The 'save' needs to be revisited

LionelRichie

the save has to be one of the worst statistics in baseball. how the **** does this line anything other than kick in the nuts? k-rod friday: 1IP 2H 2ER

how about pitching the 7th, 8th, and 9th with a 10 run lead?

worst stat in baseball hands down.

Unless you're the Tigers closer......than you have no idea what the stat means.

the save has to be one of the worst statistics in baseball. how the **** does this line anything other than kick in the nuts? k-rod friday: 1IP 2H 2ER

how about pitching the 7th, 8th, and 9th with a 10 run lead?

worst stat in baseball hands down.

It really is an awful stat that has changed the way the game is run. Sometimes the most important part of the game can come in the 7th, but you'll never see a closer used there because he needs to be available to get the "save"

I have often felt that while the closer has a very important job, the guy getting 2 huge outs in the 6th or 7th with runners on in a 1 run game is more important. And all he gets credited for is a "hold", which does not translate into any $$$$ come contract time.

I have often felt that while the closer has a very important job, the guy getting 2 huge outs in the 6th or 7th with runners on in a 1 run game is more important. And all he gets credited for is a "hold", which does not translate into any $$$$ come contract time.

Great point.

I do not know which baseball guy on TV had that theory, but they were saying the closer should come in between the 6th-8th as the game dictates for that exact situation. Then go to the the normal set-up men to get the 'hold' and closeout the game.

Great point.

I do not know which baseball guy on TV had that theory, but they were saying the closer should come in between the 6th-8th as the game dictates for that exact situation. Then go to the the normal set-up men to get the 'hold' and closeout the game.

I agree to this. Maybe not exactly as stated here, but along these lines. Basically, the "SAVE" goes to the guy who pitched out of the 'pen, in the most critical moment of the game, for the winning team.

I agree to this. Maybe not exactly as stated here, but along these lines. Basically, the "SAVE" goes to the guy who pitched out of the 'pen, in the most critical moment of the game, for the winning team.

I agree.

The guy's point was, for example, coming in with the tying or winning run at the plate late in the game. The pitcher gets out of the situation and warns the save. Just not pitching the ninth with a lead. I would bet that batters are more undisciplined at the plate looking to get on.

Archived