Cimini: Breaking Down Jets New-Look DL

flgreen

Breaking down the Jets' new-look DL

May, 16, 2011

May 16

11:28

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

With two draft picks, the Jets may have transformed the look of their once-aging defensive line. A year ago, this was a long-in-the-tooth unit that relied on three players over 30 -- NT Sione Pouha, DE Shaun Ellis and DT/DE Trevor Pryce.

The drafting of DE Muhammad Wilkerson (first round) and NT Kenrick Ellis (third) changes the dynamic. Here's what the Jets' depth chart looks like right now (unsigned players in italics):

DE Shaun Ellis, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ropati Pitoitua

NT Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Martin Tevaseu

DT Mike DeVito, Marcus Dixon, Trevor Pryce

Analysis: It's still early, but it looks like the Jets should be able to employ a six-man rotation. The key question is Shaun Ellis. Will the team's longest-tenured player return? In a normal offseason, the Jets might have been willing to move on without him and hand the job to Wilkerson. But the lockout is preventing rookies from working with their teams and learning their respective systems. That could be huge for players like Wilkerson and Ellis, both of whom played at a lower level of competition in college. The longer the lockout drags on, the more it increases Shaun Ellis' value to the team.

When things get settled, Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis will provide added flexibility. Wilkerson can play 3-4 DE and slide inside on passing downs. Ellis has the ability to play over the center and guard, and maybe over the tackle in certain looks. Nowadays, an inside pass rush is critical because offenses are employing quick-throw passing attacks -- and the quickest route to the QB is up the middle. The Jets also can use Ellis and Pouha at tackle, nearly 700 pounds of wall. They always wanted to use that look with Pouha and Kris Jenkins, but didn't get much of a chance because of Jenkins' injuries the last two seasons.

The Jets are high on Dixon and Pitoitua, who, according to Rex Ryan, is doing well in his rehab from Achilles-tendon surgery. On paper, the line looks a lot younger and deeper than a year ago.

I too was dying to see Pouha at DE, playing next to a legit NT like Jenkins. If Ellis can progress to starting caliber where we can have lines of having him Pouha and Devito, I would be absolutely shocked if we weren't top 3 in rush defense. From the interviews last summer, it seemed that Rex was getting a half-chubby with how Pouha was playing at DE, so it'll be very interesting to see what happens this year.

It'll be good to see Pito get some play if he can come back healthy and also Jarron Gilbert. They moved gilbert down to the practice squad when they needed to activate 11 or so dbacks those few times, but snatched him back up once they heard teams were interested. Rex and the guys must feel he can contribute in some way, with they way they've treated him.

excited to see that pituatoa guy too. On hard knocks, they seemed to be looking forward to his year more than they were looking forward to pouha's. Either way, our D-line and its depth is going to be much better meow..

excited to see that pituatoa guy too. On hard knocks, they seemed to be looking forward to his year more than they were looking forward to pouha's. Either way, our D-line and its depth is going to be much better meow..

LOL Meow?

I'm sorry. Me of all people shouldn't be making fun of typos. That just cracked me up for some reason

Archived