Any Scotch drinkers here?

HessStation

I've heard blends are the better whiskys. I have had Chrivas Regal Royal Salute and find that helps that argument.

c00a70755b4d1ad01343e068309ef7f2-chivas_regal_3-480x360.jpg

I have no words to respond to that opinion...

Incorrect. There are some very good blends (the pure malts, basically a blend that isn't cut with grain alcohol), but essentially the blending process just muddies the flavors of different single malts into an amalgam that tastes average but consistent.

Give me a single-malt any day.

That said, Chivas or Grouse (reserve if possible) if you're going to go with a blend.

Incorrect. There are some very good blends (the pure malts, basically a blend that isn't cut with grain alcohol), but essentially the blending process just muddies the flavors of different single malts into an amalgam that tastes average but consistent.

That said, Chivas or Grouse (reserve if possible) if you're going to go with a blend.

I always drank Dewars and Cokes and stuff like that. Then bought a bottle of JW Black put it on ice and really started liking Scotch. Now that I'm into the single malts it's like a different world. I still like to use the ice but not as much So I thought I was gonna be a Glenfiddich fan. I loved the 12 year. But now that I've tried the Glenlivet I think I may like it better. I actually really liked the Jameson 12 Irish Whiskey I bought from last week too.

So I'm still in the Highlands here (tried Glenfiddich, Macallan and Glenlivet). I'm thinking of picking up a Lagavulin 16 tomorrow for a glass or two. Apparently the Islay is a different taste all together. I've only hit the Speyside single malts so far.

Long story short (although only messing with this for a very limited time) I can see how there really is no comparison between to the single malts I've tried and the blends.

I'm thinking of picking up a Lagavulin 16 tomorrow for a glass or two. Apparently the Islay is a different taste all together. I've only hit the Speyside single malts so far.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the region is really important (though the "highland" region is very broad, flavor-wise). Drink scotches from the region that match your taste. I've discovered that the peaty/smokey smoothness of the Islay malts is what I enjoy, though I have a neighbor who won't drink a smokey scotch and prefers the highland & speyside malts.

Lagavulin is my favorite scotch. Laphroig, Oban and Talisker are also high on my list, however.

Does anyone know if Scotch or any Whiskey goes bad once the bottle is opened?

The answer is: Maybe.

It will evaporate/oxidize. Store it at room temperature standing up (not on it's side like a wine bottle), keep it out of strong light and keep it corked when you aren't actively pouring.

It takes a while to oxidize though, so you probably have a year or two to drink it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the region is really important (though the "highland" region is very broad, flavor-wise). Drink scotches from the region that match your taste. I've discovered that the peaty/smokey smoothness of the Islay malts is what I enjoy, though I have a neighbor who won't drink a smokey scotch and prefers the highland & speyside malts.

Lagavulin is my favorite scotch. Laphroig, Oban and Talisker are also high on my list, however.

The answer is: Maybe.

It will evaporate/oxidize. Store it at room temperature standing up (not on it's side like a wine bottle), keep it out of strong light and keep it corked when you aren't actively pouring.

It takes a while to oxidize though, so you probably have a year or two to drink it.

Thanks uart. Best thing about a good scotch btw. A good buzz yet no hangover. :cheers:

In the Navy they had a "duty free sale" on my ship and I got a bottle of Royal Salute for like 30 bucks. (in 1987)

I was a kid, thought scotch tasted funky and this stuff was pretty much the same. So I guess I'm just not a scotch person.

I like to sip good bourbon on ice or with coke.

ROY1&w=270

Never said it was my opinion, just one I had heard. Look, I used to be a staunch "single-malt-straight-up-don't-you-even-think-about-putting-a-molecule-of-water-in-there-as-I-love-the-burn-I'm-tough" kind of guy. I thought single malt HAD to be taken straight and that anyone who didn't was a wuss and not doing it right. In truth, there are still a few single malts where I may still do that. But, truth be told, the whisky is expected to be taken with a little water. You show me where it is stated that adding to whisky takes away from the product. The amount depends on preference. My brother, who has a degree in brewing and distilling swears that whisky should be 3 parts water, 1 part whisky. To me that is too much. But I have come believe that a little water opens up more flavour. When you take neat single malt and you get that shot of burn and intensity, it is brief and you actually overwhelm your taste buds so that they miss out on the full flavour the whisky has. So I take a splash. Not much, but enough to see when that water is added, you almost see the whisky open up. You should try it.

But I'm not saying you MUST take it with water. At the end of the day it is all about preference. All I know is I used to be a pure straight malt guy, and now I take a splash (literally a splash, not much and always good water). When I tended bar back in Scotland I always wondered why the true, salt of the earth bars had a wee jug of water on every table and how my boss was on me to make sure the water was kept fresh. Now I know.

Typically I have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 or 15 years at home. I don't keep beer at the house, and rarely drink at home in general. I also appreciate Glenmorangie, though I rarely buy it. Usually its something I look for when I am out.

I like to pour water in the glass, empty/drink it, then pour in my Scotch. I find it's enough water to help it open up... without watering it down. No ice.

