WR dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

With Decker Down, Young WRs Stepped Up in ‘16

Posted 15 hours ago

•  
  •  

Enunwa Became a Complete Receiver, Led Club in Receiving Yards and TD Receptions

receivers-position-art.JPG

Last Season Review

The Jets receiving corps had a nice blend of veteran presence blended with an infusion of youth in 2016.  

Faced with adversity, the pass catchers lined up with three signal callers under center this season. WR Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif led the Jets with 59 receptions and was second on the team in receiving yards (788) and touchdowns (3). The 11-year vet battled injuries as early as Week 2 when Jets Nation held its breath after Marshall’s knee bent awkwardly while being tackled against the Bills.

Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif, Marshall’s counterpart on the franchise’s record-setting offense in 2015, played in only three games before he landed on injured reserve Oct. 12 with a shoulder injury.As a result, opportunity arose for the young guns and they answered the call. Second-year WR Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif broke out and led the Green & White with 857 yards and four receiving touchdowns. Labeled the Dennis Rodman of the team by head coach Todd Bowles, the Nebraska product displayed his rare combination of size, speed, athleticism and ability to block throughout the season.  

Undrafted free agent Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif was the team’s go-to deep threat, registering four catches of at least 40 yards, two of which went for touchdowns. The Temple speedster completed his rookie campaign with 42 receptions (third on the team) and 587 yards (fourth on the team).Similar to last year, the Jets tight ends were predominantly featured as in-line blockers. The primary pass catcher of the group was Austin Seferian-Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif — 10 catches for 110 yards — whom the Jets claimed off waivers on Sep. 26 from the Buccaneers. As the team dealt with injuries across the board, two TEs found themselves on IR (Kellen Davisicon-article-link.gif, Braedon Bowmanicon-article-link.gif). 

tempD_E_MK2_4746--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 150 Photos

Looking Ahead

TEs Kellen Davis and Brandon Bostickicon-article-link.gif are the only tight ends and wideouts with expiring contracts in March. Pending any transactions, the Jets receiving corps could look familiar in 2017.Perhaps one of the most talented units on the team, the passing game will be boosted by the expected return Decker and progression of the young receivers.

While Anderson received the most rookie playing time, seventh-round pick Charone Peakeicon-article-link.gif and undrafted free agent Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif both contributed on offense. Peake tallied 19 catches for 186 yards and recovered a fumble that he ran for a 42-yard touchdown against the Seahawks. Marshall, an Ohio State product, hauled in 14 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns.And perhaps this unit will have another leader in 2017. 

“I was a captain at Nebraska so I know how to do it, but this is a totally different level. I also need help from the older guys, but I’m going to do my best. That starts with leading by example,” Enunwa said. “I have to come in every day on time, doing the work on and off the field. From there, I can do what I can speaking-wise as well.”

.    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/With-Decker-Down-Young-WRs-Stepped-Up-in-‘16/9c2e2463-c63b-4a95-b4c3-8d180a2f5992

• 2 weeks later...

Anderson Wasn't Surprised by His Early Success

Posted 20 hours ago

•  
  •  

Rookie Wideout Isn’t Worried About His Weight, Will Work with Chad Johnson in the Offseason

E_MK2_5152-anderson-story.jpg

Rookie WR Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif’s production may have been surprising to most of the league, but he was expecting it. “I didn’t just come in here to say I put on a helmet, was an undrafted free agent and got cut,” Anderson said. “I came here to do what I did. Actually, I didn’t do what I wanted to. I wanted 1,000 yards and a Super Bowl, so I’m still working for my goals.”The Temple product registered 42 catches for 587 yards and two touchdowns in his first season as a pro. Despite moderate success in year one, Anderson understands he needs to continue his progress in order to achieve his goals.

