Comparing the pass rushers...

Beerfish

What does randy gregory have to do with my list of olbs that panned out to some extent?

I'll repost my comment from a previous thread. You name a position I'll start naming early draft busts. with you wild generalized comments a team you ran would have no olbs at all because they are always busts and would draft nothing but safe olineman in the top 10.

Lol haha Gregory lol

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree there, both Beasley and Dupree can play the pass beyond rushing the passer. Dupree specifically played LB in college and was a far more productive player than Fowler. Fowler already lags behind as a rusher and an athlete, why would he become a more complete player otherwise? Both of those guys, especially Dupree, are better bets to be impact LBs.

I would take a complete player. The best bet for that among those three, by far, is Dupree. Then Beasley, then Fowler....

I think I have to agree.  Only if my priority is rushing the passer then complete player it would be Beasley then Dupree... 

My fear is Beasley and Dupree are 1 trick ponies as strictly an outside rusher.  They show nothing after that amazing burst and chasing a QB.  Maybe they have a handful of sacks more a year than Fowler but I dont think they have near the impact on the entire game that Fowler will.  So I guess its a what is more important to you question; a complete player that maybe doesnt post as many sacks or a one trick pony that's only valuable skill set is rushing from the edge?

John Abraham was thought to be a 1 trick pony and was a huge difference maker with that one trick.  If you only had one trick, rushing the passer is a big a trick as it gets.  It would elevate our defense to an entirely new level.   We are already very stout against the run; our problem has been passing downs, especially third down.  You add a Beasley or Dupree to this defense and I think we will win at least 8 games regardless of who is at qb. 

John Abraham was thought to be a 1 trick pony and was a huge difference maker with that one trick.  If you only had one trick, rushing the passer is a big a trick as it gets.  It would elevate our defense to an entirely new level.   We are already very stout against the run; our problem has been passing downs, especially third down.  You add a Beasley or Dupree to this defense and I think we will win at least 8 games regardless of who is at qb. 

I know the importance of a pass rush, but the major problem with us on 3rd down and passing downs was that our cornerbacks were UDFAs and converted safeties.  We solved that problem.  Pace and Babin are pretty old, but they have put up decent numbers over the years an IK showed some life.  To me it would be a very nice luxury to have, but it is not a necessity, especially if Bowles is good at scheming and planning to keep a bunch of DBs on the field anyway.

Archived