Report: Tigers get SS Wilson from Pirates

The Gun Of Bavaria

Well there you have it, the World Series in Detroit this year. LOL

Jack Wilson? Come on, give me a break. Too bad our rotation is still a disaster and the bullpen is a disgrace.

The Detroit News

The Tigers have acquired shortstop Jack Wilson from the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting.

Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger writes in a blog that the deal is "done," and attributes the information to "a person familiar with the deal." Graziano does not report on which players the Pirates will receive in return.

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, however, says, "No deal has been finalized," according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"We have ongoing talks with a number of teams," Huntington is quoted as saying. "But I do not want to comment on any rumors."

Wilson, who turns 31 on Dec. 29, hit .272 in 87 games with the Pirates in 2008. He has been the Pirates' regular shortstop since 2001 and is a career .269 hitter.

He was limited to 87 games in 2008 due to various injuries.

Wilson's best season was 2004, when he hit .308 with 11 homers, 41 doubles and 12 triples.

Wilson is a reliable defensive player and has averaged 14 errors over eight major-league seasons.

Well there you have it, the World Series in Detroit this year. LOL

Jack Wilson? Come on, give me a break. Too bad our rotation is still a disaster and the bullpen is a disgrace.

The Detroit News

The Tigers have acquired shortstop Jack Wilson from the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting.

Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger writes in a blog that the deal is "done," and attributes the information to "a person familiar with the deal." Graziano does not report on which players the Pirates will receive in return.

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, however, says, "No deal has been finalized," according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"We have ongoing talks with a number of teams," Huntington is quoted as saying. "But I do not want to comment on any rumors."

Wilson, who turns 31 on Dec. 29, hit .272 in 87 games with the Pirates in 2008. He has been the Pirates' regular shortstop since 2001 and is a career .269 hitter.

He was limited to 87 games in 2008 due to various injuries.

Wilson's best season was 2004, when he hit .308 with 11 homers, 41 doubles and 12 triples.

Wilson is a reliable defensive player and has averaged 14 errors over eight major-league seasons.

Dumb question

Why is the Newark star Ledger reporting this? detroit papers are bankrupt too!

Sharrow could give you a much better scouting report, but from what I saw of Wilson, his glove is very good, he has great athleticism and is nimble around the bag.

His hitting will be awful, or close to it, and then he will go on a streak where you can't get him out for 2 weeks.

If you have a decent offense to build around him (the Tigers should), he will hold his position in the middle.

Archived