Chat With Rich Cimini

flgreen

Chat with Rich Cimini

SportsNation

Welcome to SportsNation! On Friday, ESPNNewYork.com writer Rich Cimini stops by to chat about the Jets.

Cimini, longtime Jets beat writer for the New York Daily News and a Syracuse University graduate, covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Send your questions now and join Cimini Friday at 1 p.m. ET!

More Rich Cimini: Search | ESPNNewYork.com | Chats | Blog

Rich Cimini

(1:01 PM)

Hey, everybody, thanks for stopping by. I'm on time for a change. Let's get to it.

Robby mcoy nyack ny [via mobile]

Do u think the jets will re sign holmes and get plaxico burres

Rich Cimini

(1:02 PM)

Yes, Robby, I think the Jets will re-sign Holmes if he becomes a UFA, which is likely to be the case. As for Plax, yeah, I think the Jets have some interest, but everything I'm hearing has him going to Philly. I suspect he wants to start fresh and get out of NY.

LeAnne (Washington)

Rich, simple question. Will we have a full NFL season this year?

Rich Cimini

(1:04 PM)

Yes. This deal is going to get done. My guess is mid-July, maybe around the 10th. If it goes later, it could lead to a shortened training camp, but the owners don't want to lose pre-season games because that's big money. But, yes, I see a full reg season.

Rich Cimini

(1:04 PM)

Yes. This deal is going to get done. My guess is mid-July, maybe around the 10th. If it goes later, it could lead to a shortened training camp, but the owners don't want to lose pre-season games because that's big money. But, yes, I see a full reg season.

Chris Fiegler (Latham,NY)

Who is the Worst Head Coach that the New York Jets ever had?

Rich Cimini

(1:07 PM)

This is a hanging curve right in my wheelhouse, Chris. Contrary to popular belief, I haven't covered every HC in Jets history, so I can only speak about those that I've covered ... and it's a no brainer -- Rich Kotite. I could tell you some crazy Kotite stories, but I don't have room in this forum. He went 4-28 in 2 seasons. What more can you say? He hurt himself by making lousy personnel decisions. For some insane reason, Hess gave him complete control and he made some bad decisions.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich, This Holmes and other NFL players story about investments in a gaming business. There is no way these players can be suspended since they let the Rooney's slide too. Fines yes suspensions no.Your thoughts?

Rich Cimini

(1:08 PM)

I agree, Ira. I'd be shocked if any of these players got suspended, in part, because of the Rooney situation. Fines, yes, I could see that. They also could lose millions if forced to divest. You have to wonder what these players are thinking about sometimes.

Greg (Boston)

Is there any truth to Moore coming in as an offensive consultant? If so, how would schotty feel about that? Sounds like a GREAT thing to me.

Rich Cimini

(1:12 PM)

You're referring, of course, to a report by ESPN.com. If they hire him as a consultant, I doubt very much that he'd be working in the building. If he does, that wouldn't be a good thing for Schotty. Chances are, he will be a stay-at-home consultant. For instance: Last yr, the Jets employed the former longtime OL coach Jim McNally as a consultant. He worked from Buffalo, analyzed tape and shared his thoughts with OL coach Bill Callahan. I see Moore in a similar role if they hire him.

Ben (Fairfield, CT)

As much as people may want to bring in Plaxico and say that he will be in shape, people are forgetting about Mike Vick's first season after prison with the eagles where he wasn't in game shape and did not do much. Rich, Do you see the samething happening to Plax, wherever he goes?

Rich Cimini

(1:15 PM)

Excellent point, Ben. People tend to forget that Vick was a step slow in his first season back. Of course, he plays a more demanding position than WR. It's not realistic to expect the Plax of old, but I think he can contribute as a No. 2 or No. 3 WR, playing 50 to 75 pct of the snaps.

Chris (LA via Morristown NJ)

Rich, if Mark Sanchez or Darrelle Revis restructure their contracts how much more cap room could the Jets potentially gain, who do you see them using the added cap space on and what's the likelyhood this will happen??

