Folk Impressive in OTA

flgreen

PK Folk stages 'an impressive show' in OTA

June, 10, 2010 Jun 10

3:12

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Maligned PK Nick Folk, inconsistent throughout the Jets' OTA practices, finished Thursday's session by going 7-for-7 in field goals. That included 52- and 53-yarders.

That sound you just heard was a collective exhale from the Jets' organization, which is counting on Folk to replace the departed Jay Feely.

"Yeah, that made me feel better," Rex Ryan said. "I'm sure it made the entire New York Jets fan base feel better."

Other observations and sound bites from Thursday, the final OTA:

Sanchez passes test. QB Mark Sanchez, practicing for the second day in 11-on-11 drills, completed seven of 14 passes in team drills. He got off to a slow start, missing on a couple of passes into tight coverage, but he closed with a strong series. The highlight was a deep sideline pass to WR Jerricho Cotchery, who beat CB Darrelle Revis.

Sanchez moved well in the pocket, even made a couple of throws on the run. He spoke confidently about being able to particpate in next week's minicamp.

"We don't even worry about him," Ryan said. "That's how confident we are where he is."

Said Sanchez: "The knee feels as good as it's ever felt."

Getting stronger. When the season ended after the loss to the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game, Ryan challenged the players to find ways to improve themselves in the off-season program. Well, Ryan came armed with some tangible results.

According to the coach, 29 players set personal strength records. For the record, Bart Scott's "team" captured the off-season conditioning award, defeating three other squads. There was a banner near the practice field, trumpeting "Team Scott" as the champions.

The battle for No. 2 ... and No. 3. Curiously, No. 2 QB Kellen Clemens didn't receive as many second-team reps as usual, as he was replaced by Kevin O'Connell in certain drills. Hmmm. Ostensibly, O'Connell is battling Erik Ainge for the No. 3 job. Ryan is calling it an open competition, although it appears that O'Connell is leading.

As for Clemens, his days are numbered. The Jets are expected to sign free agent Mark Brunell in late July, and he would take over as Sanchez's backup. Basically, now that Sanchez is healthy, the Jets will look to move on from Clemens.

This and that: WR Santonio Holmes is practicing with two tight hamstrings, curtailing his ability to run deep routes. He still managed to get past the defense on a couple of deep balls ... Rookie LG Vlad Ducasse continues to work with the starters. According to teammates, he has made significant strides the last week or two and the feeling around the team is that he will be the opening-day starter, ahead of Matt Slauson ... Ryan opened his news conference with a split-screen video analysis of his ceremonial first pitch from the other night at Citi Field. It was Ryan on one side of the screen, with Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg on the other. Ryan pointed out the similarities in their throwing motions. Funny stuff. Ryan's "catcher" was GM Mike Tannenbaum, who failed to handle a two-seam fastball (Ryan's description) that broke down and in.

The battle for No. 2 ... and No. 3. Curiously, No. 2 QB Kellen Clemens didn't receive as many second-team reps as usual, as he was replaced by Kevin O'Connell in certain drills. Hmmm. Ostensibly, O'Connell is battling Erik Ainge for the No. 3 job. Ryan is calling it an open competition, although it appears that O'Connell is leading.

As for Clemens, his days are numbered. The Jets are expected to sign free agent Mark Brunell in late July, and he would take over as Sanchez's backup. Basically, now that Sanchez is healthy, the Jets will look to move on from Clemens.

I have been saying this since I went to the first OTA... O'Connell is better than Clemens by a lot...

I would not be shocked to see Sanchez/O'Connell/Ainge and let Brunell sit at home.

iIreally can't understand why the Jets would want to bring in a way over the hill QB like Brunell.

Sanchez

O'Connell

Ainge

And i will be sick to my stomach if the Jets carry 4Qb's again.

I see your point. To hold 4 QB's yet say you have a "franchise" quarterback is kinda funny. 3 is enough. I like Ainge alot, O'Connell can go somewhere. I still think that Sanchez needs a Vet in a uniform to physically show him certain things, not just a coach talking.

Sanchez

Ainge

Brunell.

Archived