Reggie Bush named Miami starting RB

Jetsfan80

I would say the bigger news here is that they signed Larry Johnson. They just drafted Daniel Thomas. That seems like a big indictment on Thomas to me. Long term maybe not, but as for this year Thomas is not the running back they envisioned him to be.

Exactly. Also add in the fact that there is no real NFL RB experience on this roster besides Bush. Hillard has seen virtually no action since he's been with the Fins and Thomas is a rookie.

just to play devils advocate this is a player who won the heisman, a BCS championship, and the Super Bowl. and everyone craps on him.

To be clear I don't think he's durable enough to last a season as a #1 back but Reggie Bush is underrated, especially on turf.

Other recent Heisman winners:

Tim Tebow

Troy Smith

Matt Leinhart

Jason White

Eric Crouch

Chris Weinke

and who can forget - Gino Torretta!!

In your opinion, how has Thomas looked in the preseason? Are you as underwhelmed as the rest of the FO seems to be?

He's not ready, which is kind of scary because of all positions that you can plug someone in and not expect a big learning curve it's RB. Now i will say from his below average performance in preseason week 1 against the Falcons (4 car for 5 yds) to the 2nd preseaon game against Carolina (12 car for 52 yds.) the kid showed improvement and thats really all you can ask for at this point, week to week improvement.

He's not ready, which is kind of scary because of all positions that you can plug someone in and not expect a big learning curve it's RB. Now i will say from his below average performance in preseason week 1 against the Falcons (4 car for 5 yds) to the 2nd preseaon game against Carolina (12 car for 52 yds.) the kid showed improvement and thats really all you can ask for at this point, week to week improvement.

It's funny you say this because I don't know why, it seems that plug and play aspect of drafted RBs is becoming less and less common these days, all around the league. Sure you have one or two high picks a year who pull it off, but it's not that many years ago you'd be seeing at least half a dozen players from all rounds becoming major contributors right off the bat. I don't know if it's the change in responsibilities with the league becoming more pass-heavy, meaning more responsibilities not only receiving wise, but also in terms of pass blocking. Not only that, I think more and more teams are going with zone blocking schemes, which definitely requires more reads from the HB. Consider the fact that the Jets for 3 straight years now have buried their rookie RBs on the depth chart, specifically stating they want these guys to learn and develop before hitting the field. It's definitely a strange situation, but it seems to be increasingly more common. Or maybe the RB talent in these past few drafts just haven't been up to par, who knows.

It's funny you say this because I don't know why, it seems that plug and play aspect of drafted RBs is becoming less and less common these days, all around the league. Sure you have one or two high picks a year who pull it off, but it's not that many years ago you'd be seeing at least half a dozen players from all rounds becoming major contributors right off the bat. I don't know if it's the change in responsibilities with the league becoming more pass-heavy, meaning more responsibilities not only receiving wise, but also in terms of pass blocking. Not only that, I think more and more teams are going with zone blocking schemes, which definitely requires more reads from the HB. Consider the fact that the Jets for 3 straight years now have buried their rookie RBs on the depth chart, specifically stating they want these guys to learn and develop before hitting the field. It's definitely a strange situation, but it seems to be increasingly more common. Or maybe the RB talent in these past few drafts just haven't been up to par, who knows.

Well you've made me feel a hell of alot better about it lol.

Archived