Rich Cimini

(1:19 PM)

I could definitely see Sanchez restructuring his deal, which calls for him to make about $15 mil. A simple restructuring could save at least $4 or $5 mil in cap space. That would be huge. Revis' deal also screams to be re-worked because of his huge payout this year. Who knows, maybe Asomugma? But don't forget, they'll have to write big checks for a WR, a CB and David Harris.

Sal (San Diego)

Hey Rich...great job with your candidness on how the Jets handled the recent player practice...I was reading that a lot of teams have decided to stay status quo or even scale back offenses with regard to little time given for implementing new plays (i.e. the strike)...Are the Jets on of these teams? If yes, do you think this works in the Jets favor given how much better Sanchez seems to play with a simple and straightforward play call approach?

Rich Cimini

(1:21 PM)

Thanks, Sal. The teams with established starting QBs and offensive systems have a big advantage over the teams (like the Panthers) starting from scratch. Even the Dolphins are at a disadvantage because they have a new OC, Brian Daboll. That said, I think the Jets will have to take it slow with the offense, but a lot depends on player turnover. If the key guys are back, it'll give them a running start.

Rich Cimini

(1:21 PM)

Thanks, Sal. The teams with established starting QBs and offensive systems have a big advantage over the teams (like the Panthers) starting from scratch. Even the Dolphins are at a disadvantage because they have a new OC, Brian Daboll. That said, I think the Jets will have to take it slow with the offense, but a lot depends on player turnover. If the key guys are back, it'll give them a running start.

shawn (massapequa park)

what kind of immediate impact do you think mo wilkerson will have right away?Do you think it would be wise to bring in another running back and make this a legit 3 headed monster with mcknight being an insurance policy?

Rich Cimini

(1:23 PM)

How many RBs do you want? They have plenty, with Greene, LT, McKnight and Powell. As for Mo Wilk, he'd definitely going to see significant time. I think he'll make his mark as a run defender before he does as a pass rusher.

Tom Tuttle (Tacoma)

"the owners don't want to lose pre-season games because that's big money"Have sadder words ever been written?

Rich Cimini

(1:24 PM)

You're right, Tom. It's sad that these teams charge full price for meaningless games, but that's serious coin for them because the players aren't drawing game checks. Sad, but true.

sglaser (great neck)

Putting aside all the stuff that comes out of Rex's mouth (though hard to do) about the Pats, it seemed to me that Belichick showed respect for Rex at the end of the Divisional game in January when he put his arm around him. Sure didn't do it with Mangini. Is it possible that other coached respect Rex?

Rich Cimini

(1:27 PM)

They absolutely respect him. Can you think of a coach who has ripped him? My mind is in summer-vacation mode, so I might be missing someone. Only one that comes to mind, ironically, is Dungy, who got after Rex last yr because of the cursing on Hard Knocks. Football coaches see Rex and a football lifer, someone who has great passion for the game. I'm sure some of his comments make them roll their eyes, but they appreciate his respect for the game and players.

Steve (Branchburg, NJ)

Rich, As a diehard Jet fan I didn't enjoy the almost 4 hour drive to Cortland to see training camp, what are the chances now if there is a training camp that it will be at the facilities in Florham Park and not at SUNY Cortland?

Rich Cimini

(1:28 PM)

Now you know what my drive is like to Florham Park ... only kidding (a little). July 1 is the working date for a decision, but there's some wiggle room, maybe a week to 10 days. I know the team already is making contingency plans in the event they have to hold camp in Flo Pk.

@DLEE10 (NATE) (NYC)

lets see if i can break news to you scotty mcknight dating hayden panettiere http://goo.gl/nUZAA

Rich Cimini

(1:30 PM)

what I'd like to know is, will she show up for training camp? It's all kind of funny, if you ask me -- a 7th round WR dating a Hollywood celeb. Classic.

Daniel Granada (Miami)

What are the chances we resign braylon santonio and smith, and if we can't resign all of them, who might we sign to fill those voids

Rich Cimini

(1:32 PM)

I think there's about a 25% chance, maybe less, that the Jets re-sign all 3. I'd be surprised if that happens. Like I've said many times, I think Braylon walks. Some team is going to overpay for him and the Jets won't match the offer...unless they lose Holmes first. Then things could get sticky for the Jets. If they lose Edwards, they'll look at Randy Moss, Plax, maybe Steve Smith.

