David Ball Going To CFL

jetsrule128

Record-setting receiver David Ball took another step toward his goal of playing professional football Tuesday when he headed north for a tryout with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Ball, who played at Spaulding High in Barre, said his agent told him Montreal wanted him for a tryout and that he would likely be assigned to the practice squad to start. He could be elevated once he learns the Alouettes' system.

"It is my understanding I will be signing with the practice squad. I don't even know the playbook. I just got to get up there and learn it," Ball said. "They feel I could help them out."

Ball could end up reunited with several old friends, including former University of New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos. Santos' passing helped Ball break Jerry Rice's NCAA Division I-AA touchdown reception record of 58 while with the Wildcats from 2003 to 2006.

"I'm going to try to surprise him," Ball said about joining Santos in Montreal.

Ball was in Burlington on Tuesday, waiting for another player to fly into Vermont before they were to be driven to Montreal. He could be on the field today but said it will be a short practice week because Montreal heads to Calgary for a game Friday night. The Alouettes then play host to Edmonton on Sept. 21.

After his New Hampshire career, Ball signed with the Chicago Bears but was among the last players cut at the end of the 2007 preseason. He was signed to the Bears' practice squad a few days later but was cut after about a month.

Ball signed with the New York Jets on Nov. 28 and was assigned to their practice squad. The Jets signed him for their regular roster on the final weekend of last year's regular season but he was not activated. He was with the Jets this preseason but again was among the last players released on the final day of cuts in August.

Ball said it took him three to four weeks to learn the Jet playbook last year and he is hoping to speed up the process in Montreal. The Al- ouettes have five receivers listed on their active roster.

The Alouettes are 7-3 and are in first place in the CFL's East Division.

David Ball has found a new football home 10 days after being released by the New York Jets.

The Spaulding High School graduate announced his intention Tuesday to sign a practice squad contract with the Montreal Alouettes, who compete in the eight-team Canadian Football League. One of Ball's teammates at the University of New Hampshire, quarterback Ricky Santos, is currently playing for the Alouettes and Ball hopes to be upgraded to the team's active roster by next week.

"I've only been out of work for a week, so I've been catching a football all the way until last week and I'm ready to go," Ball said. "If it's a fairly simple game plan and if I get my head in the (play) book, ideally I'd like to be out there next week."

Ball first heard about the potential contract on Tuesday morning after being contacted by his agents, Ralph Cindrich and Adam Van Rees of DeBartolo Sports and Entertainment. He quickly drove up to Burlington International Airport and planned to car-pool from there to Montreal.

Running-backs Brandon Whitaker and Quentin Griffin have been added to the practice roster, along with receiver David Ball.

MONTREAL -- David Ball is taking his dream of playing professional football north of the border.

The former standout wide receiver at Spaulding and UNH has signed a deal with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

"It's a great organization that's had a lot of success.", said Ball. "It's a great city and they love their football. For me, it's a chance to get back out there, make money doing what I love to do and I can't wait to get back out there."

Ball was with the Jets during the NFL preseason, but was one of the final players cut before the start of the regular season. After talking with his agent, Ball says he will initially be part of the Alouettes practice squad, but the opportunities will be there to make the active roster and earn playing time.

The Orange, Vermont resident and NCAA record holder for most career touchdown receptions says he is ready to temporarily put his NFL goals aside for this challenge.

"There's still an opportunity there (the NFL), but right now I've got to try something different that is also a great opportunity for anybody who's ever put on pads to have."

David is also thrilled that this move makes it much more likely that the people he is closest to will get the chance to see him in action.

"It's definitely the closest city that has professional sports to Barre. I think it's closer than Boston. It's a great opportunity for people who have followed me and all these people who have supported me over the years to get an opportunity to watch me play some pro ball."

Good luck in Montreal, David. Go out and become the biggest star the CFL has ever seen. Then, make your triumphant return to the Jets where you stick it to management by making them pay through the nose for your talent, simultaneously date Adriana Lima and Maria Ozawa, and eventually go to the Hall of Fame after breaking all NFL receiving records. Hey, it could happen. :)

The starting QBs in the CFL get around $350,000 a year, which is about one tenth of what NFL QB's get. Presumably other positions are paid accordingly. So a guy "going to the CFL" is taking quite a cut, although he still is making a damn good living playing football.

Anyway, just for the sake of curiousity, do you have the height, weight and 40 yard dash time for this Ball fellow? Most players from small colleges who stick for a time in the NFL are guys who know how to play the game pretty well but are just too small or too slow to make it.

Good luck in Montreal, David. Go out and become the biggest star the CFL has ever seen. Then, make your triumphant return to the Jets where you stick it to management by making them pay through the nose for your talent, simultaneously date Adriana Lima and Maria Ozawa, and eventually go to the Hall of Fame after breaking all NFL receiving records. Hey, it could happen. :)

Very nicely put Borgo. Good luck David. Hope you're back in the NFL soon.

Archived