variety than a football playbook.

Anyway, every half of every game is initiated by the kicking phase of the game, which tees it off to the kick return phase, and this becomes the offense/defense phase. Every score leads into a kick-off situation (not including PAT/FG), connected to a KR situation, until the clocks run down. Likewise, teams on offense can elect to punt rather than just risk turning the ball over on downs.

When we talk about great defense, we are talking about the potential resulting function that affects opportunities in the return game, creating punt returns and limiting kick returns.

Just to show how much of a game changer kickoff returns can be, remember back to Ted Ginn's 2 TDS, or Brad Smith's TD. Momentum swingers.

We can rank the value of KO returns for TDs, and even though they may be rare, we know how TD returns encapsulate the importance of the return game. A return doesn't have to go for a TD to be significant.

+7 = A KO returned for a TD when it leads off a game or half, not as result of TD/FG

Even = A KO returned for TD, after opponent TD

+4 = A KO return for TD, after opponent FG

Fine, this means if your defense is bad, and you give up a lot of scores, your team should emphasize the KO return game. But if your defense is really good scoring-wise, you aren't going to get a lot of opportunities here. Like the Jets. On the other hand, a team with a great defense, in the order of what the Jets had last year, an explosive punt return game should be a super high priority to obtain.

It's very simple. As you defense gets better, the fewer 1st downs an opponent attains. The fewer 1st downs, the more punts forced. Additionally, the fewer 1st downs, and the more punts, and the better the defense gets overall and especially in limiting big scoring plays, the fewer scores you give up. The fewer scores you give up the fewer kick returns you get.

Better defense creates an increasingly polarized and inversely proportional relationship between kick returns and punt returns. As the defense gets better and attains a critical mass - as the elite defenses do and as we did last year - the punt returns increase dramatically while kick return opportunities in turn decrease dramatically.

Let's look. So, Rex builds this incredible defense. The isolated stats are astounding. Best we've ever seen. Let's see some D stats and the corresponding return stats. (Italicized are Defensive Stats and BOLDED are the correlating Return game stats.)

Scoring Defense: 14.8: 1st in league

KICK RETURNS: 44:1st (lowest) in league

Total 1st Downs: 237: 1st; 2nd: MIN, 271

3rd Down Made: 69: 1st (T3)

3rd Down Prcnt: 31.5%: 1st

PUNTS FORCED: 98: 1st; 2nd: SF, 95

PUNT RETURNS: 50: 1st; 2nd: SF, 49

FAIR CATCHES: 26: 1st; (SF: 13)

PUNTS FIELDED: 76 (my statistic: to avoid confusion this will be Punts Caught (PC))

PUNTS UNFIELDED: 22 (my statistic)

PUNTS FORCED (PF) = 98

PR___Yards___Average____Long___TD__Fair Catches

50-----457--------9.1---------37------0---------26-----

KICK OFF RETURNS

KR____Yards___Average___Long___TD

44-----1074-------24.4-------106------1-

We let up the fewest scores and thus received the lowest frequency of KO's in the league.

Likewise, we experienced the fewest new 1st downs, gave up the fewest amount of 3rd down conversions, had the best 3rd down stop rate, let up the fewest yards, and therefore we received the greatest amount of punts in the league. Some specific and astounding figures concerning these relationships, along with some notes and conclusions:

Significant Relationships

PF/KR ratio: 2.23 = ~ 225% more than KR; more than double!

PC/KR ratio: 1.73 = punts fair caught and returned almost double kick returns

PR/KR ratio: 1.14 = 114% of KR: The JETS were the only team with a positive margin between PR to KR.

FC% of all Fielded Punts: 34.2% = 26 of 76 punts were Fair Caught

% of Punts Non-Advanced: 49% = 26 Fair Caught + 22 Unfielded = 48 of 98.

Factoring in fair catches, bc fair catches reduce PRs, even though they mitigate risk of actually catching a punt to then return it, which is likely the most dangerous play in football (with unlikely, or at least uncertain payoff: average 8.4 yds/return league-wide, but stretched by few long gains and many short), and where the risk of losing a ball on turnover between the whistles (as opposed to a turnover on downs, or a punt, which is a turnover by choice) is not just a turnover but a potential momentum swinging turnover-negating turnover.

FC's reduce risk when a significant victory has already been won - a punt - but the return of the punt by an explosive player can add tremendous payoff to an already dominant unit. Having a PR that can break open returns is the icing on the cake the defense bakes.

When you factor in either the average per game punt return opportunity, or the total aggregate returns over a season, you are talking about creating back-breaking potential of astronomical proportions to an opposing team.

Think: An opposing offense just can't move the chains on a given Sunday. (We gave up only 237 1sts total last year and forced a total of 98 punts.) Fine. But add to that a punt returner that -all day- is going to be up to bat swinging for the fences?

No you've got icing to spread on the cake. Here are our Punts-Forced Figures for all 16 weeks of 2009. Think of these as opportunities to hit a homerun. With a better defense than everyone else, we force more of these opportunities:

7_

98 Punts Forced is

50 Punts Returned (457 yds/9/1 avg) plus

26 Fair Catches, equals

76 Punts Fielded (Punts Caught), leaving

22 Punts Unfielded.

=98.

