Darrius Heyward-Bey YouTube Highlights

SoFlaJets

What I liked:

1. Has good speed and quickness enabling him to get separation.

2. Has good hands and can make the difficult catches.

What I didn't like:

1. Quits on routes. I saw him get open and the ball was well thrown. If he had kept running it probably hits him in stride. Instead, he stops and turns it in to a jump ball (which he catches, but it allows the defender to easily catch up and make the tackle).

2. No highlights of him blocking downfield for someone else

All in all, not sure if he's the right value at 17.

Instant Karma, most accounts have DHB as a very willing blocker. Of course, being willing as a blocker and blocking well are 2 different things, but it at least shows the willingness to try.

Really though, the issue with DHB is right now he's still a little more of a track star then a WR. He doesn't run routes well, there's some questions about his toughness (Although I personally believe they are largely overblown), but most importantly is despite having his fair share of highlights, was easily the least productive WR among those considered for the 1st round (Most of his supporters are quick to point to Poor QB play and a Run-First Offense that didn't target him enough, but Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt seemed to perform just fine in spite of that).

But with his size and his speed and his seemingly good hands, his upside is being an Truly Elite WR in a couple years, and it's not very often you have the chance to grab someone with that kind of ceiling. It's a high risk pick, but a chance you can easily justify taking.

What I liked:

1. Has good speed and quickness enabling him to get separation.

2. Has good hands and can make the difficult catches.

What I didn't like:

1. Quits on routes. I saw him get open and the ball was well thrown. If he had kept running it probably hits him in stride. Instead, he stops and turns it in to a jump ball (which he catches, but it allows the defender to easily catch up and make the tackle).

2. No highlights of him blocking downfield for someone else

All in all, not sure if he's the right value at 17.

Both of those issues can be fixed with coaching, as long as he's coachable, most busts result from not being able to learn the game or not having good enough coaching. Bey is a boom or bust pick, this is true, but I think the offseason has shown that they can take that risk with this pick. It really all comes down to what Ellard and Schotty think of DHB, Nicks, Maclin and Harvin. If I know Rex and Tanny they will do their due dilligence on all of them before making a decision and so far those two have given me no reason to doubt them.

Archived