8/1 Cimini: Nose for the game - Robertson tackles new position

Sperm Edwards

Nose for the game

Robertson tackles new position

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

726-robertson_dwayne.JPGFormer first-round pick Dewayne Robertson rushes to relaunch Jets career as a nose tackle in new coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defensive alignment.

The answer sounded scripted, as if he were reading from a cue card prepared by the Jets' thought police. The question: How do you like the switch to nose tackle? "Nose tackle is a great position," Dewayne Robertson said. "I'm having fun learning it and playing it."

Say what?

Robertson might be the first defensive lineman in history to describe the high-pain, no-glory position of nose tackle as fun. Is it fun being a human shock absorber, getting pounded and sideswiped on every play?

In Robertson's case, he has no choice, so he's following the program. New coach Eric Mangini is installing a 3-4 defense and Robertson, who was supposed to be the next Warren Sapp (a playmaking tackle in the 4-3), is their best option.

Not that they're overflowing with choices.

Monsanto Pope, a onetime starter with the Broncos, left camp yesterday for "personal reasons," according to Mangini, who doesn't expect him to return. The Jets signed Pope because they felt he had the versatility to play different spots on the line, including the nose, but he's leaning toward retirement, his agent said.

Sione Pouha, who reported to camp in terrific shape after a washout rookie season, is another viable candidate, but he's out indefinitely with a knee injury.

So the Jets are counting on Robertson to anchor the 3-4. The pressure shouldn't bother him; after all, he came into the NFL facing enormous expectations as the fourth pick in the 2003 draft.

Robertson was going to be the prototypical "3-technique" tackle, lining up in the guard-tackle gap and knifing into the backfield on a regular basis. But, in three seasons, he has only 81/2 sacks.

Former teammate John Abraham, now with the Falcons, recently took a veiled shot at Robertson. Discussing Rod Coleman, Atlanta's standout interior lineman, Abraham said he's never played next to a tackle with so much ability. Robertson, who lined up next to Abraham for three years, insisted he isn't bothered by the comment.

Another ex-teammate, Josh Evans, believes Robertson still has star potential - but not as a two-gapping nose tackle who lines up over the center.

"This is going to ruffle some feathers, but I don't think that's his best role," the former defensive tackle said recently. "I guarantee, Dewayne feels the same way even though he might not say it.

"He'd be great if they just let him go, let him shoot gaps and get upfield," Evans continued. "He'd be one of the best defensive tackles in the league. You can't leave him in there, holding up two guys. He's not big enough to take that kind of pounding. They'll wear him out."

Robertson is 6-1, 310, smallish for a nose tackle. There's also the issue of his right knee. It has no cartilage, creating a bone-on-bone situation, it was revealed last summer.

He's never missed a game because of it - "my knee is fine," he said - but it's still a concern for the organization, which is paying him big money. Robertson ($9.5 million cap figure) is the highest-paid defensive tackle in the league.

Mangini has had nothing but praise for Robertson, who impressed the coaches by running extra laps after the pre-camp conditioning test. He loves Robertson's versatility, and there probably will be times when he employs a 4-3 scheme, allowing Robertson to play his old spot. But, for the most part, he'll be on the nose.

Robertson doesn't understand the hullabaloo over the change. To him, it's simple. His theory:

"It's still lining up over a man, and basically, you've just got to whip the man's (butt)."

Originally published on August 1, 2006

I actually think he will thrive in this defense.

Absolutely. I like the way DRob is taking on the 'new position', he's treating it like he should, keeping it simple and just playing football and trying to whip the other guy's butt. That's pure football baby, screw this whole 3 or 4 technique stuff, get on the field and whip somebody!

I actually think he will thrive in this defense.

If his agent has any brains (and judging from DRob's contract, he does) - he should tell DRob to EMBRACE this switch to NT. If the Jets release him after this year, he's much more marketable as a DT who can play the nose rather than a guy who has solely been 1-gapping since Kentucky.

Tuna used to say there were only two things that motivate players: job and money. I don't totally subscribe to that but it holds a lot of truth. Putting in lots of time at NT will mean lots of both for DRob's future.

Archived