Burress has Jets enthralled about offense

Jetsfan80

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/plaxico_burress_has_jets_enthr.html

Plaxico Burress has Jets enthralled about offense after Sunday's performance

Updated: Monday, August 22, 2011, 10:19 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jets coach Rex Ryan couldn’t help but boast about his new, 6-5 target Sunday night.

“Hey Marv, look how big this guy is,” Ryan said he told Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

Lewis knew. When he was defensive coordinator of the Ravens early last decade, and Ryan was the defensive line coach, the Baltimore Ravens had to roll its coverage to a young Pittsburgh Steelers talent named Plaxico Burress.

Ryan told Lewis he remembered those days. “That’s why we got him here,” Ryan said.

The Jets said they want to let quarterback Mark Sanchez air it out more in his third season, and they assembled a supporting cast to allow him do so: Burress and Santonio Holmes on the outside, each a deep threat in a different way, and 15-year veteran Derrick Mason, known for his ability to work the middle of the field.

As Burress made a dazzling return to football in Sunday’s 27-7 preseason victory against the Bengals, the possibilities for the Jets offense at once seemed very rich.

There are still lingering questions: How in synch will Burress and Mason be with Sanchez by the regular-season opener on Sept. 11? Can the veterans stay healthy? (Mason, 37, missed Sunday’s game with a knee injury, and Burress is recovered from a sprained ankle). Will Sanchez deliver on heightened expectations?

Only time will tell.

But this combination — along with tight end Dustin Keller and a ground game led by Shonn Greene — has the potential to be a tough draw for opponents.

“This is going to be a long season for any defense that comes up to play us this year,” Holmes said confidently.

Burress’ 26-yard touchdown catch proved that, even after nearly three years away from football while serving a prison sentence for illegal gun possession, he can still exploit one-on-one coverage. For Burress, it is not speed, but size that has always been his greatest weapon.

“You see we beat Cover-One and we beat Cover-Zero throwing the ball up to him,” Ryan said. “I don’t care who you are playing corner, you can be Willie Brown or Darrelle Revis out there, that’s going to be tough.”

He is an ideal pairing to Holmes, the speedster and excellent route-runner whom the Jets prioritized bringing back in free agency. When they lost Jerricho Cotchery, who requested a trade or release, the team signed Mason, described by Sanchez as “the glue for those two guys ... your bail-out in the slot.”

Ryan boldly predicted Mason could have 90 to 100 catches this season, because of the attention Burress and Holmes will receive.

More coverage:

Looking at the weapons the Jets front office has given him, Sanchez feels an obligation to reap the potential.

“That’s the biggest question: What are you going to do with all these wideouts?” Sanchez said. “And it’s on the quarterback. It’s on me to be sharp and be efficient and to get them balls to catch.”

Among Sanchez’s goals is to raise his completion percentage. To do so, he needs to be an accurate passer — but he also knows he has the kind of receivers who can bail him out sometimes with a one-handed grab or a make catch in double coverage.

The pieces fell into place gradually, and there have been injuries to wait out. But could this be the receiving corps that propels the offense to the next level?

“This offense can really be special,” Burress said. “We have a great defense, we all know that, and I’m challenging our offense to go out and score 28, 30 points a week. I believe that’s something that we can do; we definitely have all the weapons to do so.”

PLAXICO!!@!@

I have to say Sunday night made it look like he might really be able to contribute this season. I personally was not in favor of bringing him in but it looked like if he and sanchez can click, this might be an exciting season for us. I'm excited!

I have to say Sunday night made it look like he might really be able to contribute this season. I personally was not in favor of bringing him in but it looked like if he and sanchez can click, this might be an exciting season for us. I'm excited!

I wasn't in favor of the signing either. I'm just hopeful he stays healthy this season because we will need him if we are gonna have a better redzone offense.

This offense is scary. Seriously...who does a D key in on when you have Holmes and Plax lined up wide, Mason in the slot, Keller as a TE and LT coming out of the backfield?

If Sanchez takes it to the next level, the Jets will be a nightmare to prepare for.

Who the hell is staying in to help the OL pick up the blitz?

Who the hell is staying in to help the OL pick up the blitz?

Well, LT is a great at picking up the blitz...but thats besides the point. If Sanchez takes it to the next level, I dare a team to blitz when we have that package. Did you see Sunday Night the TD to Plax? This offense will make you pay for blitzing with that many weapons.

Archived