“I’m going to put in a lot of work this offseason,” he said. “There are a couple things I really want to focus on to get better. And I’m just going to go hard and focus on that.”The 6’3”, 190-pound Anderson wouldn’t elaborate on specifics, but he did say bulking up is not part of his offseason plans.“I’m not too concerned with my weight, to be honest,” he said. “But I want to get a little stronger so DBs don’t feel like they can grab me as much as they tried to this year. But my weight is not a concern to me or my coaches.”

tempE_IMG_4835--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 22 Photos

Anderson’s forte lies with his feet. The speedster caught four passes for at least 40 yards in 2016, including both of his touchdown receptions. Since signing as an undrafted free agent in May, the Florida native focused on learning the intricacies as a receiver in the NFL.Following training camp, the 23-year-old was given a locker next to six-time Pro Bowler Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif. Through all the lessons Marshall shared with Anderson, one stands out.“Being successful in the NFL is not just about your physical attributes, it's more so about your brain and knowledge,” Anderson said. “The smarter you are as a football player along with your talent and physical traits takes you to a whole other level.”

And how do you reach that point ?   

“Film study, learning from guys like [Marshall] and your coaches,” he said. “Picking players’ brains, hopefully linking with great players in the offseason and studying film. That’s how you become a smarter football player — recognizing coverages and corners’ tendencies.”One former wideout in the NFL that had a very prolific and successful career and has a similar build to Anderson is Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson (6’1”, 188). Coincidentally, Johnson worked with Anderson leading up to the draft and they plan on more of the same in the offseason. “Oh yeah, I already talked to him,” Anderson said when the Jets cleared out their lockers in early January. “That’s set in stone. That’s mandatory.”

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Anderson-Wasnt-Surprised-by-His-Early-Success/0c3e374d-9873-4a08-8e72-0d13ffcef5b9

After an impressive rookie season, Robby Anderson will look to get every edge he can heading into 2017.

The Jets wide receiver flashed last season after making the team as an undrafted free agent. While other receivers got hurt or underperformed, Anderson made the most of the opportunities he was given, catching 42 passes for 587 yards and two touchdowns in 16 games (eight starts). By season’s end, Anderson was Gang Green’s No. 3 receiver.

This coming season he will likely see even more involvement in the Jets offense as the team looks to get younger. Knowing this, Anderson is calling on a former Pro Bowler to prepare him for his sophomore campaign.

Johnson was a star for the Bengals before wrapping his career up in New England. He spent time with Anderson prior to the NFL draft and is now set to work with the Jet again.The match makes sense, as both receivers have similar builds. Neither is particularly big, with Anderson measuring 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds and Johnson being 6-foot-1 and 188 pounds.

While Anderson’s stature did not hold him back as a rookie, he said he will look to bulk up before his second season.“I’m not too concerned with my weight, to be honest,” he said. “But I want to get a little stronger so DBs don’t feel like they can grab me as much as they tried to this year. But my weight is not a concern to me or my coaches.”

.       >   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/13/report-jets-robby-anderson-to-spend-offseason-with-former-pro-bowler/

Robby Anderson - WR -  Jets

Robby Anderson will train with former NFL receiver Chad Johnson this offseason.

Anderson also worked with Johnson leading up to last year's draft. Johnson has dabbled in coaching before, working as a guest instructor at Browns training camp last summer. He and Anderson share some similarities as thin-framed outside receivers with game-changing speed. Anderson's arrow is pointing up after finishing sixth among rookies with 587 receiving yards last season.

Feb 21 - 3:21 P

Jets could be ready to dump salary, get younger at wide receiver

With free agency approaching (March 9), we're analyzing the biggest needs on the New York Jets' roster, examining possible upgrades:

Position : Wide receiver

2017 cap hits of top returnees :

Pending free agents :  None.

Key stat : The Jets' receivers dropped 19 passes (tied for third-most in NFL), including seven by Marshall and five by Enunwa, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The receiving corps averaged only 4.11 yards after catch per reception, 18th in the league. That has to improve, especially if new offensive coordinator John Morton installs a West Coast system, which is predicated on YAC.

Money matters : Cap-wise, they're top heavy with Decker and Marshall. Overall, the Jets have $20.6 million committed to receivers, fifth-most in the NFL. Decker, who turns 30 on March 15, could be asked to restructure his deal, which has two years remaining. The $8.75 million number is large, considering he's coming off hip and shoulder surgeries. Marshall's cap charge isn't crazy, but his age (33) puts him in a precarious position. Enunwa, still two years away from unrestricted free agency, is one of the best values around.

