Messier to join the Texas Tornado

R44

.....That's Lyon Messier, who recently turned 18.

Yes, that is the son of Mark Messier. A son few knew he had with a Washington D.C area model, I think, he dated briefly.

Always thought Sam and J.D refered to him as "Tiger Messier', but I guess I was wrong (or they were).

Messier.JPG

http://www.tornadohockey.com/

BTY, here's an update on Mark Messier...Edmonton Oilers?

Based on how played for NY in 2004, I don't think it's totally crazy that he plays another season....Lindros, per my opinion, looked more washed-up in 2004 :shock:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/FreeAgents/2005/08/18/1178260-sun.html

Thanks for the info R44

Mark Messier can still play in the league -not a full time player maybe but still has the skills to play -I have no doubt about that. I Have not really seen anything about him mentioned

You know faba, it's too bad Lyon isn't much of prospect, because Messier could sort of recreate the Howe thing--Gordie and his 2 sons playing for the Whalers.

I don't remember that happening, but went back and bought the retro-hockey cards--1980 Topps Gordie, Mark and Marty all on the same team.

Marty Howe (the obscure Howe), by the way, was the Whalers play by play man on radio before they left (around 1996).....

Absolutely one of the best and brightest analyst I've ever listened to--it's amazing, with his last name, he never worked for ESPN or a major market team....It's somewhat suprising, because Gordie was always perceived as somewaht "inarticulate" and "not too sharpe", according to hickey historians.

By the way, Brett Hull was perceived as a "joke prospect" at one point to....Folks thought the NHL just handed him spot due to his name.....wasn't true.

That propably was true back in 1993, when the expansion Lightning added Brent Gretzky for a few games to play his much older brother Wayne and the Kings.

Marty Howe (the obscure Howe), by the way, was the Whalers play by play man on radio before they left (around 1996).....

Interesting. I didn't know that Marty did the games on radio for the Whalers. Must have been cool to play with both his brother and father. Brother Mark was a solid defenseman with the Flyers for about 10 seasons or so. He was the better player of the two.

Also didn't know that Gordie was perceived as inarticulate by most. I've heard him in several interviews and didn't get that impression at all. At any rate, certainly one of the best players in the game, along with one of the most humble! He was a real role model and there should be more like him.

3G, Gordie, in his day, had the strong wrap of being the dumb jock. ESPN Classic's Sport Century did a whole thing about that.....Gordie absolutely hated the fact that he was perceived as dumb and gullible, but could never shake it because he was a poor, western Canadian farm-boy with little formal education.

Matter of fact, some "old-time" players don't talk to him to this day, because they felt the owners used "gullible Gordie" to fight against the formations of unions, need for higher salaries and better benefits in the 1950's and 1960's....Word was, Gordie was such a big star in his day, but would never fight for players rights and just accepted "any offer" the owners put in front of him. Gordie claims he wasn't naive, just ultra-loyal to his team.

Gordie, BTY, always freely tells the story of how his wife Colleen (who is presently very sick) was very bright and did all the talking and negotiating for him. Mostly, Colleen brains made him a rich person after his career was over--books, setting up business', ect.

Marty Howe, according to legend, wasn't even close to NHL caliber. He came in package with Gordie and Mark.

You are right about Mark---great NHL player.....Whalers traded him to Philly in the mid 1980's after he was impaled by a loose goal post, causing a very serious injury (thought to be almost career ending).

Word is Gordie, who worked for the Whalers at the time, threw a total fit about the Whalers doctors being incompetent and forced the deal.....That brought about an awful trade (from the Whalers standpoint) to Philly.

BTY, Gordie is ultimate nice person....When I went college in the area, I can remember seeing a bunch former stars in the 1990's at playoff games....Cheever, Derek Sanderson, Bobby Orr (who worked for the Whalers out of spite to Boston)ect and never cared about them.....But, always really wished I saw Gordie (him and Colleen where at most games) and I would've loved to talk to him. Everyone else I knew, who met Gordie, glowed about him.......Heck, Jeremy Roenick, who lived in a couple Connecticut towns growing up, still brags about meeting Gordie as a kid.

I met Gordie, along with Devecchio and Mahalovich (sp??) many years ago, after a Wings - Rangers game. They were heading out to eat along 33rd street, heading towards the East Side. I had no idea who they were, but some Rangers fans walking near us called them out. They were very gracious, and chatted for a few moments. Gordie spoke English, as did Devecchio, but Mahalovich didn't, or wouldn't. But they signed a scorecard for us.

Nice guys.

I was a kid back then, and to me they looked like such big guys. Then I went to a Knicks game shortly thereafter, and Bellamy looked like he wouldn't fit through the door!!

Archived