jets moving quietly........daily news

spjets

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/28...6p-245707c.html

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets have their eye on Denver tight end Jeb Putzier (l.)

As they watched yet another important free agent bolt yesterday for an oversized pot of gold, the Jets quietly went about their business, making two moves that will be greeted with more yawns than fawns.

Which isn't to suggest they're bad moves. Actually, the Jets may have solved their long search for a pass-receiving tight end, signing the Broncos' Jeb Putzier to a five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet that includes a $2.5 million signing bonus.

The unheralded Putzier is a restricted free agent, which means the Broncos have seven days to match the offer. If they decline, they would receive the Jets' sixth-round draft pick as compensation. The Broncos see Putzier as an emerging player, and there's a good chance they will match.

The Jets also signed former Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree, who received a five-year, $7.3 million package, including $500,000 to sign. No, he won't fill the nose-tackle vacancy created by Jason Ferguson's departure to the Cowboys, but Legree should provide valuable depth.

The additions came on a day in which talented right tackle Kareem McKenzie signed a seven-year, $37.75 million deal with the Giants. Once the season ended, the Jets never were in the running. It's unclear how they plan to replace McKenzie.

In the first three days of free agency, the Jets lost LaMont Jordan, Ferguson and McKenzie to contracts totaling $86 million.

The Jets have yet to make a big splash, but they will have secured one of the top sleepers in the free-agent pool if they wind up with Putzier, who caught 36 passes last season for 572 yards and two touchdowns.

Of the 14 tight ends who recorded at least 30 receptions, Putzier's 15.9 yards-per-catch average was second only to the Falcons' Alge Crumpler (16.1). The Broncos may have goofed by not putting a first-round tender on Putzier, opening the door for suitors.

The Jets didn't announce the offer sheet, but it was confirmed by Putzier's agent, Joseph Linta.

"If you're a tight end, this is where you want to be," said Linta, referring to the Jets' offense.

Incumbent Anthony Becht, an unrestricted free agent, will start making visits next weeks. One stop is likely to be the Bucs. There's little chance of him returning to the Jets. Without McKenzie and Becht, the Jets won't have two of the key ingredients that made their power-running game so effective. Putzier is regarded as a marginal blocker.

Flashes

BLAYLOCK ABOARD: The Jets made it official yesterday, announcing the signing of former Chiefs RB Derrick Blaylock. Asked if he will feel pressure to replace Jordan, Blaylock said, "I guarantee, the fans will appreciate the job I get done." ... The Jets hired former Bills and Patriots RB Sam Gash to be an assistant running backs/assistant special teams coach. ... Backup DT Alan Harper was re-signed

"If you're a TE, this is where you want to be"? What gave him that impression, Becht's 14 catches last season? More agent gobbledy-gook. The Broncos will match that measly $2.5 mil bonus about 20 minutes after they realize Putzier's agent isn't actually joking.

This is typical Jets monkey business--don't have a plan, just react to everything and hope it works out. This is Bradway on March 5th: "Ahhh! Lamont is gone!? OK, we'll sign Blaylock, who no one else wanted. Ahhhh! Ferguson is gone? Sign Pat Williams! What!? He's gone too? We were too slow, they said!? Quick! Sign Lance Legree, who no one else wants! WHat!? We lost MacKenzie!?? Let's sign, ummmmmm, who's left? Why didn't somebodt tell me that free agency was starting!? WHat do I PAY you people for?"

"If you're a TE, this is where you want to be"? What gave him that impression, Becht's 14 catches last season? More agent gobbledy-gook. The Broncos will match that measly $2.5 mil bonus about 20 minutes after they realize Putzier's agent isn't actually joking.

No Bechts 37 drops!!!

This is typical Jets monkey business--don't have a plan, just react to everything and hope it works out. This is Bradway on March 5th: "Ahhh! Lamont is gone!? OK, we'll sign Blaylock, who no one else wanted. Ahhhh! Ferguson is gone? Sign Pat Williams! What!? He's gone too? We were too slow, they said!? Quick! Sign Lance Legree, who no one else wants! WHat!? We lost MacKenzie!?? Let's sign, ummmmmm, who's left? Why didn't somebodt tell me that free agency was starting!? WHat do I PAY you people for?"

its based on the system that dinger will bring and the 2 TE sets he plays

also realize this ....Broncs are 1.7 under the cap and Putz's contract has a hit of 1.5 mill the first year, they would have to go through alot of trouble eitehr cutting or restructuring guys to keep him and not much time to do it in

they have alot of issues with the cap there and this may be one they cant address quick enough, great move if it works and I think it will

Archived