Lions D-Line rush

Jetsin1999

After watching last nights Lions-Pats game. I am wishing we had the rush the Lions have. So far this preseason we have no D-line rush at all. Same as last year. Can blitzing DB's be the answer to get a rush for ever? How long till other teams figure out how to coutner that sort of rush.

Mo Wilkerson has been a non-factor so far. Who else do we turn to as DE?

2 different types of defenses. Our rush comes from linebackers and blitzing safties not the DL whos job is to occupy blockers and push forward to free up other players. If we had 4 huge guys playing in a front 4 designed to rush the passer with various stunts you might see alot more pressure from those guys. In our system 5-7 sacks is a good year for a DLman 7-10 is a great year. Our defense will be just fine and we will create pressure on the QB no matter what. While we may not get the league lead in sacks I guarantee you we will lead the league in hurrying up QB's and QB pressures. There is a reason QB's struggle vs the Jets, last year in the playoffs we shut down 2 HOF QB's :)

After watching last nights Lions-Pats game. I am wishing we had the rush the Lions have. So far this preseason we have no D-line rush at all. Same as last year. Can blitzing DB's be the answer to get a rush for ever? How long till other teams figure out how to coutner that sort of rush.

Mo Wilkerson has been a non-factor so far. Who else do we turn to as DE?

I'm a big fan of writing off rookies after their 2nd preseason game. I hear Trevor Pryce is available.

The Lions run a 4-3 defense. The Jets run a 3-4 defense. Enough said.

On a side note, the last time I checked, the Jets defense finished 1st in 09 and 4th last season... The Lions? Not so much. It's also asinine to write off a 1st round rookie defensive end all because of two preseason games. Preseason games where he's held his own at that.

Also, if the Lions have such an amazing pass rush, then please explain as to why the Lions ranked 21st in yards allowed last season (Jets ranked 3rd) and 19th in points allowed (jets ranked 6th). Yeah, the Lions put up 4 more sacks than the Jets... Big deal. But how can you say they have a "better pass rush" when compared to the Jets? Have you been watching the Lions play on Sundays... Instead of the Jets? Or, instead of watching teams such as the Patriots, Steelers, Colts etc etc out of the AFC... Have you been paying attention to that "Lions pass rush"?

Lets also stop acting like the Lions have a better pass rush than the Jets, all because of one little preseason game that you seen against the Patriots. Do you really feel, believe and/or expect that Rex Ryan is going to show the league our defensive playbook during meaningless preseason games? I guess you've never heard the term of 'keeping it vanilla'.

The notion that you can't win with coverage is nonsense, and Rex has exposed that lie time and time again. Yet every week we hear, you can only play coverage so long before good quarterbacks will beat you. Really? Anyone see the Jets/Pats or Jets/Colts playoff matchups? Those were two good QBs.

Just because no one can do it as good as us doesn't mean it can't be done. We've done it for 2 years now and counting. God help the NFL if the Jets ever add pass rush to their coverage, we will be over and above 1985 Bears status.

The notion that you can't win with coverage is nonsense, and Rex has exposed that lie time and time again. Yet every week we hear, you can only play coverage so long before good quarterbacks will beat you. Really? Anyone see the Jets/Pats or Jets/Colts playoff matchups? Those were two good QBs.

Just because no one can do it as good as us doesn't mean it can't be done. We've done it for 2 years now and counting. God help the NFL if the Jets ever add pass rush to their coverage, we will be over and above 1985 Bears status.

True, though the key to a coverage D has always been bs. The 1981 49ers D ended up working around a very talented young secondary with three rookies (Lott, Wright, Williamson). They had Board as a good pass rusher for a few years, but wouldn't have a marquee guy until they drafted Haley in 1986.

Coverage D's are just more subtle than most people watching football expect or want to see.

The Lions run a 4-3 defense. The Jets run a 3-4 defense. Enough said.

On a side note, the last time I checked, the Jets defense finished 1st in 09 and 4th last season... The Lions? Not so much. It's also asinine to write off a 1st round rookie defensive end all because of two preseason games. Preseason games where he's held his own at that.

Also, if the Lions have such an amazing pass rush, then please explain as to why the Lions ranked 21st in yards allowed last season (Jets ranked 3rd) and 19th in points allowed (jets ranked 6th). Yeah, the Lions put up 4 more sacks than the Jets... Big deal. But how can you say they have a "better pass rush" when compared to the Jets? Have you been watching the Lions play on Sundays... Instead of the Jets? Or, instead of watching teams such as the Patriots, Steelers, Colts etc etc out of the AFC... Have you been paying attention to that "Lions pass rush"?

Lets also stop acting like the Lions have a better pass rush than the Jets, all because of one little preseason game that you seen against the Patriots. Do you really feel, believe and/or expect that Rex Ryan is going to show the league our defensive playbook during meaningless preseason games? I guess you've never heard the term of 'keeping it vanilla'.

Let's be honest here. The Lions have a better pass rush. not a better defense, a better pass rush. Suh is an animal. We all knew he'd be a force and he's proven us right. The Jets have a better defense because we have Revis and Cro and harris. Our DL and OLB's are pedestrian. But Rex Ryan knows how to overcome a pedeswtrian pass-rush. He's the best defensive mind in the league. This defense could certainly benefit from a big pass rusher or two. It would mean sacks and interceptions galore considering our defensive backfield. It would mean less dependence on safeties and linebackers covering for 3-4 seconds. It would be awesome. But we couldn't afford a monster up front, Harris, revis and Scott. It's just the reality of the league right now. Given my druthers, we'd have drafted a beast pass rusher--but we have the next best thing. A solid DL, better than average LB, better than average corners, good enough safeties, and Rex Ryan. I'll take it.

Archived