Belichick on the upcoming game.

visajets

New England coach Bill Belichick weighs in on Jets-Patriots, part three

Published: Sunday, January 09, 2011, 4:05 PM Updated: Sunday, January 09, 2011, 4:16 PM

userpic-3492-200x200.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share0 0 roundbox_arrow_up.gif Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Share Email Print 9181724-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerBill Belichick, left, and Rex Ryan, right, will meet for the third time this season next Sunday. Bill Belichick said today the Patriots are "full speed ahead now" in their preparations for the Jets.

The New England coach said on a conference call with local reporters that he watched the Jets' 17-16 win over the Colts last night until the end, calling it a "terrific game." Now, it's on to the third match-up of the season between the two AFC East rivals, next Sunday at 4:30 p.m. in Foxborough, Mass.

"We split with them this year," Belichick said. "So, now it will be best two out of three. It’s probably the way it should be."

Belichick said the Jets are the same team they were on Dec. 6, when the Patriots beat them 45-3 at Gillette Stadium -- they just "didn't have a good night that night." The Jets beat the Patriots at home in Week 2, 28-14.

Preparing to play a team for the third time in one season is a bit of a different dynamic, Belichick said, pointing out that it might be easier for each team to anticipate the other's approach based on what worked or didn't work the first two times -- or what changed between the first and second meetings

"In the end, you still have to put your chips on something," he said. "You have to anticipate what you think is most likely to occur. You have to allocate some practice time and game planning to whatever you happen to think that is. You have one more game to go on than you would normally have in a normal division situation, division game."

Last week, coach Rex Ryan seemed to take a dig at Patriots quarterback Tom Brady while praising Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. He said nobody studies like Manning, but "I know Brady thinks he does." He added that Brady gets "a little more help" from Belichick than Manning gets from his coaches.

"I really don’t think a whole lot about stuff like that," Belichick said. "I just try to coach our team. I think you have to ask Rex or somebody else about that, whoever said it, whatever the context was, I don’t know. I’m worried about getting our team ready."

Archived