Jets GM Tannenbaum looks forward to NFL combine

SoFlaJets

One would assume a "numbers guy" like Mike Tannenbaum would greatly enjoy the NFL combine, the league's annual predraft event in Indianapolis where many of the top collegiate prospects are repeatedly tested, timed, poked, prodded and graded.

The assumption is correct.

"I really do," the Jets general manager said in a telephone interview yesterday morning.

Tannenbaum, along with new coach Rex Ryan, leads the Jets contingent that heads to Indianapolis this morning. Also attending from the Jets are members of Ryan's coaching staff, the college scouting department and members from the team's medical department.

The combine, which lasts until Tuesday, gives the Jets and the rest of the league's teams an opportunity to get up close and personal with the roughly 300 collegiate players invited to Indianapolis. Besides the battery of physical and mental tests teams put the players through, Tannenbaum said the individual interviews can tell teams a lot as well.

"We have 60 interviews and they're 60 intriguing stories," Tannenbaum said. "It's 60 people we're going to meet and they're going to tell us about themselves. You're going to learn something about these guys you didn't know. It's fascinating."

During and after the NFL combine the phrase "workout wonder" becomes oft-used verbiage as a result of the various strength and agility tests.

Vernon Gholston wowed some - but not all - scouts during last season's combine and the Jets selected the Ohio State defensive end, who struggled his rookie season when he was converted to outside linebacker, with the sixth overall pick. Another player who helped himself at the 2008 combine was tight end Dustin Keller, whose speed and route-running impressed scouts. The Jets traded back into the first round to select Keller, who had a good first season.

"If someone has an exceptional workout that exceeds expectations, you take that into account," Tannenbaum said, speaking generally. "But at the end of the day, these are football players and what they do on the field is what's most important."

Notes & quotes: Tannenbaum declined to comment on varying reports regarding the Jets salary cap situation. Depending on the outlet, it has been reported that the Jets are as much as $34 million over the cap and nearly $20 million under it. "I would say we're comfortable with our cap situation," Tannenbaum said. "We're just about done with our plan. I understand why there could be discrepancies with our salary cap. When you try to track where teams are, there's ways you can create room and they're not as transparent as you might think. We have a certain way we like to do things that we feel allows us flexibility on a year-to-year basis." . . . The Jets brought in receiver/special teamer Kelley Washington, released by the Patriots Tuesday in a salary cap move, last night for an interview, according to nfl.com.

Are there any GM's that don't look forward to the combine? Duh.

this gets me;

Notes & quotes: Tannenbaum declined to comment on varying reports regarding the Jets salary cap situation. Depending on the outlet, it has been reported that the Jets are as much as $34 million over the cap and nearly $20 million under it. "

that's a 54 million dollar discrepancy

paging Sperm Edwards

this gets me;

Notes & quotes: Tannenbaum declined to comment on varying reports regarding the Jets salary cap situation. Depending on the outlet, it has been reported that the Jets are as much as $34 million over the cap and nearly $20 million under it. "

that's a 54 million dollar discrepancy

paging Sperm Edwards

The Jets are $35M over the cap.

Archived