8/1 Newsday (Tom Rock) - It's all happening so fast (Brick article)

Sperm Edwards

JETS

It's all happening so fast

Top pick Ferguson's first days in NFL filled with many challenges

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

August 1, 2006

Every veteran can remember his "Welcome to the NFL" moment. Usually, it comes with a scolding from a coach, an embarrassing missed assignment or a locker-room gag.

For Jets first-round pick and rookie left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the last few days have been one continuous and sometimes head-spinning welcome moment.

Whether awkwardly running away from reporters on his first day at training camp, or awkwardly stumbling over blocking pads during calisthenics yesterday, or showing glimpses of the promise that will make him the high-profile anchor of a revamped offensive line, Ferguson is feeling his way around his first experience with professional football.

"I think I have it every day," the Freeport product said of that special moment that has, in his eyes, blended into a plural. "It could be something on the field that I learn, it could be the intensity, it could be the weather. Every day I find something new."

Ferguson endured his first prolonged exposure with reporters since signing his five-year deal worth $27.5 million that includes $18 million in guaranteed money on the eve of camp last week. If the encounter had been an SAT, he would have done well on the verbal section (he gave thoughtful answers to the roles of veteran players in his development and his relationship with fellow first-round pick and rookie starting center Nick Mangold). But he flunked the math (he didn't recall the numbers on either his much ballyhooed wingspan or the weight at which he reported to camp; 87 inches and 312 pounds are the correct answers).

Of course, the Jets aren't paying him to remember measurements or spin folksy yarns. He's on the field to block, and the Jets would much rather he fill his noggin with schemes than stats. Ferguson said comprehending the daunting playbook has been his most difficult challenge. His physical abilities speak for themselves.

"The one thing about Brick is, look at how fluid he is in his movements, his lateral movements," said guard Pete Kendall, who plays next to Ferguson on the left side of the line. "And you can't miss the length of his arms. Both those attributes bode well for a left tackle."

Despite growing up just a few miles from Jets training camp at Hofstra, Ferguson said he never attended the public workouts as a youngster. He was more involved with karate than football, he said, because his father grew up in the Bahamas and had not yet developed an appetite for American football. He also said his 6-6 power forward frame never translated to prowess on the hardcourt.

"I didn't have much of a basketball career," he said, "but that was one of my motivations for coming out and trying this sport."

Since "trying" football, he's adjusted well at every level. He dominated the high school scene, winning the Thorp Award as Nassau County's most outstanding player as a Freeport lineman in 2001. Then he developed into a star at Virginia, where he played for four years before becoming the No. 4 overall pick this past spring.

Now the big man with the big smile and the newly expanded wallet is home ... or at least close to home.

He said he hears from a lot of friends and family who want to come to Jets workouts and visit with him. Sometimes he even has a few minutes to meet with them after practice before he runs off to a team meeting or a study session.

"It's a nice, warm feeling," he said of beginning his professional career so close to where he was introduced to the sport and being in contact with those who knew him when. "I'm glad I can do something that can make people smile."

As long as he can make opponents wince, the Jets will keep smiling, too. Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

JETS

It's all happening so fast

Top pick Ferguson's first days in NFL filled with many challenges

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

August 1, 2006

Every veteran can remember his "Welcome to the NFL" moment. Usually, it comes with a scolding from a coach, an embarrassing missed assignment or a locker-room gag.

For Jets first-round pick and rookie left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the last few days have been one continuous and sometimes head-spinning welcome moment.

Whether awkwardly running away from reporters on his first day at training camp, or awkwardly stumbling over blocking pads during calisthenics yesterday, or showing glimpses of the promise that will make him the high-profile anchor of a revamped offensive line, Ferguson is feeling his way around his first experience with professional football.

"I think I have it every day," the Freeport product said of that special moment that has, in his eyes, blended into a plural. "It could be something on the field that I learn, it could be the intensity, it could be the weather. Every day I find something new."

Ferguson endured his first prolonged exposure with reporters since signing his five-year deal worth $27.5 million that includes $18 million in guaranteed money on the eve of camp last week. If the encounter had been an SAT, he would have done well on the verbal section (he gave thoughtful answers to the roles of veteran players in his development and his relationship with fellow first-round pick and rookie starting center Nick Mangold). But he flunked the math (he didn't recall the numbers on either his much ballyhooed wingspan or the weight at which he reported to camp; 87 inches and 312 pounds are the correct answers).

Of course, the Jets aren't paying him to remember measurements or spin folksy yarns. He's on the field to block, and the Jets would much rather he fill his noggin with schemes than stats. Ferguson said comprehending the daunting playbook has been his most difficult challenge. His physical abilities speak for themselves.

"The one thing about Brick is, look at how fluid he is in his movements, his lateral movements," said guard Pete Kendall, who plays next to Ferguson on the left side of the line. "And you can't miss the length of his arms. Both those attributes bode well for a left tackle."

Despite growing up just a few miles from Jets training camp at Hofstra, Ferguson said he never attended the public workouts as a youngster. He was more involved with karate than football, he said, because his father grew up in the Bahamas and had not yet developed an appetite for American football. He also said his 6-6 power forward frame never translated to prowess on the hardcourt.

"I didn't have much of a basketball career," he said, "but that was one of my motivations for coming out and trying this sport."

Since "trying" football, he's adjusted well at every level. He dominated the high school scene, winning the Thorp Award as Nassau County's most outstanding player as a Freeport lineman in 2001. Then he developed into a star at Virginia, where he played for four years before becoming the No. 4 overall pick this past spring.

Now the big man with the big smile and the newly expanded wallet is home ... or at least close to home.

He said he hears from a lot of friends and family who want to come to Jets workouts and visit with him. Sometimes he even has a few minutes to meet with them after practice before he runs off to a team meeting or a study session.

"It's a nice, warm feeling," he said of beginning his professional career so close to where he was introduced to the sport and being in contact with those who knew him when. "I'm glad I can do something that can make people smile."

As long as he can make opponents wince, the Jets will keep smiling, too. Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

D'Brick's wingspan is over 7 feet! Holy crap!

Yeah, and apparently he uses it to escape silly reporters. :lol: Fly D'Brick! Fly!

I just finished reading that thread over at JI, first time I have ever gone there. I was shocked at how that sooth guy was running that joint, really glad I stumbled onto this site before getting sucked in there. I was also impressed with the amount of disdain with which TX is received over there, TX here's to you big guy for being so damn consistent!

Archived