Wayne Hunter Has To Go

SoFlaJets

They did have Vlad out there at RT when Brunnell was in I think anyway. This is two REALLY bad games in a row. Maybe Ducasse does get a shot this year-he certainly has a bigger upside than a guy in his 8th year getting turned around the way we saw Hunter yesterday.

They gave Hunter an extension because from the very beginning Vlad was projected as a guard, notwithstanding his college position.

Vlad was never projected as a guard. If he was why isn't there another OT on the team? Your saying they went into the season with only two tackles.

They gave Hunter an extension because from the very beginning Vlad was projected as a guard, notwithstanding his college position.

What makes you think that? Other than the fact that he competed for Slauson's job and internet chatter, what makes you think he'll be a guard? If Vlad is a guard wouldn't they have brought in a better tackle? Or two tackles?

Then why don't the Jets have any other backup tackles on the roster?

They would've liked for Vlad to play guard last year in preparation to move to tackle this year. He's behind, but he shouldn't be counted out.

Exactly. The Jets lost Turner and promptly went out and signed a guard and a center on cutdown day. They didn't add any tackles. I think Vlad was ****ed over by the lack of camp, exacerbated by the injuries to Moore and Turner. That kept him from concentrating on tackle.

The one thing I will say against Vlad is that from what I have heard tackle is much simpler than guard in this system. Physically we all think of tackle as a more demanding position, but in this blocking system they say that schemes are much more difficult for guards. They may be trying to simplify things by keeping him at tackle which might be a sign that they don't like what they've seen at all

Vlad was never projected as a guard. If he was why isn't there another OT on the team? Your saying they went into the season with only two tackles.

When he was drafted his draft profile described as a "long term project" and went on to add: (1) he was clearly projected as a G, not an NFL T; plus (2) he would be given an immediate opportunity to replace Faneca. We know what happened with that.

Because he has played T, he is a last resort fall-back. The fact that he couldn't beat out Hunter, shows where he is currently at. Hell, he couldn't beat out Slauson at a far less challenging and less critical position. What does that tell you? No way in hell is he a viable replacement for Hunter at this point.

When he was drafted his draft profile described as a "long term project" and went on to add: (1) he was clearly projected as a G, not an NFL T; plus (2) he would be given an immediate opportunity to replace Faneca. We know what happened with that.

Because he has played T, he is a last resort fall-back. The fact that he couldn't beat out Hunter, shows where he is currently at. Hell, he couldn't beat out Slauson at a far less challenging and less critical position. What does that tell you? No way in hell is he a viable replacement for Hunter at this point.

I NEVER read that he was "clearly projected as a G". I read that he was a project that might be able to provide quicker dividends at guard than tackle. I believe that most reports said he had physical traits of a prototypical tackle and I believe they constantly mentioned his long arms. As I said, guard may actually be more challenging in this system. One thing we agree on is that, as of today, he doesn't seem to be a viable replacement for Hunter. He's the only replacement, but probably not viable.

Famous last words.

I'm more worried about the lack of push in the running game. It took Hunter some time to settle in last year. Moore being out all of camp couldn't have helped. He has been getting beaten but not destroyed and I think when he and Sanchez get a feel for the pocket. I don't like what I have seen, but I have some hope.

Your right, Hunter has been getting beaten... its Sanchez who is getting destroyed.

FWIW I went back and checked draft reports. Several said what Il Mostro claimed, that he projects to guard because he is bad in space and good in a crowd. OTOH, several said that he could translate to LT in the pros, that he has prototypical tackle size, skills and abilities. At least one compared him to Roos as an LT prospect.

Cowboys cut a RT and a G before the season, I've got to look up their names, but they can't be worse than Hunter has been.

Yes they can. There is a reason Romo didn't finish the season and the improvements they kept got his ribs broken this week. I thought they cut a center and not a guard?

SFJ, I think you're right. It should be Colombo and IIRC he has physical problems - back and such - and hasn't aged well. The Jets actually tried to sign him the year before they got Woody.

wasn't that the disaster that is Marc Columbo in Miami?

FWIW I went back and checked draft reports. Several said what Il Mostro claimed, that he projects to guard because he is bad in space and good in a crowd. OTOH, several said that he could translate to LT in the pros, that he has prototypical tackle size, skills and abilities. At least one compared him to Roos as an LT prospect.

Yes they can. There is a reason Romo didn't finish the season and the improvements they kept got his ribs broken this week. I thought they cut a center and not a guard?

SFJ, I think you're right. It should be Colombo and IIRC he has physical problems - back and such - and hasn't aged well. The Jets actually tried to sign him the year before they got Woody.

Agree about Colombo, but he's not who I was thinking of. I was thinking of Leonard Davis, who I thought was a cap-related cut for them and not a performance cut.

I have no idea if he signed elsewhere, but I doubt he's as bad as Hunter. Hunter was all sorts of turned around yesterday...

Agree about Colombo, but he's not who I was thinking of. I was thinking of Leonard Davis, who I thought was a cap-related cut for them and not a performance cut.

I have no idea if he signed elsewhere, but I doubt he's as bad as Hunter. Hunter was all sorts of turned around yesterday...

Davis was plenty horrible at tackle. He was the guard you were talking about. Remember the powerhouse offensive line of the Cardinals in the early 2000s? You know the three yards per carry Marcel Shipp, Emmitt Smith, Josh McCown Cardinals? The Cowboys moved him to guard and put him next to some good players and he flourished. Even when he is going good, he is one of the most penalized players in the league and I think he is way out of shape. At 33 that probably means he is done. I would take my chances with Ducasse before I signed that tub of goo.

Davis was plenty horrible at tackle. He was the guard you were talking about. Remember the powerhouse offensive line of the Cardinals in the early 2000s? You know the three yards per carry Marcel Shipp, Emmitt Smith, Josh McCown Cardinals? The Cowboys moved him to guard and put him next to some good players and he flourished. Even when he is going good, he is one of the most penalized players in the league and I think he is way out of shape. At 33 that probably means he is done. I would take my chances with Ducasse before I signed that tub of goo.

Mmm... gotcha.

Ducasse might get a shot by default if this keeps up. Not sure he can be worse than what we've seen from Hunter so far.

Mmm... gotcha.

Ducasse might get a shot by default if this keeps up. Not sure he can be worse than what we've seen from Hunter so far.

The way Ducasse and Hunter have looked this summer I don't blame anybody for wanting to look elsewhere. The thing is, if you have been watching the other games, plenty of starting linemen are having a ton of trouble. Guys on good teams are getting run over. We aren't used to it and it's a dangerous game, but Vick and Ryan were getting dumped like that all night. So has Romo. Neither guy has looked good for the Jets, but if there was anybody better out there they probably would have been picked up already.

Archived