Brown, Welker optimistic about injuries

rick34125

Don't look now, but two of the biggest daggers the Jets faced last year were arguably RB Ronnie Brown of the Miami Dolphins and WR Wes Welker of the NE Patriots. Both Brown and Welker are recovering from serious injuries last season and are hopeful to rejoin their teams when the season begins.

"Definitely not,'' he said. "I've been getting better on a weekly and daily basis. I've come a long way. In the offseason program, I started running. And how long has it been, eight, nine weeks into the offseason, and now we've started the OTAs, and I'm out here. There are positives. And I look forward to making progress every time we have something as a team, I'm trying to do something. I'm optimistic.''

Welker is also optimistic with his progress although unsure of when he will return.

"It's going good so far. It's a long process but I feel like I'm making a lot of strides," Welker said Saturday at the Old Spice Wes Welker Football Camp. "It's gone as good as expected so far. Hopefully we stay on that track and keep on progressing every day."

Asked if it's too early to set a timetable for his return, Welker responded that it's "way early."

"We'll see what happens," he said. "My plan is to keep working hard and keep doing the things I've been doing to get to where I am now."

If both players do make it back for the start of the season it could be a long September for the Jets who play their divisional rivals in 3 of the first 4 games.

Last season back in week 5, Ronnie Brown put up over a hundred all purpose yards catching, throwing and running the ball, while scoring 2 touchdowns, the second TD being scored on the Phins final possession with 6 seconds left on the clock.

In week 11 Wes Welker caught the ball 15 times for 192 yards, a performance that confounded the Jets defense repeatedly in coverage and for which they never found an answer.

We all know that the Jets have had a busy offseason and looked to have addressed the problems that these teams caused them last season. Still there's no telling the impact a healthy Ronnie Brown and Wes Welker could have on the Jets AFCE Divisional dreams.

Archived