Omar and Jerry both likely gone after this season

Greenranger

Minaya is paying the price for the Castillo and Perez contracts. He's still a good scout, but he has no business making those kinds of decisions.

But in fairness Jeff Wilpon should fire himself. Minaya has answered to Jeff Wilpon every step of the way, and WIlpon signed off on each and every move. And that again brings up the problem with hiring a competent GM; no reputable baseball guy is going to have Jeff and Fred have final say and then make the new GM the scapegoat if it goes bad. Jeff has it great; he owns the team, he can claim credit if they win and fire the GM when they lose. Either he should declare himself GM for life, or hire someone competent, step back and collect the checks. Suspect instead he will again hire a Duquette/Minaya, 2nd tier guy who lets him feel like a bigshot in the corner office. And what GM is going to jump at the chance to take over a Mets team that won't have Santana until the All Star break and will be told by the Wilpons not to add any payroll.

The Wilpons and the Dolans should both get lost yesterday.

Minaya is paying the price for the Castillo and Perez contracts. He's still a good scout, but he has no business making those kinds of decisions.

But in fairness Jeff Wilpon should fire himself. Minaya has answered to Jeff Wilpon every step of the way, and WIlpon signed off on each and every move. And that again brings up the problem with hiring a competent GM; no reputable baseball guy is going to have Jeff and Fred have final say and then make the new GM the scapegoat if it goes bad. Jeff has it great; he owns the team, he can claim credit if they win and fire the GM when they lose. Either he should declare himself GM for life, or hire someone competent, step back and collect the checks. Suspect instead he will again hire a Duquette/Minaya, 2nd tier guy who lets him feel like a bigshot in the corner office. And what GM is going to jump at the chance to take over a Mets team that won't have Santana until the All Star break and will be told by the Wilpons not to add any payroll.

The Wilpons and the Dolans should both get lost yesterday.

I doubt they even go outside the organization to find replacements for either one.

With Towers taking the GM job in Arizona I'm not sure who they should get...but I haven't really kept up with that kind of stuff either. Organizations are keeping their young minds though...Shapiro is getting promoted in Cleveland to make way for Antonetti at GM for example...maybe the Mets really like that Rico guy and possibly he has a brain.

I say the Mets go balls out and hire Paul DePodesta. If anything you know you're getting a guy who has modern opinions and ideas.

Also, I hope they keep Manuel around in some kind of role. Despite the losing, he impressed me with his honesty and understanding of the inner workings of the game....He'd make a great minor league manager because he really tries to understand and work with young players.

Archived