Delgado staying with Mets

NIGHT STALKER

NEW YORK -- Carlos Delgado's $12 million option for next year was exercised Friday by the New York Mets.

Following a terrible start, the 36-year-old first baseman hit .308 with 27 homers and 80 RBIs in 84 games from June 27 on. That left him with a final average of .271 with 38 homers and 115 RBIs.

"Carlos is a key part of our plans for 2009, and we wanted to let him know as quickly as allowed that we wanted him back," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said in a statement.

"Yesterday -- the day following the conclusion of the World Series -- was the first day that we could pick up the option per the contract. It was our full intent to promptly close our deal with Carlos, and that's what we did."

New York had until next Wednesday to exercise the option. If the Mets had declined, they would have owed him a $4 million buyout.

Pedro Martinez was among six Mets who filed for free agency Friday, a group that included outfielder Moises Alou, second baseman Ramon Martinez and pitchers Tony Armas Jr., Luis Ayala and Ricardo Rincon.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Now, I don't have much knowledge of the Mets, but I don't really like this for them. I personally think the way he played late this season was a fluke, and he'll go back to batting .240 again.

:rl: Stick to the Yankee roster JCB. Delgado has a lifetime .280 avg. The Mets did a good deal just one year and for $4 mil LESS than this year.

:rl: Stick to the Yankee roster JCB. Delgado has a lifetime .280 avg. The Mets did a good deal just one year and for $4 mil LESS than this year.

He may be hitting .280 for his career, but the last time he had an average of .280 or higher was 2005 with the Marlins.

It's safe to say he's not the same guy who can hit near .300. The Mets should have tried to trade for a guy like Adrian Gonzalez, and he's a player whose maybe not even in his prime yet, can hit near 40 homers, and bat a higher average then Delgado right now.

I don't like this for the Mets, and I will be laughing when he's batting near .240 after the first 2 weeks of the season.

Now, I don't have much knowledge of the Mets, but I don't really like this for them. I personally think the way he played late this season was a fluke, and he'll go back to batting .240 again.

I think the Mets should have tried to trade for a younger first baseman, or went after Teixeira.

Actually except for 2007 Delgado always puts up the numbers he did this year.

Other than Tex there was no better option.

He may be hitting .280 for his career, but the last time he had an average of .280 or higher was 2005 with the Marlins.

It's safe to say he's not the same guy who can hit near .300. The Mets should have tried to trade for a guy like Adrian Gonzalez, and he's a player whose maybe not even in his prime yet, can hit near 40 homers, and bat a higher average then Delgado right now.

I don't like this for the Mets, and I will be laughing when he's batting near .240 after the first 2 weeks of the season.

Padres GM Kevin Towers said he has no intention of trading Adrian Gonzalez this winter.

Even if the Padres do decide to blow up the team, Gonzalez is a keeper. "Adrian would be the most difficult guy for us to move," Towers said. "I don't see any circumstances in which we would do it. He is young, under control for three more years, has plus offense and plus defense." Gonzalez will make $7.75 million over the next two years. The Padres have an option for 2011 at $5.5 million.

Padres GM Kevin Towers said he has no intention of trading Adrian Gonzalez this winter.

Even if the Padres do decide to blow up the team, Gonzalez is a keeper. "Adrian would be the most difficult guy for us to move," Towers said. "I don't see any circumstances in which we would do it. He is young, under control for three more years, has plus offense and plus defense." Gonzalez will make $7.75 million over the next two years. The Padres have an option for 2011 at $5.5 million.

I guess the Mets really have no choice then to keep him, if Gonzalez wasn't available, and they have no intentions in getting into a bidding war over Teixeira, then yeah they made the right choice, especially since it's a 1 year deal.

I guess the Mets really have no choice then to keep him, if Gonzalez wasn't available, and they have no intentions in getting into a bidding war over Teixeira, then yeah they made the right choice, especially since it's a 1 year deal.

Yes that and Gonzalez is horrifically under paid. Would take a big package in return to move a player that good when he makes peanuts.

:rl: That's a REAL stupid statement since he's a slow starter. Always has been. In fact he was hitting around .220 after the 1st month of the year. It's how you do for the season and in the clutch that counts. It's like if Wang starts 1-3 for April and finishes 21-6. Would any normal person be lauching that he started 1-3? No. I'm really surprised by your post.

I dont like it.

Im not happy.

But we really had no other option.

We need a 2b more. We need 2 SP more. We need 2-3 RP more. They need to spend the money there, not on chasing Texieria as much as I would love to have him.

Exactly. Hopefully Omar will address those needs in the off season.

Archived