Ducasse ready to fight during his second season

F.Chowds

From the moment Vladimir Ducasse stepped onto the New York Jets training facility last summer, big things were expected out of the 6-foot-5, 332 pounder.

Playing on a veteran line, with multiple Pro Bowl honors on their collective resumes, it was a tough offensive line to crack, so Ducasse stayed in the shadows, learning and growing through each practice and each game.

Now, he's ready for his sophomore season in the NFL ... if only it would ever start.

Ducasse, the former UMass standout out of Stamford, is locked out by the owners, just like hundreds of other players who are ready to report to camp and start playing football again.

"All you can do is just keep working out, staying in shape and be ready, because you never know when they're going to come say, 'We want everybody back,'"said Ducasse. "You have to stay in shape. If we were going back tomorrow, Iknow I'll be ready."

The hardest part of the lock-out, Ducasse says, is dealing with the frustration of not knowing what is going on or when the players will be told to report.

"Yeah, it is frustrating. We're in July and there should be football, but there is no football,"said Ducasse, who was born in Haiti and came to Stamford when he was a young boy. "We're just waiting and waiting. We're all in the same situation. You never know when they'll call. That's why I'm doing my part by being ready."

While Ducasse, a second-round selection of the Jets, came in highly touted, there were doubters who thought that a lineman coming out of the Football Championship Sub-Division couldn't succeed at the NFLlevel.

Despite a rocky rookie year, Ducasse has been pleased with his growth in the last year.

"I'm pleased with how everything went,"he said. "Especially in my situation, as the season went on, Igot better. I've learned a lot because I've pretty much been around a veteran offensive line -- guys like Damien Woody, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Brandon Moore -- I'm around those guys every day and I'm learning."

Ducasse admits he had a hard time at first picking up on the playbook, but despite his rookie status, the veterans helped him learn.

"Iknow a lot of people were saying Iwasn't ready, that Iwasn't learning the playbook well,"Ducasse said. "They helped me pick up a lot."

Ducasse said the first thing he had to do was earn the respect from his fellow linemates.

"That helped me out a lot,"he said. "At first you have to earn their respect. Ithink if you earn the respect on the field, and off the field, too, then the respect will be there. Icame in and Iknew Iwas a rookie. Iwas ready to learn."

Once he started working, the respect came with it.

"(The Jets offensive line) is pretty much a great bunch of guys,"Ducasse said. "They welcomed me in."

Ducasse also gets to play for one of the most media friendly coaches in the league in Rex Ryan, who is never at a loss for words, or quips, or ploys to take the pressure off of his players.

"He's got our back and we've got his back,"Ducasse said. "The same coach you see talking to the media, he's the same coach around us. That's his personality and playing for him is a great feeling. He makes football fun."

That's all Ducasse and his fellow Jets want right now.

A chance to get back to the fun.

Then, he'll get a chance to get back to work.

"Ihave goals -- like when I started playing football, I wanted to become one of the best players in the NFL -- but Iwant to start working and get the season started,"said Ducasse. "Iwant to get a starting position. They've moved me to the right tackle position, so that's where I'm going to fight.Wherever they want me, I'll do my best."

First, however, Ducasse and the rest of the NFLbig boys need to get back to work.

"Ihave goals -- like when I started playing football, I wanted to become one of the best players in the NFL -- but Iwant to start working and get the season started,"said Ducasse. "Iwant to get a starting position. They've moved me to the right tackle position, so that's where I'm going to fight.Wherever they want me, I'll do my best."

First, however, Ducasse and the rest of the NFLbig boys need to get back to work.

Honestly I would to see them bring back Big Wood at RT for another year.

Honestly I would to see them bring back Big Wood at RT for another year.

You never know, but my guess is they'll make Hunter a high-end backup / low-end starter type offer to stick around and if he doesn't take it, they'll move forward with Ducasse, with Woody as the emergency backup plan if it doesn't seem to be working out. Given Woody is still healing up from his achilles injury, I'm guessing there's probably no big rush to bring him back until they really need to.

You never know, but my guess is they'll make Hunter a high-end backup / low-end starter type offer to stick around and if he doesn't take it, they'll move forward with Ducasse, with Woody as the emergency backup plan if it doesn't seem to be working out. Given Woody is still healing up from his achilles injury, I'm guessing there's probably no big rush to bring him back until they really need to.

I don't think they need to rush with Woody since he's recovering and no other team is gonna hand starter money to a 33 yr old coming off a serious Achilles injury.

I agree Wayne filled more than admirably last year. I just like Big Wood's ability to play any of the 5 positions on the O line.

Archived