Big picture : The Jets have some young talent at the position -- Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall -- and they need to play. Bringing back Decker and Marshall would impede their progress. With Decker, it's a medical/financial decision. If healthy, he's still young enough at 30 to be productive for at least another couple of years. Marshall is coming off his worst season from a statistical standpoint, and players usually don't have bounce-back years when they've reached his age. At the same time, he can fit a West Coast system because of his size and route-running ability. It wouldn't be a surprise if they try to shop Marshall before the draft.

Free-agent market watch : DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Terrelle Pryor, Pierre Garcon, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith, Kenny Britt, Cordarrelle Patterson, Anquan Boldin, Michael Floyd, Victor Cruz.

Also could become available : Danny Amendola, Torrey Smith, Eddie Royal.

The game plan : There's no need to spend money here. The talent is on campus, now it just has to be developed. The Jets could draft a receiver, but it would be a surprise if they make a significant buy in free agency.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66909/jets-could-be-ready-to-dump-salary-get-younger-at-wide-receiver

• 1 month later...

Jets' signing of WR Quinton Patton all about familiarity, depth

Continuing to shop in the bargain aisle, the New York Jets have signed free-agent wide receiver Quinton Patton, formerly of the San Francisco 49ers. This is a "connection" signing, and the connection is offensive coordinator John Morton. He was Patton's first position coach with the 49ers in 2013.

Terms: Not immediately available, but it's likely a one-year contract with a small amount of guaranteed money.

ESPN 150 ranking: Not ranked.

Quinton Patton set career highs with 37 receptions and 408 yards last season for San Francisco. Jason O. Watson/Getty Images

Grade -- C: Patton is the first wide-receiver add since they released Brandon Marshall, but he's not expected to replace Marshall. No, no, no. But let's say this for Patton: Unlike the Jets' first four free-agent signings -- Kelvin Beachum, Chandler Catanzaro, Morris Claiborne and Josh McCown -- Patton isn't coming off a down or injury-plagued season. He set career highs with 37 receptions and 408 yards, as he played 68 percent of the offensive snaps for the 49ers.

What it means: Patton, 26, will add veteran depth at receiver. His background with Morton should give him a jump on the others in terms of learning the new system. The former fourth-round pick has 73 career receptions, which puts him third on the team, behind Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa. The 6-foot Patton can play outside and in the slot, where he made 16 of his 37 catches last season, per ESPN Stats & Information. He was an afterthought in his first two seasons, playing behind Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, but his role expanded in 2015. The new regime in San Francisco made him expendable, as they re-signed Jeremy Kerley and added Pierre Garcon and Marquise Goodwin. He's not an explosive player (only one career touchdown), but rather a possession receiver. He dropped six passes over the past two years, a bit much for 120 targets.

What's the risk: There really is no risk, financial or otherwise. Patton will battle the likes of Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall (four-game suspension) and Devin Smith for a reserve role. It could be anywhere from No. 3 to No. 5/6 on the receiver depth chart. Things will change if Decker gets released at some point, which is a possibility. If Patton sticks, the Jets will have two receivers whose first names start with Q. How many teams can say that ?

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67728/jets-signing-of-wr-quinton-patton-all-about-familiarity-depth

The Jets added fifth-year WR Quinton Pattonicon-article-link.gif to their receiving corps Thursday. Here are six nuggets to know about Patton now that he’s rejoined his former position coach, offensive coordinator John Morton.

Eager to Start Working
In Patton’s rookie season with the 49ers, he flew from his home state of Tennessee to San Francisco on his own dime to workout with the team prior to rookie minicamps. However, the fourth-round pick never made it to the facility. He had to turn around because he would’ve been ineligible to participate in rookie camp the following week.

However, his actions caught the eye of his head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who said Patton reminded him of himself.

Pie Face
Patton’s father is known as “The Pie Man” in his neighborhood. The 6’0”, 204-pounder was once expecting to receive a pie in the mail, but it never quite made it to his house despite what the UPS tracker read. “Somebody had a sweet tooth,” he told Niners Nation.

