Terrell Pryor Linked to Jets in SUpplemental Draft

Vudu

Mayock put a 4th round value on him. if he is still there at the end of the 4th it will be very tempting for the Jets. I'm inclined to agree with the Bassett article below and pass on him

Mayock Thinks Pryor’s a Fit for the Jets

By Bassett on Jun 16, 2011, 5:12 pm

Former Ohio State Buckeye QB Terrelle Pryor has made it clear that in the wake of the scandal that felled the program that he’s taking his talents to the NFL via the Supplemental NFL Draft. That of course begs the question, who’s going to take him in the supplemental draft?

According to NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who appeared on NFL Total Access, that after analyzing Pryor’s game, he thinks the QB is worth a fourth-round pick. Mayock went on to note that Pryor could make sense to a team that utilizes the Wildcat, using him in the run-option role, with of course the thought that he could throw the ball when required.

“The value for him as a rookie is in packages. I think the New York Jets are the best wildcat team in the NFL offensively. Why? Because Brad Smith can throw the football just well enough to keep you honest. I think that’s what this kid can do. He can be a package quarterback in Year One while you develop his skill set.”

I see Mayock’s point and understand why the Jets might be a team that would take such a gamble. There’s a few reasons why the Jets are such a good Wildcat team. The Jets have a solid offense with one of the best zone-blocking coaches in the game helping to make the set work. And while Smith threw the ball just three times in the 2010 season (seven total attempts in his career) more than any other year of his career, but I would contend that for years Brad Smith’s efficacy as an option QB is not based on his ability to throw, but his ability to elude tacklers in the open field, it’s also what makes him such a devastating kick returner.

Smith is likely out the door, making more of an opportunity for a player like Pryor, but the Jets have a litany of reasons on why Pryor isn’t a fit, regardless of the off-the-field stuff.

First, the Jets might have just drafted Smith’s replacement to that role in Jeremy Kerley.

Second, the Jets aren’t trying to move backwards and have four QBs on the 53-man roster again, and the only way that can work is if the Jets cut ties with Brunell, or already give up on Greg McElroy, who the team just drafted in April.

Third, From a larger perspective, assuming at least one of Edwards or Holmes return, the Jets have a real logjam at the skill position spot when you take a look at what their draft class just did to their total QB, RB and WR numbers. Drafting and carrying a guy like Pryor means that there’s no room for a reserve lineman or linebacker or safety somewhere else.

Lastly, the Jets have just spent a few years horse-trading their draft picks, and they’re at a point right now where they have their 2012 NFL Draft picks completely intact. The Jets might not be willing to give up a third rounder to get a guy like Pryor, who outside the off the field issues, would cause a host of other personnel issues as explained above.

I don't think the roster spot will have the least bit of impact on the Jets decision either way. They carried 4 QBs PLUS Smith in a number of seasons in the past and have made it clear that they're not overly worried about having a set number of players at each position. That said, I doubt the Jets make the play for him. While I agree the Jets won't be retaining Smith, I think they already have their plans in place for guys like Joe McKnight and Kerley to take over Smith's various roles on the team.

Archived