Meh. Call me a total pu**y but I like mine with ice. I don't load it up but I do add 2-3 cubes. I can still personally taste the difference in flavor.

Anyway, is a few cubes of ice considered worse than adding water?

Right now I have the Glenlevit 15, Macallan 12, Glenfiddich 12 and Jameson 12 all open. Last two nights I've been switching it up from glass to glass. One thing I've noticed, when you do this, the second glass (doesn't matter what it is) doesn't taste as good as the first. I think I've learned whatever I start with I should finish with for the night.

uart, I did buy a bottle of Laguvulin 16 but I'm waiting to finish what I have before opening. (it just makes my bar look nicer for now). Very excited as it will be my first Islay.

Alright, thanks again to everyone in this thread. You've helped me out a lot. Drinking a little whiskey on the weekends is much more satifying than drinking beer or glasses of wine.

Scotch "appreciation" question: I know I said I don't like scotch, but my curiosity is piqued....What are you guys tasting FOR with scotch?

With bourbon, I like the bit of 'corn'-type undertones in the flavor. That corn flavor is an illusion, because the flavor comes from the soot inside the barrel, but I still like it.

But scotch's flavor seems...frankly...obnoxious. Is appreciation of scotch simply about being 'tough' and putting up with bizarre flavors, or is there something in that flavor you seek? (I can put up with obnoxious if I know what flavors I'm looking for...that's why we drink beer.)

Scotch "appreciation" question: I know I said I don't like scotch, but my curiosity is piqued....What are you guys tasting FOR with scotch?

With bourbon, I like the bit of 'corn'-type undertones in the flavor. That corn flavor is an illusion, because the flavor comes from the soot inside the barrel, but I still like it.

But scotch's flavor seems...frankly...obnoxious. Is appreciation of scotch simply about being 'tough' and putting up with bizarre flavors, or is there something in that flavor you seek? (I can put up with obnoxious if I know what flavors I'm looking for...that's why we drink beer.)

For me, I like the peaty, smokey flavours that come with Laphroiag.

Yeah, it kind of is. Try whiskey stones instead: http://www.teroforma.com/Set_of_9_Whisky_Stones_20187.html Or chill your glass before you pour.

Honestly though the scotch DOES have a bouquet, and that could be diminished by cooling the scotch. I usually drink it around room temp or with the chilled glass.

uart, I did buy a bottle of Laguvulin 16 but I'm waiting to finish what I have before opening. (it just makes my bar look nicer for now). Very excited as it will be my first Islay.

Let me know what you think!

Laphroaig is one of my favorites (I am, however, a sucker for Islay malts). It has a bit of saltiness to it that I haven't experienced with other whiskeys.

I also look for the flavors that come from the barrel with some scotches. Scotch is always aged in a barrel that was already used for something else, Bourbon, Wine, Sherry, etc.

Meh. Call me a total pu**y but I like mine with ice. I don't load it up but I do add 2-3 cubes. I can still personally taste the difference in flavor.

Right now I have the Glenlevit 15, Macallan 12, Glenfiddich 12 and Jameson 12 all open. Last two nights I've been switching it up from glass to glass. One thing I've noticed, when you do this, the second glass (doesn't matter what it is) doesn't taste as good as the first. I think I've learned whatever I start with I should finish with for the night.

Alright, thanks again to everyone in this thread. You've helped me out a lot. Drinking a little whiskey on the weekends is much more satifying than drinking beer or glasses of wine.

It all depends upon the who, what, when, where and how of learning to drink and appreciate Scotch, as is the case with all of the "finer" things... such as wine, cigars, chocolate, women... etc. It all comes down to who and what the outside influencers are when you first begin exploring something new.

But when it comes down to it...

The reason there is a variety, is because we all have our own taste, and are slave to our own perceptions.

I learned to like Scotch with ice. Over time, I learned to like it without. I also started with blends. Liking one vs. the other doesn't discredit my taste. I like what I like, as do you.

Most people with Scotch will try to roll out the "how to's" but they are merely hand-me-down instructions on how to create the perception that you are more distinguished than the guy next to you.

I have literally watched videos on the website of good Scotch brands, that talked about how to bring out different flavors using water, ice and nothing. There isn't a "wrong" way to drink it. It all comes down to what you like.

Listen, if you can't stand the way it tastes straight up... then don't drink it that way. Chances are 9 out of every 10 guys who boasts liking it that way is only saying so because they think its the man's way to drink it. The reality is, Scotch is designed to let you shape the flavor to your palette.

Ice will bring out different flavors than water, and so on. Just like when you wine taste, and they give you different food pairings because those pairings bring out different flavors in the same wine. I had a red once on a tasting at room temp and then chilled, tasted like 2 totally different wines. The lesson? Serve it chilled because it tasted better to me that way... and buy a second bottle.

If you want ice in your Scotch, then add ice. 5 years from now your palette may change, and you may like it a different way... whatever you do, follow your taste... not the instructions of others. And don't think that because you like Glenlivet with water, that you will like all Scotch that way. You may like Macallan with ice. You may like Glenmorangie straight.

To me. The best way to appreciate Scotch is to explore its diversity and serve it the way it tastes best... to you.

Archived