darren-sharper.jpg?w=300&h=223

Saints' pick could signal Sharper exit

April, 22, 2010

APR 22

11:15

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Pat Yasinskas

Looks like there will be some ripples on Lake Pontchartrain tonight.

The New Orleans Saints used the final pick of the first round to draft cornerback Patrick Robinson and that

how is that? he's an ufa as far as i know. we just can't sign him yet due to the rules about final 8 teams signing ufa's. after a certain date those rules are going to be rescinded.
OK, I thought he was restricted.

has a tender offer been made to him yet? i don't think so, but i could be wrong. there's no guarantee they tender him......
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was tendered. I'll see if I could find it again.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was tendered. I'll see if I could find it again.

i actually don't knwo the specific rules for that june 1 tender but i don't think they can do it till june 1st....and then i'd think they only have the one day to do it.

ok i was looking into it real quick and it seems if he receives the tender we'd have until july 22nd to sign him. otherwise his rights would go back to the saints. idk what the date is that the final 8 rules will be rescinded but i think it's supposed to be july 22nd, no? if so we'd eithe rhave to have a contract worked out with him already or we'd have a very small window of opportunity to get him signed.

I don't think there's actually a window if he's tendered. I think the final eight rules lifting and the reversion of rights are simultaneous and the 22/23 thing is just imprecise writing.

that's pretty possible too......

well if it winds up we'd have to trade for him then you can forget about it.

Maybe he's not tedered, but the Saints will probably tender him by June first for like $1.87 million.

I think that would put an end to us getting him, unless they trade for him.

Too bad, because he said he wants to play here.

How can Sharper be tendered? He's a UFA.

2010 Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)

Unrestricted veteran free agents are players who have completed a designated amount accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They are free to sign with any club through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, their exclusive rights will revert to their original club if that club made a June 1 tender to these players. Teams will have until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season to sign their unrestricted veteran free agents to whom a tender was made on June 1. If the player does not sign by then, he must continue to sit out the remainder of the season. If a June 1 tender is not made to an unrestricted free agent, he continues to be free to sign with any club.

Archived