Jets News May 21

flgreen

Sanchez sure sounded like a retard when they asked him about the Arizona law.

I get the feeling he hates the whole 'Hey your a latin football star' thing they throw at him. He's a socal boy, he's probably 'Yeah dude, whatever'

I get the feeling he hates the whole 'Hey your a latin football star' thing they throw at him. He's a socal boy, he's probably 'Yeah dude, whatever'

Yeah dude, whatever would actually have been better.

Yeah dude, whatever would actually have been better.

In his defense...I remember the entire USC Football team was being interviewed by someone doing the Jay Leno type in the streets interviews back during the elections of 08. They went up to all the players asking if they new the candidates for each party, I'd say 90% of them had no clue, but I'm pretty sure Mark knew.

I'd have to look back to be 100%, but I remember he was one of the few that did know them all.

In his defense...I remember the entire USC Football team was being interviewed by someone doing the Jay Leno type in the streets interviews back during the elections of 08. They went up to all the players asking if they new the candidates for each party, I'd say 90% of them had no clue, but I'm pretty sure Mark knew.

I'd have to look back to be 100%, but I remember he was one of the few that did know them all.

That is impressive, considering that the candidates spent around half a billion dollars combined in national advertising.

I don't mean politically retarded. I mean retarded retarded. 1) Says he hasn't 'read the legislature,' 2) twice, 3) as though it'd actually make a difference if he had. Obviously doesn't mean anything but still made me cringe.

I don't mean politically retarded. I mean retarded retarded. 1) Says he hasn't 'read the legislature,' 2) twice, 3) as though it'd actually make a difference if he had. Obviously doesn't mean anything but still made me cringe.

Well it could be worse. At least the kid seems to be occupying most of his time with football and women.

That is impressive, considering that the candidates spent around half a billion dollars combined in national advertising.

LOL - are you kidding me? 90% of the people that voted for Obama cant tell you who's our current Vice President.

I'm not saying it makes him a genius but more than half of his team couldnt answer the questions...so...:face:

Just goes to show, you dont have to be smart to be rich.

Zach Thomas will miss hearing Jets fans insult his sister

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 21, 2010 2:39 PM ET

When Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were teammates on the Miami Dolphins, Taylor married Thomas's sister, Katina. When the Dolphins went on the road, fans of the opposing team would hurl insults at both players over their status as brothers-in-law and about Katina.

Now Thomas is retired and Taylor is with the New York Jets, and as he reminisces on his career, Thomas says he's actually going to miss those insults about his sister, insults that were often thrown around by the same Jets fans who will cheer Taylor this year.

"Now that you're talking about the Jets - you know what? I heard every little thing pre-game about my sister and Jason," Thomas said on 790 the Ticket in Miami, via Sports Radio Interviews. "Every year. I mean they got so nasty. It was kind of funny now that I look back at it. They went at me hard and they even went at Jason saying my sister looks like me with long hair, things like that. They went hard, but those are the things I really miss. The pre-game warmups on the road. They think they're helping the team out telling you these things, it only motivates you. It was awesome."

It was so awesome, in fact, that Thomas encourages Dolphins fans to act the same way.

"Even though I hate them, they're passionate fans, but I feel like our fans are even more passionate," Thomas said. "And hopefully they do the same thing to all these Jets players when they're warming up on the sideline."

Mailbag: Reflecting on draft-day decisions

May, 21, 2010 May 21

2:54

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Rich Cimini

As promised, here are some questions I didn't get a chance to answer during Wednesday's chat session:

Q: Do you feel that Kyle Wilson was more needed for this team than Jerry Hughes? Didn't the Jets overreact to the Colts loss and forget the reason they lost versus Miami, Jacksonville and Atlanta is that they failed to rush the passer on the final drives? (Eric G., Woodcliff Lake, N.J.)

A: You make an excellent point, Eric. I agree that the Jets have put too much emphasis on the Colts' game. In fact, Rex Ryan mentioned it again Thursday, noting how much better equipped they'll be to face them again, which would be in the playoffs. While there's no question the secondary is improved, I'm still a believer that pressuring the quarterback is key. Terrific pass coverage doesn't mean much without a pass rush, and there wasn't much rush on those fourth-quarter flops that you mentioned. Ryan believes he addressed that issue by signing Jason Taylor. We'll see. Hughes, a speed rusher, would've been nice. From what I hear, he was rated just below Wilson on their draft board.

