NY Jets 2011: Pass Rush/D-Line

Warfish

I know many are excited at the potential "No Fly Zone" of Revis/Aso/Kyle Wilson as our three DB's (well, maybe not Wilson so much, lol).

And with the return of Leonhard and assuming the signing of a safety, the D-backfield should be quality (We hope).

The question is who do we think will be manning the D-Line, and (specificly) who will be generating our pass rush in 2011, one of our biggest weaknesses in the Ryan Era.

Ellis remains a free agent, and is past his prime. Jenkins, after two years of hurt, is retired.

So what do you project as our starting 2011 Jets D-Line, and of those players (and the LB's), who do you expect will provide us some QB pressure in normal circumstances? I mean outside Ruan-scheme-based pressure, just guys who can bring pressure on their own?

Adding Aso I think will make players that had maybe only 1 or 2 sacks double that stat line in 2011. The QB will hold the ball longer waiting for a pattern that probably wont develop in time forcing more knockdowns in the backfield. As for our starters, I think Pouha,K. Ellis,S.Ellis are our starters week 1, possibly with Wilkerson taking over somewhere down the line in the season for either Shaun or Pouha at DE. That said because I believe we bring back Shaun for atleast 1 more season. At LB Pace is still our best pass rusher, so I wouldnt be surprised if we add a little youth at this position via FA, maybe like Manny Lawson. He could be an upgrade over the aging but consistent BT.

Adding Aso I think will make players that had maybe only 1 or 2 sacks double that stat line in 2011. The QB will hold the ball longer waiting for a pattern that probably wont develop in time forcing more knockdowns in the backfield. As for our starters, I think Pouha,K. Ellis,S.Ellis are our starters week 1, possibly with Wilkerson taking over somewhere down the line in the season for either Shaun or Pouha at DE. That said because I believe we bring back Shaun for atleast 1 more season. At LB Pace is still our best pass rusher, so I wouldnt be surprised if we add a little youth at this position via FA, maybe like Manny Lawson. He could be an upgrade over the aging but consistent BT.

As far as the Ellises go, Shaun is still a FA and I seriously doubt Kendrick starts week one. Besides, Pouha already has the starting NT job locked down. DeVito will unquestionably be starting again this year, as the guy is one of the single best run defenders in the league, but clearly pass rush is not his forte. So the only real question will be if they bring back Ellis or another vet to start, or if Wilkerson is given the job day one. If he's not ready, only other guy I think could have an outside shot might be Pitoitua if Wilkerson needs more time to learn the D, as Rex is clearly a big fan, but he's got to prove he's healthy first.

As far as the pass rush, while you're never going to get a huge rush from 3-4 DL, I think the Jets see Wilkerson as a guy who can provide a solid push off the line on passing downs. Other than that I think this is the year Rex gives Westerman a real shot to make his mark in the pass rush department, and as always, we'll see plenty of LB and DB blitzes.

I know many are excited at the potential "No Fly Zone" of Revis/Aso/Kyle Wilson as our three DB's (well, maybe not Wilson so much, lol).

And with the return of Leonhard and assuming the signing of a safety, the D-backfield should be quality (We hope).

The question is who do we think will be manning the D-Line, and (specificly) who will be generating our pass rush in 2011, one of our biggest weaknesses in the Ryan Era.

Ellis remains a free agent, and is past his prime. Jenkins, after two years of hurt, is retired.

So what do you project as our starting 2011 Jets D-Line, and of those players (and the LB's), who do you expect will provide us some QB pressure in normal circumstances? I mean outside Ruan-scheme-based pressure, just guys who can bring pressure on their own?

Shaun Ellis may be past his prime, but he was more than effective last season and into the playoffs. He should be brought back.

As far as the Ellises go, Shaun is still a FA and I seriously doubt Kendrick starts week one. Besides, Pouha already has the starting NT job locked down. DeVito will unquestionably be starting again this year, as the guy is one of the single best run defenders in the league, but clearly pass rush is not his forte. So the only real question will be if they bring back Ellis or another vet to start, or if Wilkerson is given the job day one. If he's not ready, only other guy I think could have an outside shot might be Pitoitua if Wilkerson needs more time to learn the D, as Rex is clearly a big fan, but he's got to prove he's healthy first.

As far as the pass rush, while you're never going to get a huge rush from 3-4 DL, I think the Jets see Wilkerson as a guy who can provide a solid push off the line on passing downs. Other than that I think this is the year Rex gives Westerman a real shot to make his mark in the pass rush department, and as always, we'll see plenty of LB and DB blitzes.

While I dont totally dissagree with what you said, I cant help but think Kenrick and Wilk have more upside now, than any other DL we have, size wise, and athleticism wise..so I think they'll contribute as starters sooner rather than later. I love your input about Westerman though, I agree he could be a stud if given the opportunity. B)

While I dont totally dissagree with what you said, I cant help but think Kenrick and Wilk have more upside now, than any other DL we have, size wise, and athleticism wise..so I think they'll contribute as starters sooner rather than later. I love your input about Westerman though, I agree he could be a stud if given the opportunity. B)

Fair point, I just think the abbreviated offseason makes that a little tougher on them. Rex's defense isn't exactly the most simple design, and any position he feels the Jets have a quality veteran alternative he'll be more inclined to go that way. With how well Pouha has played for the Jets the past two years, I think it would be VERY difficult for Ellis to beat him out for the job in such a short timeframe. Given Shaun Ellis' FA status, Wilkersons chances are a bit better.

Fair point, I just think the abbreviated offseason makes that a little tougher on them. Rex's defense isn't exactly the most simple design, and any position he feels the Jets have a quality veteran alternative he'll be more inclined to go that way. With how well Pouha has played for the Jets the past two years, I think it would be VERY difficult for Ellis to beat him out for the job in such a short timeframe. Given Shaun Ellis' FA status, Wilkersons chances are a bit better.

You could be right, we'll just have to wait and see. Just remember, Rex has never been too afraid to throw rookies into the fire as starters before, Sanchez, Kyle Wilson etc.

Archived