Fun fact : Patton’s favorite pie is apple. 

Big Fish in a Small Pond
Patton was very productive for Louisiana Tech after spending a year at Coffeyville Community College. In two seasons for the Bulldogs, he registered 183 receptions for 2,594 yards and 24 touchdowns, earning first-team all-conference honors both years. He had 11 games with at least 100 receiving yards and two over 200, one of which came against Texas A&M (233 yards). He had his most productive collegiate outing against the Aggies in a 59-57 shootout loss, tying school records for receptions and touchdowns in a single game with 21 and four, respectively.

Culinary Quinton
Patton has a passion for cuisine, stemming from his childhood when his father was a chef in the Nashville area. During his time in San Francisco, Patton wanted to open up a Pappadeaux, a seafood chain, in San Jose. In an interview with 49ers.com, Patton said his dream is to open a restaurant named Uncle Phil’s, after former teammate Phil Dawson. 

Real Recognizes Real
Former Mississippi State CB Jonathan Banks, a second-round selection by the Bears in 2013, gave props to Patton during his draft process."I feel like [Patton] from Louisiana Tech is the best receiver I've played against since I've been here,” Banks said in an interview with ESPN.com. “I've gone against some good ones in the SEC, too, but he's probably the most complete."

Just for the record, SEC receivers that overlap with Banks’ college tenure include A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief and Jordan Matthews.

Involved in the Community 
Patton was active off the field while playing for the Bulldogs. Prior to their bowl game in 2011, the Louisiana Tech players participated in the Poinsettia Bowl’s Make-A-Wish-Foundation event. However, Patton and fellow teammate Adrien Cole went a step further and donated their bowl gifts, which included a $300 Best Buy gift card. 

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/6-Things-to-Know-About-Quinton-Patton/0d677044-9333-4a87-95b2-e2f77791843f

Todd Bowles will meet reporters at 10:15 a.m. ET Tuesday at the AFC coaches' breakfast, an annual event at the NFL owners' meetings. This will be his first time addressing the media since March 2 at the scouting combine, which was before free agency. A lot has happened.

The five most compelling questions for Bowles :

~ ~ 4. What's up with Eric Decker's health and will he be on the team in 2017 ? Decker is recovering from hip and shoulder surgeries. In recent interview, general manager Mike Maccagnan was non-committal, saying they'd evaluate Decker's status once he's healthy later in the spring. Decker just turned 30 and he has the second-highest cap charge ($8.75 million) on the team, so he's perceived to be on shaky ground.

What Bowles should say: He should commit a roster spot to Decker. Unless there's a serious health concern, he still has value to the Jets. His salary isn't outrageous from a leaguewide perspective and his experience would help stabilize a young receiving corps. It wouldn't be a smart football decision to move on from Decker.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67797/jets-todd-bowles-should-declare-open-qb-competition-for-now

• 3 weeks later...

This is the third installment of our position-by-position breakdown for the New York Jets as we head to the April 27-29 draft:

Position: Wide receiver

Current personnel: Eric Decker (signed through 2018), Quincy Enunwa (2017), Robby Anderson (2018), Devin Smith (2018), Quinton Patton (2017), Jalin Marshall (2018), Charone Peake (2019), Frankie Hammond (2017), Myles White (2018), Darius Jennings (2018), Deshon Foxx (2018).

Key newcomers: Patton (free agent/San Francisco 49ers).

Departures: Brandon Marshall (cut/New York Giants).

Projected starters: Decker, Enunwa.

Overview: This is the Jets' deepest position in terms of youth and potential. With Marshall gone, Decker, 30, is the oldest guy in the room. There has been some speculation about his future -- he counts $8.75 million on the cap, and he's coming off hip and shoulder surgeries -- but the team is leaning toward keeping him. And they should. They need a veteran anchor. If healthy, he still can be a productive receiver and he'll be a positive influence on the young players. He can play inside and outside, as can Enunwa, one of the most improved players on the team. The Jets could use another perimeter threat. Anderson has home run ability on the outside, but he needs to expand his game to be effective in a West Coast-style offense. Interesting to note: The Jets haven't invested much draft capital at wide receiver. The highest-drafted player is the injury-plagued Smith, a former second-round pick who is running out of chances. Receiver isn't a pressing need, but it wouldn't be a shock if they drafted one at some point.

