GJHam was almost right...Seth Payne was in NY yesterday

R44

Green Jets and Ham suggested yesterday the Jets should look at Seth Payne and few took notice, instead talking about every other DT around. However, while he was posting this, Payne was, in fact, meeting with the Jets (He re-signed with Houston while in NYC).

By the way, this could be the first Jets board with this info...Little JN :twisted:

By CARLTON THOMPSON

Houston Chronicle

Seth Payne found his way back to Houston on Wednesday, even if he did have to take the long way.

Payne departed Houston early Wednesday morning en route to New York for a visit with the Jets. Long after nightfall, the unrestricted free-agent nose tackle was back in Houston, where today he will put his signature on a four-year, $16 million contract that includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

Payne heard the Jets' sales pitch Wednesday and also had visits scheduled with Cleveland and New Orleans. But dialogue between his agent and the Texans continued, and an agreement was reached Wednesday evening.

"When I was driving to the airport (Wednesday) morning, I was resigned to leaving the city," Payne said. "I only got about two hours of sleep (Tuesday night). It was a tough feeling, but at the same time, I felt they had decided to go in another direction.

"It's not like I was trying to play the Jets or any of these other teams. I was not posturing. Both sides just got a better feel for what a fair price would be. To spend the first three years in Houston and then leave when they're on the verge of some really good things would have been tough."

Payne, who joined the team in the expansion draft, is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from surgery to repair two torn hamstring tendons and should be ready to rejoin the team's projected starting defensive line along with ends Gary Walker and Robaire Smith.

To spend the first three years in Houston and then leave when they're on the verge of some really good things would have been tough."

Man, I really wish that for once the Jets would get some players with that line of thinking.

Instead, we only seem to get money hungry guys that will jump ship as soon as the first offer to leave town is on the table.

If Herm is such a great players coach, then why the hell do all our players leave?

Thanks Riggo, but there was no way we were gonna sign Payne on the spot or refuse to allow him to leave the building without a deal, making it clear that the offer is OFF THE TABLE when he walks out the door

Why was there no way?

Same reason we lost Pat Williams .. cause at that point we were still obsessing over Jason Ferguson and our pissing contest with Parcells for this over-rated slob ... Guys like Williams and Payne were simply our fallback plans

Green Jets and Ham suggested yesterday the Jets should look at Seth Payne and few took notice, instead talking about every other DT around. However, while he was posting this, Payne was, in fact, meeting with the Jets (He re-signed with Houston while in NYC).

By the way, this could be the first Jets board with this info...Little JN :twisted:

By CARLTON THOMPSON

Houston Chronicle

Seth Payne found his way back to Houston on Wednesday, even if he did have to take the long way.

Payne departed Houston early Wednesday morning en route to New York for a visit with the Jets. Long after nightfall, the unrestricted free-agent nose tackle was back in Houston, where today he will put his signature on a four-year, $16 million contract that includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

Payne heard the Jets' sales pitch Wednesday and also had visits scheduled with Cleveland and New Orleans. But dialogue between his agent and the Texans continued, and an agreement was reached Wednesday evening.

"When I was driving to the airport (Wednesday) morning, I was resigned to leaving the city," Payne said. "I only got about two hours of sleep (Tuesday night). It was a tough feeling, but at the same time, I felt they had decided to go in another direction.

"It's not like I was trying to play the Jets or any of these other teams. I was not posturing. Both sides just got a better feel for what a fair price would be. To spend the first three years in Houston and then leave when they're on the verge of some really good things would have been tough."

Payne, who joined the team in the expansion draft, is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from surgery to repair two torn hamstring tendons and should be ready to rejoin the team's projected starting defensive line along with ends Gary Walker and Robaire Smith.

Riggs, is that bababooey in your avatar? or is that Oates from Hall & Oates?

LL

Archived