Curtis Martin - is the streak in jeopardy?

BlackLabelJetsFan

Curtis has 615 yards in 10 games on the season. That's obviously a 61.5 YPG average.

If he keeps performing at that level, he'll finish with 984 yards.

He's got to kick it up to 65 yards per game for the rest of the season if he hopes to break 1000.

That 4 carries for 7 yards performance on Sunday didn't help.

who cares. if we had a coach with balls CM would be on the pine.

I don't think that Miami, Pats and Bills are going to let him run wild (well, maybe the Bills).

While I think Curtis is great and would love him to get the yards this season and go into the HoF as a Jet, it is pretty clear he has lost a step and should not be the starter next year.

(pains me to say that)

BZ

Curtis has 615 yards in 10 games on the season. That's obviously a 61.5 YPG average.

He's got to kick it up to 65 yards per game for the rest of the season if he hopes to break 1000.

i can't believe such a paltry per game average is still the benchmark for a good season.

1,000 yds is the ultimate compiler statistic. all you need to do is stay healthy and it is just about automatic for a starting rb.

i can't believe such a paltry per game average is still the benchmark for a good season.

1,000 yds is the ultimate compiler statistic. all you need to do is stay healthy and it is just about automatic for a starting rb.

To the educated fan, its not the benchmark. To the mass media and the folks who hype this kind of crap, its unfortunately still the benchmark, and in terms of streaks, it still gets mention, like it or not.

Last year 18 running backs broke 1000 yards. Another couple came close. To me, 1200 is more of a benchmark. Usually thats about top 10 in the league. If you want to be really picky, 1400 would probably be about top 5 in the league.

As it pertains to Curtis, 1000 yards in a season isn't particularly impressive. But doing it every year for a decade is.

Certainly a 1,000 yards in a season isn't much of a mark for one season, but how about 2 or 3 season? How about 5 or 7?

The point is, staying healthy, strong and being able to run hard for 10 years is certainly an achievement.

Add to that his performance last season.

Obviously, between his age, his health, our offensive line, our always playing from behind, getting 1,000 yards this season is going to be tough.

BZ

I hope he gets it. Honestly there is NOTHING else to root for.

Here is my short list:

- Seeing Jay come back. Can he win a game?

- Seeing Hendu's Defense show up and play 90 minutes.

- A win for X-mas.

- Spoiling someone else's season.

- Not having to send in my playoff ticket money.

- Miller has GOT to break one!

BZ

Who cares. The 1,000 Yard season isn't what it used to be. Teams only played a 14 game schedule up to 1977 and 12 games before 1961. If Jim Brown played a 16 game schedule and more than 9 seasons, what kind of #'s he could of had.

Certainly a 1,000 yards in a season isn't much of a mark for one season, but how about 2 or 3 season? How about 5 or 7?

The point is, staying healthy, strong and being able to run hard for 10 years is certainly an achievement.

Add to that his performance last season.

Obviously, between his age, his health, our offensive line, our always playing from behind, getting 1,000 yards this season is going to be tough.

BZ

yes, it's an achievement to stay healthy for that long. but if you run for 62.5 yds/game you are really not doing much to help your team win or are even in the upper echelon of rb's league wide.

BZ - what would you rather have 4 1,500 yd seasons or 10 1,000 yd seasons in a row?

BZ - what would you rather have 4 1,500 yd seasons or 10 1,000 yd seasons in a row?

For the team, I rather our RB get 1,500 a year for a few years and move on to the next guy.

That being said, last year was awesome and so is Curtis.

I hope he collects his 1,000 this year, goes down in the history, Jets and HoF books and he starts as our #2 next year.

BZ

Due to the fact that I sincerely fear that if Curtis gets 1000 yards this year Herm will definately be riding him again next year, part of me hopes he falls short this year. On the other hand Martin is the only player on the Jets that I have really always been a huge fan of, so another part hopes he gets it.

Here is my short list:

why? hurt our draft pick and endanger him for next year

isnt the game 60 minutes?

- A win for X-mas.

reggie bush is a gift that will keep on giving

at the expense of losing reggie bush?

Ok I give u that one

Hope not, he needs to be on pine, he has the highest fumble/per kickoff % in NFL history

BZ

Due to the fact that I sincerely fear that if Curtis gets 1000 yards this year Herm will definately be riding him again next year, part of me hopes he falls short this year. On the other hand Martin is the only player on the Jets that I have really always been a huge fan of, so another part hopes he gets it.

Im hoping for the rare 3rd scenario...that he gets it and both he and the coaching staff decide he's accomplished everything they've been grinding out the past few years, and he can settle into a complimentary role as the #2 in 2006.

I know its a long shot, but while we're hoping and all...

Here is my short list:

- A win for X-mas.

BZ

...I agree. There's not much more to look forward to. I wish my Curty was having a more significant impact on the season, but it isn't that way. 1000 yards despite it all...poor blocking, bad knee, and losing season...ok. But like it's been stated, that really isnt the standard anymore. 1200 and better is where its at. But it would be nice to see for me..a Curtis fan. The Jay Fiedler one is something I'd like to see to BZ and definately a spoiler situation.

Archived