Cashman \ Girardi

Maxman

All I'm hearing is Mariano told Girardi that he's got a "cranky" body, in general. He then kept getting asked similar questions and he got pissed off and was saying stuff like I'm answering the questions to the best of my knowledge, that's what the player said etc etc... Cashman is saying Mariano complained about having a sore shoulder and sent him for an MRI, and he might need minor arthroscopic surgery on it.

Whether Cashman is hiding something from Girardi, or if Mariano just told Cashman directly about the pain (sounds odd) and he went from there. I don't know though. Definitely some miscommunication, they gotta sort this stuff out fast. Rumors spread fast...

That was weird. I don't know how Girardi is as a manager or how well he makes in game decisions. From what I've seen it's been fair, not great and not terrible. His biggest issue to me is dealing with the media. I think he had the same issues in Florida, and they had like 2 beat writers covering the team. If he doesn't change his crazy ways, I don't see him lasting too long.

Rivera wanted to tell the press himself, and Girardi tried to play coy and deny there was any problem. More a miscommunication than anything else. Girardi apologized to the press, explaining he, Cashman and Rivera weren't all on the same page and that he didn't intend to mislead or lie to anyone. Bigger story-Rivera won't be available to save Mussina's 20th win Sunday, and he's probably going to get minor shoulder surgery. He will be ready for spring.

Archived