Omar, be smart...go to Japan and get Bobby V back

SouthernJet

If Manuel falls through, Valentine not opposed to talking with Mets

By Andrew Marchand

Special to ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: October 3, 2008, 12:31 PM ET

If the New York Mets are unable to sign Jerry Manuel to be their manager, Bobby Valentine sounds interested in returning to Queens.

Valentine is currently managing Chiba Lotte in Japan's professional league. He says he is happy there, but Valentine is not opposed to talking with the Mets. In an e-mail message, Valentine was asked: How much interest would you have in returning to manage the Mets?

"I am working for a team that needs me and wants me as their man," Valentine replied. "I love it here, but I am an American and love great challenges. I was a in a Met uniform in the '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000, and would love to be there in the next decade."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya is currently negotiating with Manuel to become the full-time manager. The talks, though, have stalled a bit. The Mets are reportedly only offering Manuel a two-year contract but Manuel reportedly wants a lengthier commitment.

Manuel took over for Willie Randolph in June and led the Mets to a 55-38 finish, but the Mets failed to make the playoffs after having a 3

No thanks. Bobby V isnt what this team needs. His schtick wont work with Delgado, Beltran... the supposed leaders of this team.

They need a solid manager who wont blink in times of struggle. Bobby V. is a joke.

One of the rare times I've got to disagree with you LBS. I wanted Bobby back before they canned Willie's ass. He's firey and won't put up with any guys doggin it. If Manuel, who I think deserves to come back for 09' ,falters I'd have Booby #1 on my speed dial. The only question I have is if Bobby speaks Spanish. :P

One of the rare times I've got to disagree with you LBS. I wanted Bobby back before they canned Willie's ass. He's firey and won't put up with any guys doggin it. If Manuel, who I think deserves to come back for 09' ,falters I'd have Booby #1 on my speed dial. The only question I have is if Bobby speaks Spanish. :P

I know a lot of people love Bobby V. and want him back as manager. I just dont think he's the right fit for this team. His way of doing things would turn off the veteran players and cause a major problem with the team.

He's more trouble than he's worth in my view.

I know a lot of people love Bobby V. and want him back as manager. I just dont think he's the right fit for this team. His way of doing things would turn off the veteran players and cause a major problem with the team.

He's more trouble than he's worth in my view.

Well they resigned Jerry so let's hope he gets the job done in 09'. I was impressed with his 55-38 record after taking over for Willie. That translates to 95-96 wins over a 162 game season. Not too shabby. i'll give him this year and let's see where we are at then.

Well they resigned Jerry so let's hope he gets the job done in 09'. I was impressed with his 55-38 record after taking over for Willie. That translates to 95-96 wins over a 162 game season. Not too shabby. i'll give him this year and let's see where we are at then.

I agree. If they suck again late in the year next year he will be gone. hopefully Omar will let him pick his coaching staff.

Archived