Q: What do you think are the odds that Kris Jenkins makes it through the entire season? I don't think it's very likely given his age and weight. (TnJetsFan, Tennessee):

A: You forgot to mention his injury history. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on him staying healthy for 16 games, but I can tell you this: They're not going to over-work him. Big Jenk will be on a snap count.

Q: Can Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes work this all out and be good teammates even though they went to rival schools? (Devin, Whitmore Lake, Mich.)

A: Ah, yes, a Michigan man (Edwards) and an Ohio State man (Holmes) at the same position. I have no idea what's going to happen, but I bet the week of Nov. 27 will be interesting. That day, the two rivals will meet for the 107th time.

Q: I understand the Jets getting younger on the line, but we have one DE on the roster, and they chose not to draft a DE. What other options will we have? (Terrence, NYC)

A: Terrence, they have more than one end on the roster. Aside from Shaun Ellis, they Mike DeVito (an end/tackle hybrid), Vernon Gholston, Ropati Pitoitua and, from what I'm told, there's still a chance that Marques Douglas could re-sign. They also have Rodrique Wright, who has some NFL experience. Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace and Jason Taylor can line up in a three-point stance in four-man lines. Is it the ideal situation? Not exactly. In fact, it's probably the thinnest area on the team.

Q: How come the Jets have failed to address the punting situation? We were awful last year and, as a defensive team, field position is key. (Greg, Boston)

A: Hey, Greg, aren't you supposed to be a Patriots fans? Sorry, I digressed. You're right, Steve Weatherford wasn't so hot last year. As a team, the Jets' net average was 39.0, which ranked 19th in the league. They played musical punters last preseason, so maybe they're attempting to find some continuity. They did re-sign T.J. Conley, whom they had in camp last summer. The coaches were high on Conley, so I put him on my 53-man roster projection, an awful call on my part that ended up costing me the beat writers' roster pool. Basically, I drank the Kool Aid. Not this time.

Q: What is your feeling on the state of the running backs? I'm not 100% sold on this group, with LaDainian Tomlinson at the end of his career, Shonn Greene injury prone and the uncertainty with Joe McKnight? (Mike, Eastchester)

A: You forgot to mention that Greene has some weight issues. He battled his weight last season and, based on what I saw in the first OTA practice open to the media, I think he should eat a few more salads. I think Greene has a lot of talent, but your concerns are warranted. The backfield isn't as good as it was a year ago at this time. I have questions about McKnight and, no, not just because he struggled in rookie minicamp. It seemed like he was always nicked up at USC, and people tell me he was a diva.

Q: I believe Dustin Keller is really gonna have a break out year. Which Jet do you think will break out this year? (John, Clearwater, Fla.)

A: Keller definitely has the talent to have a breakout year, but, curiously, he and Mark Sanchez struggled most of last season with their chemistry. They hooked up big-time toward the end of the year, especially the wild-card game in Cincinnati, so maybe there will be a carryover. Other breakouts? I guess Sanchez should be on that list. I think DE/DT Mike DeVito will take a big step. I also think you're going to see more of backup S James Ihedigbo, especially in sub packages. I'd like to say WR David Clowney, but there's just too much competition ahead of him on the depth chart. The coaches love Pitoitua. I haven't seen enough of him to agree or disagree.

Q: Rich, do you think instead of drafting Vlad Ducasse and cutting Alan Faneca, the Jets would have been better served drafting a DL in the second round, like Everson Griffen from USC? The team seems to have taken a win-now philosophy with all their actions except cutting Faneca. (Peter, Long Island)

A: I couldn't have said it better myself, Peter. Cutting Faneca was a head-scratcher, especially since they're still paying him $5.25 million. I don't know about Griffen because he's a 'tweener with a questionable work ethic, but they definitely could've considered a DL in Round 2.