The last wide receiver drafted: They took Peake in the seventh round last year, a nice pick up. He has a chance to develop into a rotational player.

Potential targets: It would be an upset if they take a receiver with the sixth pick, but Mike Williams (Clemson) and Corey Davis (Western Michigan) could come into play in a trade-down scenario. Davis is recovering from an ankle injury. Considering the state of the offense, the Jets are in no position to turn their back on playmakers, regardless of position. At 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-3, respectively, Williams and Davis have the size teams covet in a West Coast system. Overall, it's a down year for receivers. It wouldn't be a surprise if only three are selected in the first round. One player to watch is Chris Godwin (Penn State), who visited last week. He's a scheme fit who recorded 128 catches, 2,083 yards (16.3 yards per catch) and 16 touchdowns over the last two seasons. He could be an option in the third round. The Jets also hosted two late-round possibilities on visits -- Damore'ea Stringfellow (Ole Miss) and Deangelo Yancey (Purdue).

Need factor (based on a scale of 1 to 10): 5.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68203/forgetting-brandon-marshall-how-jets-can-replace-leading-receiver

• 4 weeks later...

Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif was honored as United Way’s “Hometown Hero”  at the 24thAnnual Gridiron Gala for his commitment to making an impact in the community.

“Quincy is one of those people that really exemplified what it means to give back,” said United Way of New York City president Sheena Wright. “He’s so successful on the field, but he really takes the time and makes the effort to make sure he’s giving back to the community. What’s wonderful is that the Jets have nominated him. This is a pretty prestigious award to recognize those players that are exemplary. Quincy has done that and we need to lift him up, so that he can be an example for everyone else.”

A sixth-round pick out of Nebraska in 2014, Enunwa has been a staple of the Jets’ Hometown Huddle, Play 60 and Anti-Bullying campaigns.

“It’s huge for me,” Enunwa said of the honor. “You look at the guys who have won it in the past like Prince Amukamara and Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif. I went to school with Prince and watched Eric growing up. And now that I’m the same team as him, it’s great for me. I’m hoping the young guys that watch me go up there also do the same thing to help out in the community and have an opportunity to come out here and speak as well.”

The Gala, which was attended by Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif, Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif, Bruce Harper, Wesley Walker and Joe Namath, raised nearly $2 million to benefit the 2.7 million people who struggle to make ends meet.

“We are supporting our work with children who live in the neighborhoods with the highest complications of poverty in this city,” said Ms. Wright. “Tonight supports their educational attainment, making sure they have all the tools they need to be successful academically and it also supports a new initiative we’re doing with the NFL that’s about building strong character and resilience. We are making sure kids have the tools they need in really trying circumstances to  make the right choices. It’s called ‘Character Playbook.’ We launched it just this year with 38 middle schools all across the city of New York and the Jets are also doing it in New Jersey. Every franchise in the NFL is doing it across 32 markets, so we’re really proud and excited about that.”

Namath, who is a regular attendee at the Gala that helps the United Way fight poverty across the five boroughs, praised Enunwa for his passion to the Jets’ community platforms.

“He’s a wonderful man, he works hard off the sports field. He does a great job with the team in the locker room and in the community he’s gone out of his way to contribute and help out,” he said.While everyone enjoyed a fine dinner at the Gridiron Gala, one in four New Yorkers do not have enough income to pay for basic necessities. Enunwa plans on continuing to use his platform to help as the United Way focuses on education, income stability and health.

“The only way we can solve our problems is to do it collectively and we need people like Quincy to stand up, give a call to action and motivate people to do it,” said Ms. Wright. “We’re so happy, proud and pleased to partner with him and the Jets and honor him.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/How-Quincy-Enunwa-Became-a-Hometown-Hero/917255a5-864f-45b4-b81a-8ce4dbb56067

Archived