To briefly compare to other random teams, here are a few showing

Kick Returns - Punts Forced - Punts Returned - Fair Catches

Team__KR__PF__PR__FC

DET-----96---66---28--15

SD------63---62---26--13

CIN-----62---83---40--19

SF-------52--95---49---13

DAL-----47---92---39--23

JETS----44---98---50--26

Punt Returns, not merely Punts Forced is the key statistic. I would surmise that the Jets positive PR-KR ratio has to do with the defense being so good that we win field position, and therefore avoid touchbacks, etc. But the stats don't bear that out. I don't know the explanation.

However, the idea of getting a guy other than the solid Jim Leonard or Cotchery to field punts is a good one. I never understood why this was not emphasized at the expense of KR, especially last year.

A guy like Joe McKnight or Kyle Wilson is almost perfect to exploit this statistical seam that will develop again if we play at a similar level.

It is the difference between small margin of victory/loss and clear victory. It is also a major equalizer, as in the case of a team like New Orleans, Baltimore or Indianapolis.

Our guys did an adequate job last year, but with the frequency of punt return opportunities we're getting, there is a major need to maximize return.

I was actually hoping for a Trindon Holliday, but perhaps Kyle Wilson, or Joe McKnight can step in here. This is a big deal and the FO bringing these two in to compete deserves major props:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwj7JemkC4

The Nomination: "Outstanding analysis!" Jetsfan80

Editor's Note:

Topic: Leon Washington's wife....

LW is just another in a long line of Jets players that were lied to, manipulated, and unceremoniously dumped after offering their efforts and even their bodies up in the gladiator's arena that is pro football. Chad Pennington, Kevin Mawae, Pete Kendall, Laveranues Coles, Alan Faneca...the list goes on, and each left with class, though personally, they felt betrayed by the organization. LW must put on a good face, because he is a professional and that is what his profession calls for. His wife on the other hand, has every right to speak her mind and stomp her foot in defense of her husband. Her fierce defense of Leon should not be held up to scrutiny by a message board of fans who, after all, have the team's best interests in mind, not the individual players'. We root for uniforms, and forgive management any indiscretion (even PSLs) while villifying any player no longer affiliated with the team. That's unfair, IMO.

The Nomination: "Very true." Max

Editor's Note:

Topic: I TOLD You This Is The 2010 Storyline They Want To Push

Then when we win the SB it'll be all "Rex Ryan and his cast of misfits who came togther"...we'll be reminded that Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard were UDFAs..how Ryan saved Edwards' (and Pools?) career(s?) when he took him (them?) out of Cleveland...how Vernon Gholston, previously the largest bust in the entire history of the entire world times ten, realized the err of his ways when Rex told him to be more Rexgressive...how Santonio Holmes stopped smoking pot and started breathing life under Rex's grace and tutelage...how Antonio Cromartie started using a condom after Rex showed him how to put it on (with the banana, man)...how Kyle Wilson, the man who plummeted dramatically (!) to the Jets on draft day, showed other teams what they were missing...how Vladimir Ducasse should never have been questioned as a beast...how Calvin Pace is actually a top 3-4 LB within the league, and not just some random dude who was handed 42 million dollars....how Shonn Greene went from selling beds or something to starting for the Championship Jets...how Brian Schottenheimer has been a top OC with bad players should finally be noted...how the all time great RB Ladanian Tomlinson rejuvenated himself for his ring after everyone said he was done...how Shaun Ellis managed to put up and even survive the bs within the Jets organization for 10 seasons with 0 complaints...if you're still reading you're an idiot.

The Nomination: "Post says it all!" DLJ

Editor's Note:

Topic: Kids get in trouble for wearing American flag T-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo

I have no doubt that these kids did this to be controversial, if not provacative. I am highly suspicious that they all happened to get patriotic on Cinco de Mayo. That being said, whatever their motivations were, how PC has this country become that wearing the American flag is offensive to ANYONE in this country on ANY friggin day???

Now if it was MLK day and they wore T-Shirts with a picture of the KKK Grand Wizard? Or a Hitler T-Shirt on a Jewish holiday? Yeah. That's extremely offensive. Reprimand them in a microsecond. Severely.

But the American flag??? I am offended by anyone who is offended by that.

The Nomination: "This hits the nail on the head. Great post !!" Thai Jet

Editor's Note:

Topic: Cimini | A conversation with Curtis Martin

[url=http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1582540#post1582540]

You have been doing it in every post.. What this thread needs is that great piece written by Jet Nations own Sperm Edwards.. The Martinette hand book..

The Martinette Handbook of Excuses

1. At all points, recite the string of 1000-yard seasons, no matter how irrelevant it is to the current season, game, drive, or play being discussed.

2. When the line opens up a gaping, 15-yard lane & Martin runs 10 yards through it, comment on the great 10-yd run he had. Dismiss the idea that a faster RB gets through that lane faster & maybe gets another 10-20 (or even 50) yards in the same situation.

3. Insist that running ramped over 10 weaklings in 2004 is the true mark of a rushing champion. ****ting the bed in playoff games is irrelevant.

4. Always refer to him as the 2004 Rushing Champion and/or a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, as though it has some bearing on how he

Archived