Q: Do you feel that Kyle Wilson was more needed for this team than Jerry Hughes? Didn't the Jets overreact to the Colts loss and forget the reason they lost versus Miami, Jacksonville and Atlanta is that they failed to rush the passer on the final drives? (Eric G., Woodcliff Lake, N.J.)

A: You make an excellent point, Eric. I agree that the Jets have put too much emphasis on the Colts' game. In fact, Rex Ryan mentioned it again Thursday, noting how much better equipped they'll be to face them again, which would be in the playoffs. While there's no question the secondary is improved, I'm still a believer that pressuring the quarterback is key. Terrific pass coverage doesn't mean much without a pass rush, and there wasn't much rush on those fourth-quarter flops that you mentioned. Ryan believes he addressed that issue by signing Jason Taylor. We'll see. Hughes, a speed rusher, would've been nice. From what I hear, he was rated just below Wilson on their draft board.

Disagree.

thank you FG for posting the day's articles-I know it can be a tedious task but TBH there is no better way to get all the stories than to read them all in one thread-Twitter is great and all but lacking in this department

Allow me to add my thanks as well FG. It is much easier to read them in a thread than bouncing around from paper to paper.

Well Done

Revis delivered his own blow, knocking the former Super Bowl MVP flat on his rear end. Welcome to the Jets.

these workouts are supposed to be non- contact

I wonder which player will rat out the jets, or if the media reports are enough to get a call from the players union

these workouts are supposed to be non- contact

I wonder which player will rat out the jets, or if the media reports are enough to get a call from the players union

These workouts are non contact, and Rex mentioned that in his Thursday presser. These are decisions made by individual players.

It is a team sprit kind of thing. If Rex was requiring them to hit, it would be a NFLPA issue. He

These workouts are non contact, and Rex mentioned that in his Thursday presser. These are decisions made by individual players.

It is a team sprit kind of thing. If Rex was requiring them to hit, it would be a NFLPA issue. He

that's some flimsy BS right there

that's like saying a mafia boss didn't require a hit, it was the capo's call

I bet the players union puts and end to the "player decisions"

besides, we don't need any knees getting blown up in May

I gotta throw the swaggerlicious flag on this one

C’mon Larz, Rex isn’t telling these guys to go out there and light one another up with no pads. That’s the worst thing that can happen to a team is to lose a prime player in no contract drills.

What Rex has done is instill a culture of violence. “You take a swipe at one of ours and we’ll take two swipes at one of yours” That is one of the fist things Rex said when he became head Coach. That’s the banner he marches under. That’s the way his Daddy was.

That is what he has instilled in this team. The NY Jets are a violent football team. When Rex says “Play like a Jet” That’s what he is talking about.

Revis giving Holmes a shot in a non contract drill is an introduction to what the team is all about. That’s veteran leadership.

The contact in a no contact drill isn’t instructed by the coaches. It’s demanded by the vets

I like it

Sanchez wants return to White House

By Dennis Waszak Jr. • The Associated Press • May 21, 2010

Mark Sanchez2_bing.gif expects a return visit to the White House.

And next time, he's bringing the rest of his Jets teammates.

The second-year quarterback was back at practice Thursday on a limited basis, a day after meeting President Barack Obama at the White House. He attended the state dinner in Washington on Wednesday night with teammate D'Brickashaw Ferguson2_bing.gif.

"I knew we were scoping out this territory and we're coming back in February," Sanchez said. "That's in the back of your head. Now, Brick and I will know where to go, so we'll just lead guys around and throw in2_bing.gif a tour."

Back on the field after arriving home around 3 a.m., Sanchez looked comfortable throwing in 7-on-7 drills. It's the third straight practice he has participated in since Monday.

Revis talks: All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said that the team sent his agents a contract proposal last week that is being evaluated. Revis is scheduled to make $1 million in the fourth season of his six-year rookie deal. "If everything's right, the numbers are right, and everything's good, then I'll sign on the dotted line," he said. "If it's not and we have to negotiate more, then that's what we have to do." Revis wants to be the highest-paid at his position. Oakland cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha2_bing.gif

Reading stuff like this makes me love Rex that much more.

Archived