Breaking Down Jets Defensive Line

flgreen

Aug 11

12:00

PM ET

By Matt Williamson

To keep in line with the other AFC East blog posts I have written this week, let’s discuss the status of the Jets’ defensive line.

New York used two early draft picks on defensive big men and Shaun Ellis is now with the rival Patriots. Trevor Pryce didn’t play a lot of snaps for the Jets last year, but he was effective when he saw the field. He is currently a free agent without a team. So there will be significant changes.

[+] EnlargeMuhammad Wilkerson

AP Photo/Julio CortezThe Jets are hoping first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson can fill the spot vacated by Shaun Ellis.

Let’s discuss the draft picks and how they fit in. New York used its first-round pick on Muhammad Wilkerson and a third-rounder on Kenrick Ellis. Wilkerson is an excellent physical specimen who looks custom made for defensive end in Rex Ryan’s version of the 3-4. A bigger body than Wilkerson but not as quick or explosive, Ellis is also dripping with potential. Ellis could be a king-sized end, or, if he can prove to consistently play with leverage and keep his pads down, a force in the middle at nose tackle. If not for off-the-field issues, Ellis would have been drafted much higher.

But like all rookies currently getting acclimated to the league, the learning curve for these two is especially steep this season due to the lockout. Compounding matters, Wilkerson is transitioning from Temple and Ellis from Hampton -- which are not exactly NCAA powerhouses. But even if Wilkerson struggles to read blocks and hold the point of attack on early downs as a starting defensive end, he should be quite effective as a rookie rushing the passer in the Jets’ sub packages.

Because of the emergence of Sione Pouha as an upper-echelon nose tackle, New York should be able to bring along Ellis slowly at that position -- maybe just rotating him in from time to time to give the massive Pouha a breather. Pouha offers nothing as a pass-rusher, but he knows how to use his big body very well versus the run. It generally takes two interior offensive linemen to move him backward. And his presence allows the Jets’ exceptional set of inside linebackers to shine.

Although one starting end spot is vacant with Shaun Ellis elsewhere (New York surely would like Wilkerson to grab that job by the throat this preseason), Mike DeVito is among the most underrated players in the league. He is a rock at his end spot. Much like Pouha, DeVito is a simply exceptional player versus the run. But as a pass-rusher, DeVito leaves something to be desired. That being said, you can win an awful lot of games with Pouha and DeVito anchoring the defensive front.

Outside of the four mentioned above, the Jets are a little light on the defensive line, which is a bit concerning considering where Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis are in their development right now. One name to keep in mind is Jarron Gilbert, who was a failure in Chicago’s upfield 4-3 scheme. He really didn’t fit the mold of the Bears’ defensive ends or interior linemen. But Gilbert is only 24, is built like a 3-4 end and has rare athletic ability for such a big man. Gilbert could be exactly the type of guy whom Rex Ryan cultivates and turns into a productive player.

The Jets still have one of the better defensive lines in football. But it isn’t without some uncertainty.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com. Follow Matt Williamson on Twitter @WilliamsonNFL.

Pretty good write-up, and pretty spot on for the most part. The only point I would make is, while I wouldn't expect a lot of attention on these guys from anyone but Jets fans, Pitoitua and Dixon are clearly two guys who Rex is clearly big fans of, and certainly add to the question of line depth. Also just have to say that I love this part:

Although one starting end spot is vacant with Shaun Ellis elsewhere (New York surely would like Wilkerson to grab that job by the throat this preseason), Mike DeVito is among the most underrated players in the league. He is a rock at his end spot. Much like Pouha, DeVito is a simply exceptional player versus the run. But as a pass-rusher, DeVito leaves something to be desired. That being said, you can win an awful lot of games with Pouha and DeVito anchoring the defensive front.

DeVito is probably the single least appreciated player on this roster, and I'm always happy to see the credit he gets from these third partly analyses. Guy had a hell of a year last year, and I can't help but laugh at the multiple times I've seen threads on this board asking who's going to start on the line along with Pouha and Wilkerson.

Pretty good write-up, and pretty spot on for the most part. The only point I would make is, while I wouldn't expect a lot of attention on these guys from anyone but Jets fans, Pitoitua and Dixon are clearly two guys who Rex is clearly big fans of, and certainly add to the question of line depth. Also just have to say that I love this part:

DeVito is probably the single least appreciated player on this roster, and I'm always happy to see the credit he gets from these third partly analyses. Guy had a hell of a year last year, and I can't help but laugh at the multiple times I've seen threads on this board asking who's going to start on the line along with Pouha and Wilkerson.

+1

Devito is solid and it's nice to see him getting some appreciation. OTOH, I don't think they know the Jets personnel too well if they are hyping Gilbert. The team obviously has preferred Pitoitua and Dixon. Dixon would have had a mid round draft grade and gone to a bigger school if he didn't have that "aggravated child molestation" conviction and jail time for having consensual sex with a white girl 3 years younger. It was later overturned, I think based on one of those Romeo and Juliet clauses, but he killed his stock. I think he's still ahead of Gilbert and has been all along. I also like MTV and think he will see some playing time.

Having Ropati healthy is going to be a huge boost for this line.

Like Ryan said about 2 weeks ago, by the end of the year the Jets were a three-man line with no depth to have any kind of rotation. This year, Ellis, Wilkerson, Ropati, Dixon and Gilbert will give the Jets a seriously solid group to rotate in an out.

Jets will definitely have fresh legs in the 2nd half of games this year.

This may turn out to be the most improved part of the team. I'm really excited to see these guys play tonight.

Having Ropati healthy is going to be a huge boost for this line.

Like Ryan said about 2 weeks ago, by the end of the year the Jets were a three-man line with no depth to have any kind of rotation. This year, Ellis, Wilkerson, Ropati, Dixon and Gilbert will give the Jets a seriously solid group to rotate in an out.

Jets will definitely have fresh legs in the 2nd half of games this year.

This may turn out to be the most improved part of the team. I'm really excited to see these guys play tonight.

Rex really said that? That does not bode well for Dixon or Gilbert. They were healthy and active and didn't get much run. There were a couple of games where they went short handed because they wanted extra DBs, but still, those guys barely got on the field and they were there from the 1st game. The main thing that it says is that Pryce was close to useless because he only got limited snaps.

Archived