Tannenbaum: Jets participated in Hard Knocks to get Better

flgreen

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says team participated in 'Hard Knocks' series to get better

Published: Friday, May 27, 2011, 1:53 PM Updated: Friday, May 27, 2011, 1:53 PM

Star-Ledger Staff By Star-Ledger Staff

General manager Mike Tannenbaum felt the Jets would become better by participating in HBO's "Hard Knocks" series.

In a radio interview with an ESPN affiliate in St. Louis, Jets general manager MIke Tannenbaum said he ultimately decided his team should participate in HBO's "Hard Knocks" television series because he was advised it would make his team better.

"I was probably the last person on board to do it and I called Ozzie Newsome, the general manager of the Baltimore Ravens, who I respect immensely, and he said just from a football standpoint he felt like they [baltimore Ravens] got better practices because the cameras were around," Tannenbaum said on ESPN 101's "Zach and the Coach" show. "Everybody was giving their ‘A Game,’ everyday and our decision was we thought we had a great story to tell."

The Jets, of course, ended up losing in the AFC Championship Game last season, the same plateau they reached during the 2009 season. So any improvement should be considered negligible.

As far as the end of the NFL lockout and subsequent free agency, which will have a significant effect on the Jets' roster, Tannenbaum said the team has prepared as best it can having to speculate circumstances.

"We always talk about our plans in pencil and it’s subject to change, so we’ve kind of mapped out a few different scenarios and hypotheticals, but truly no one knows so we’re kind of in a holding pattern and when they say to go we’ll be ready."

Ya think?

Sanchez might put up a goose egg with 4 ints against 09 D.

Nah... Shotty would have only clustered all the receivers together on half the plays ... only 2 picks.

I don't know, 09 might give 10 a run for it's money. Damn good question. The defense was definitely a tad better in 09, offense was worse.

Running sim matchups on whatifsports.com,

Best of 10 with 70 degree weather and 2009 "at home": 2010 wins: 2010 took 6 games, 2009 took 4.

Best of 10 with 30 degree weather and 2010 "at home": split: 2010 took 5, 2009 took 5.

Best of 10 with 10 degree weather and 2010 "at home": split: 2010 took 5, 2009 took 5.

Best of 10 with 10 degree weather plus heavy precipitation and 2009 "at home": 2009 wins: 2009 took 8, 2010 took 2.

Interesting.

Archived