Xbox360 "red rings of death"

haggis

My boy says his xbox has this. It has 2 red flashing lights on it. He got them off by using a blanket and sleeping bag. Don't ask, he heard it somewhere. So my question to all gaming/techno punters is: is this thing rubber ducked, or can it be salvaged and, if so, how much will it fleece me?

cheers!

You have an overheating xbox, so if you haven't already move it to a well-ventilated spot on a hard ground. If it's like that and you're getting the two lights on boot-up, your graphics card is ****ed up. The problem is usually in the soldering microsoft uses--it warps really quickly. The idea behind sticking the thing in a blanket is to re-warp it back to where it naturally lies. It's usually only temporary.

If you are within warranty (call 1-800-4-my-xbox to find out) they'll send you a box and you just gotta send them the console and they'll fix it or replace it for free. If out of warranty, you can open up your 360 and get something like x clamp fix to readjust those solders. You can google that as I have personally never done it.

Another tip is if you are covered by the three year warranty for three red lights and only have two. Stick your 360 in a freezer overnight and you'll get that third ring to be covered by the 3 year warranty.

My boy says his xbox has this. It has 2 red flashing lights on it. He got them off by using a blanket and sleeping bag. Don't ask, he heard it somewhere. So my question to all gaming/techno punters is: is this thing rubber ducked, or can it be salvaged and, if so, how much will it fleece me?

cheers!

Had it happen 2 times..

1st time i tried the overheat method with the blankets, i think it lasted a few days. Then i tried a few other tactics that involved openning the xbox up which didn't work much better. So i just bit the bullet and bought a new one @ Best Buy with the extended warranty.

When that one failed I returned it and got a new one, but didn't get the extended warranty cause it's not longer covered.

The good news is that MS will fix for free. The bad news is you have no xbox for a month.

Had it happen 2 times..

1st time i tried the overheat method with the blankets, i think it lasted a few days. Then i tried a few other tactics that involved openning the xbox up which didn't work much better. So i just bit the bullet and bought a new one @ Best Buy with the extended warranty.

When that one failed I returned it and got a new one, but didn't get the extended warranty cause it's not longer covered.

The good news is that MS will fix for free. The bad news is you have no xbox for a month.

Should've just forced it the three red lights, or just said it had that, it's the tried and true method!

Should've just forced it the three red lights, or just said it had that, it's the tried and true method!

YEah i read that, but not worth the time to send it back. Rather just by a new one.. That damn Xbox runs everything these days.. I stream Netflix, BitTorrent and Amazon On Demand to it, not to mention music wired into surround sound. It's the family room DVD player and of course for games.

If we lost that thing we'd have to talk to one another which is NG

My boy is frantic about this and has been scouring all things on the net about it all night and morning. He claims now that washers are needed as the GPU unit vibrates and dislodges. Says those 10 rubber washers will save the day. Truth or bull****?

And what about those downloads for $30 that say they'll provide instructions to save it.

I'm a total novice with this.

My boy is frantic about this and has been scouring all things on the net about it all night and morning. He claims now that washers are needed as the GPU unit vibrates and dislodges. Says those 10 rubber washers will save the day. Truth or bull****?

And what about those downloads for $30 that say they'll provide instructions to save it.

I'm a total novice with this.

just send it in and let them fix it.....it probably comes with a warranty. this will give your kid a chance to see that there's life besides video games. my 5 year old is already too into video games......lol. but he's good at them. but i sign him up for poop warner andf tee-ball. and imake him go outside with me to toss the football around or ride his bike etc..... just because i don't want him to think he can just sit around playing video games all the time. i have to admit it's kinda funny to watch a 5 year old own alot of older players in modern warfare.

I guess it is 1 red light and E74 message. He says we need thermal paste now! LOL he is so desperate for a quick fix.

There's an electronics dept at the school I work at, I'm sure the technobeavers there will have a good idea of what to do. But I think calling and sending it in will end up being what has to be done.

I guess it is 1 red light and E74 message. He says we need thermal paste now! LOL he is so desperate for a quick fix.

There's an electronics dept at the school I work at, I'm sure the technobeavers there will have a good idea of what to do. But I think calling and sending it in will end up being what has to be done.

Once you open the box the warranty is invalid.. I would either try and fix on your own, and understand it may mean you have to buy a new one, or do what WE said, force the 3 rings and send back to MS

Once you open the box the warranty is invalid.. I would either try and fix on your own, and understand it may mean you have to buy a new one, or do what WE said, force the 3 rings and send back to MS

Probably won't need to force it, but you can if you want.

I have numerous JN clients, including Max and Thor that can attest to my abilities. LOL

Archived