Parcells still helping the Jets

BroadwayJ667

False prophet Bill Parcells ejected like a fighter pilot from a spinning plane about to crash into the mountains, somehow landing far away from debris and responsibility with the aid of his golden parachute. Throughout his career, his primary job has been to put people in the best position to succeed. He did not do that job in Miami, not in any way. In fact, he made the job he gave up harder than the one he had, putting his two most powerful pupils in position to fail.

Never mind all that remarkably unremarkable work he did that any general manager or assistant general manager could have done in his position as Dolphins czar. (One of the primate stars in that new Planet Of The Apes movie could have drafted Jake Long, overspent for Karlos Dansby and traded chunks of future for troubled Brandon Marshall. If you argue no other GM would have unearthed treasured Cameron Wake, you must also argue no other one would have wasted a second-round pick on Pat White, either.) But just as damning as the uncertainty left on the field is the unstable position in which Parcells has now left his hand-appointed friends. Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano are fighting to save their jobs in an environment so contaminated that Dolphin headquarters in Davie should be tented by exterminators, if not treated by exorcists.

Parcells could have shielded them from some of the howling if he hadn’t quit. But now the mess and anger and boos and unrelenting negativity are their inheritance. Thanks, sugar daddy. You couldn’t have left us a quarterback instead? So here’s where the new leaders of the Dolphins find themselves today:

The owner tried to replace at least one of them in the offseason. They are fighting for their careers while stuck in a division behind two better teams. And those two teams have the kind of earned credibility at the top of the organization that encourages them to do the job more bravely and boldly, adding guys like Albert Haynesworth, Ochocinco and Plaxico Burress. Doesn’t matter if you believe those are good or bad acquisitions; those two teams can make decisions with less fear than Miami because they have stacked successes atop each other and have the support and trust of their bosses, players and fans.

Tuna the coach was not going to succeed anywhere without Belichick in the background. His teams were made on the defensive side of the ball. He is however a very good motivator, he knows how to push the buttons on players, and hes a master at dealing with all the personalities on a football team. He turned our laughing stock organization into respectable in 2 short years and we have never looked back. He hired Tanny as a capologist and he has learned the game well and become one of the better GM's in the game when it comes to dealing with cap issues. As Parcells lost his men over the years he lost some of what made him great as well. Parcells knew this.... his time has passed since those guys were from his era and are now all pretty much doing thier own thing. At his age to put together the crew he had that made him successful would be difficult

Do you just appear when you have a burning desire to be wrong about Parcells' ability to build a team?

LOL - no just when I'm RIGHT about Parcells. I do chime in here and there on other subjects, but feel compelled to correct the record on the almighty. You're blind love for Parcells is quite humorous.

LOL - no just when I'm RIGHT about Parcells. I do chime in here and there on other subjects, but feel compelled to correct the record on the almighty. You're blind love for Parcells is quite humorous.

Look at the numbers, skid-plate. Go look at the records before Bill gets there and after he leaves. But, I know, he drafted Terry Day once.

Look at the numbers, skid-plate. Go look at the records before Bill gets there and after he leaves. But, I know, he drafted Terry Day once.

It's as if people think the Jets scouting department was nailing down every pick prior to Parcells. lol!

Ive been a fan longer than you probably have been alive. Parcells left us in cap hell.

I dont know how you can say that really. Kotite signed lots of guys too and overpaid them. Parcells managed to get the Jets out of that mess. Every regime leverages the future one way or another. The bottom line is he turned around the franchise from top to bottom. From the uniforms, to the scouting department, to the attitude of the franchise.

I dont know how you can say that really. Kotite signed lots of guys too and overpaid them. Parcells managed to get the Jets out of that mess. Every regime leverages the future one way or another. The bottom line is he turned around the franchise from top to bottom. From the uniforms, to the scouting department, to the attitude of the franchise.

I never said Parcells was all bad. He created alot of the salary cap hell is what I said.

I never said Parcells was all bad. He created alot of the salary cap hell is what I said.

Again, that was a really convenient excuse, imho. What players contracts are you talking about? Aarron Glenn? Becuase Herm never really wanted corners like Glenn anyway. His contract was just an excuse. Players get restructured all of the time. Herm tried to make a 3-4 team into a Tampa Two team and used the cap as an excuse to do it.

Oh and Lebatard sucks too

Big Time

He makes Cimini look like a genius.

Parcells had a problem with the celebrity owners of the Fish walking into his office with suggestions. Not a good thing when your dealing with Parcells. Same thing happened in Dallas, but at least Jerry Jones knows the difference between a football, and a soccer ball.

Parcells isn't a great GM. OK but nothing special. He is a great on field coach, and one of the great motivators in sports.

Archived