Upstate NY?

vanDoug

Got an extra day and night to spend somewhere in upstate NY this June while driving from the 1000 island bridge to Buffalo. Was thinking Ithaca, university town, looks like it has some charm. Then I thought about Syracuse, their minor league baseball team has a game that night, could be worth a look. What's Syracuse like? What about Rochester?

Don't want to go too far south but almost anywhere in the Finger Lakes area could be good. Criteria = good hotel, choices of restaurants, pubs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Side note. Genesee must be upstate NY speak for Main or something. A lot of places have a Genesee St. What's the deal?

Got an extra day and night to spend somewhere in upstate NY this June while driving from the 1000 island bridge to Buffalo. Was thinking Ithaca, university town, looks like it has some charm. Then I thought about Syracuse, their minor league baseball team has a game that night, could be worth a look. What's Syracuse like? What about Rochester?

Don't want to go too far south but almost anywhere in the Finger Lakes area could be good. Criteria = good hotel, choices of restaurants, pubs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Side note. Genesee must be upstate NY speak for Main or something. A lot of places have a Genesee St. What's the deal?

Utica has it's own brewery.

Syracuse is a good stop. As you noted, the AAA Chiefs play there. Their park is right next to the Carousel Mall, if you care to do any shopping. it's a typical mall, but a nice big one. The best BBQ in the Northeast, Dinosaur Barbecue is there, as is Coleman's, a famous Irish pub with outstanding food. There are some great brewpubs downtown. Depending when you're there, you might catch live music at Jazzfest or a weekly outdoor thing sponsored by the Up-Downtowners Club. There might be something going on at the state fairgrounds. They also have a decent zoo.

Crusher's right about the West End Brewery in Utica. A nice tour. Other than that, Utica doesn't have much, except mafia restaurants and some strip clubs.

The Genessee River runs through the Rochester area. I guess that's the source of all those street names.

Archived