NFL Parity

Scott Dierking

As much as the League has tried, as much as Rozelle wanted it, and much as they re-shaped rules for player acquisition, free-agency, draft position, schedule balance, despite all of those changes, the NFL is as far away from parity as it probably has been since the hey day of the '70's.

And that is probably a good thing.

The bottom line is, as it is in most professional sports leagues in this age, well run organizations with firm ownership foundations that have smart front offices and coaching hierarchies are consistently better and show those results on the field.

It has nothing to do with Free Agency or the amount of money that you spend. It emanates from organizational philosophies and finding players that fit your philosophies.

The steepening salary cap has done little to force teams to make "hard" decisions on players they want to keep. In reality, it has made it easier for good organizations to discard former valuable talent that is no longer needed.

Smart organizations win. Dumb ones don't.

Today's NFL is a greater representation and spread of that inequality than any other sport today.

And it will make it a greater sport.

Well said. I don't think its a bad thing that there has been less parity, either. Its a shame for fans who follow organizations like the Raiders and Browns, but at least its not the league that these fans are going to point the finger at (like they do in MLB), but the OWNERS.

Well said. I don't think its a bad thing that there has been less parity, either. Its a shame for fans who follow organizations like the Raiders and Browns, but at least its not the league that these fans are going to point the finger at (like they do in MLB), but the OWNERS.

Add in the Rams. I mean they had the greatest show on turf not that long ago. Now their sold to Limbaugh and their gonna be moved. I mean how embarrassing must it feel to go from top to bottom so fast.

Add in the Rams. I mean they had the greatest show on turf not that long ago. Now their sold to Limbaugh and their gonna be moved. I mean how embarrassing must it feel to go from top to bottom so fast.

True, but at least they GOT to the top, fairly recently. The Raiders haven't been relevant in years, while the Browns and Lions haven't been relevant, well, ever.

True, but at least they GOT to the top, fairly recently. The Raiders haven't been relevant in years, while the Browns and Lions haven't been relevant, well, ever.

The Raiders aren't too far removed from a SB appearance.

They've just been so bad since people hardly acknowledge them as a sports team

Archived