Chris (Bronx,NY)

Any chance we bring back Damien Woody? Duchase couldn't handle guard, what makes the Jets think hes ready to play right tackle?

Rich Cimini

(1:34 PM)

Ding, ding, ding -- you're right on the money. That's why I think Woody will be back. I think -- no, I know -- some players on the team feel that way, too.

Charles D (Bethpage, NY)

Hi Rich, I think you are the best Jets Beat writer. Q: Do you think Shotty will be introuble this year if the Offense doesn't perform to expectations? Thanks

Rich Cimini

(1:36 PM)

Yes, Charles, he'll be in trouble, especially with Callahan waiting in the wings and getting nibbles from other teams (i.e. the Titans). I think Schotty has done a better job than most fans do, mostly because of his work with Sanchez, but you're right, the offense has underachieved. btw, give your address so I can send your check out. Thanks.

Chris (PA)

Is Revis' desire to play with Nnamdi enough to get him to restructure his deal to make that happen?

Rich Cimini

(1:38 PM)

There's a difference between restructuring and taking a pay cut. Would Revis restructure? Sure, why not? You don't lose $$ when you restructure; you just get it at a different time in a different form of payment. Would he take an actual pay cut? No, I can't see that happening. He held out all summer to get that deal, and I can't see him giving back some of it. That would be a supreme sacrifice.

Rich Cimini

(1:38 PM)

There's a difference between restructuring and taking a pay cut. Would Revis restructure? Sure, why not? You don't lose $$ when you restructure; you just get it at a different time in a different form of payment. Would he take an actual pay cut? No, I can't see that happening. He held out all summer to get that deal, and I can't see him giving back some of it. That would be a supreme sacrifice.

Anthony (NYC)

Rich would the Jets be looking at Kiawanuka as an option at DE-OLB if & when FA becomes available? With the loses of Taylor

Rich Cimini

(1:41 PM)

He's an interesting guy, Anthony, because he is that hybrid guy that can stand up and rush from a 3 pt stance. Problem is, is he healthy? Remember, he had a serious neck issue. There was even talk of retirement. If the Jets bring him in for a visit -- and they might -- they'd have to take a close look at his neck. But, yes, he's what they're looking for ... on paper.

Rich Cimini

(1:41 PM)

He's an interesting guy, Anthony, because he is that hybrid guy that can stand up and rush from a 3 pt stance. Problem is, is he healthy? Remember, he had a serious neck issue. There was even talk of retirement. If the Jets bring him in for a visit -- and they might -- they'd have to take a close look at his neck. But, yes, he's what they're looking for ... on paper.

Gene (Sacramento CA)

with osi wanting to be released will the JETS show any interest? If not what kind of pass-rusher do you think they will go after?

Rich Cimini

(1:43 PM)

Osi was productive last year, but he's not a great fit for the Jets' scheme. He's too small to be an every-down, two-gapping lineman. Yeah, they could sign him to be a nickel rusher, but not at the money he's due to make.

Chris (Bronx, NY)

Do the Jets really plan on going with Duchase at RT? I

Rich Cimini

(1:44 PM)

They're planning to go with him ... until they realize he's not ready.

Jonny (L.A.)

This latest incident with Holmes and his longer-term issues really concern me about the Jets keeping this guy on a long-term deal...do you think the team has ANY reservations about his character that might lead them to look more at Brayon as the guy to keep long term?

Rich Cimini

(1:45 PM)

Braylon isn't exactly a Boy Scout, either. Here's what I think with Holmes: During negotiations, the Jets will insist on language and clauses that protect them in the event he gets suspended again for any reason.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich, Can't see them not re-signing Hartstock. He was huge in their running game and while i like Cumberlands potential i don't think he is ready to become a blocking TE. And how about Turner too?

Rich Cimini

(1:47 PM)

I agree, Ira. Hartsock was a good role player, and he managed to reduce his dumb penalties last year. His release was all about money. I think he was due to make $1.5 mil, way too much for a blocking TE. I could see them re-signing him for about a mil.

Jeff (NY, NY)

Would it make people feel better if the owners gave season ticket holders the preseason games for free and charged 25% more for regular season tickets?

Rich Cimini

(1:47 PM)

I don't think so.

jeff (east brunswick)

rich, what do you think the chances are of there being no unrestricted free agency this season? i'd love another year of holmes and edwards.

Rich Cimini

(1:50 PM)

I'm sure you would, Jeff. Edwards will be a UFA, no matter what rules are in place. Holmes would be a RFA if the '10 rules are used, but that ship has sailed, I believe. The NFL would've gone that way if they were forced by the courts to lift the lockout and have an immediate start to the league year, but the two sides are trying to hammer out a new CBA.

Antonio Cromartie (via mobile)

Rich, I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend so no requests for interviews please.

Rich Cimini

(1:51 PM)

Oh, I get it. Funny.

Jeff (NY, NY)

The one thing that confuses me about holmes is why a team would offer a long term deal at top 5 wr money but not give up a 5th round pick for 12 games at very little money.

Rich Cimini

(1:53 PM)

That was then, this is now. Holmes rebounded from his off-the-field issue and proved he can be a very good receiver again. I don't think he deserves top 5 WR money, but he's gonna get paid nicely. My hunch is about $8 mil per yr.

sglaser (great neck)

so if the worst coach = kotitebest coach = ? (other than Weeb)

Rich Cimini

(1:55 PM)

I didn't cover Weeb, but he brought home a championship, so that counts for a lot. Until this year, I would've said Parcells, but I think Ryan is right there.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich, I have a suggestion. How about a welcome back and lockout over party at Doug's the night before camp opens?

Rich Cimini

(1:55 PM)

Sounds like a plan, Ira. Order me a bucket of steamers, fried scallops and a Saranac.

Bob (Stamford CT)

What are your thoughts on Brad Smith returning

Rich Cimini

(1:57 PM)

I think the Jets really want him back, but they have a specific price in mind. Smith is wonderful, but he's a specialty player and the Jets aren't going to break the bank to keep him. If Smith is reasonable with his demands, I can see him returning.

Chris (Bronx,NY)

Do you really believe the Jets intend on giving Shonn Greene 300 carries? They say they want him to be a workhorse, but we now have four backs and only so many carries to go around.

Rich Cimini

(1:58 PM)

I'd be stunned if he gets 300, but I can something around 250.

Charles S (Caldwell, NJ)

Rich, who will be the best fit for the Jets: Plax, Moss, or Smith? Thanks

Rich Cimini

(1:58 PM)

Smith has the most to offer out of that group.

Anthony (NYC)

Rich with all the talk about Nnamdi & what if the price for Cromartie proves to be steep, how is it that none has made mention of Jonathan Joseph ?

Rich Cimini

(2:01 PM)

Joseph probably hasn't been mentioned because he's a 5-yr player, meaning he could be an RFA under the '10 rules. But now that it looks like there will be new rules, meaning he should be a UFA, yeah, I'd put him on the radar screen.

Gene (Sacramento CA)

whatz your thoughts on ochocinco?

Rich Cimini

(2:02 PM)

Funny guy. Done as a WR.

Rich Cimini

(2:02 PM)

Well, that's it for me. Make sure you check out my Jets blog because I'm going to pick the best 5 questions from this session and post them on the blog. Thanks for chatting. Have a great weekend! Rich

For instance: Last yr, the Jets employed the former longtime OL coach Jim McNally as a consultant. He worked from Buffalo, analyzed tape and shared his thoughts with OL coach Bill Callahan. I see Moore in a similar role if they hire him.

Yet somehow Bill Callahan is still God's gift to offenses.

Braylon is better than Santonio now. As a player, a competitor and as a leader. FACT. Time ESPN learned this, but they are too slow in the head.

Does Ira from Staten Island do ANYTHING ELSE with his life?

Why can't anyone spell Ducasse's name correctly?

Why do Jets fans keep acting like we're going to go wild in free agency? Are they that woefully uninformed about the cap? (Which RB will we get? Which OLB? Which this, which that. Tannenbaum has spoiled us.)

Archived