Can someone who understands football explain why we didnt kick the field goal?

Matt39

You kick the 3 and come away with points.

The risk of getting nothing when you need 2 scores is too high.

Maybe this will help: 2 pt. conversion + drive about 20 yards for a 40-50 yard field goal

Or,

Chip shot field goal + 60 yards for a touchdown with less than a minute and no time outs?

Do the math. It's simple, you always go for the "2 pt. conversion" there. It's the right call every time.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this will help: 2 pt. conversion + drive about 20 yards for a 40-50 yard field goal

Or,

Chip shot field goal + 60 yards for a touchdown with less than a minute and no time outs?

Do the math. It's simple, you always go for the "2 pt. conversion" there. It's the right call every time.

This is what I was saying. Recovering an onside kick is a constant no matter what the decision. So IF an onside kick was recovered, there was only 1 way to generate any realistic chance of tying the game and that was, with about 30-40 seconds and no timeouts, trying for a short TD and a long FG rather than trying for a short FG and a long TD.

you need 2 scores. you're on the 8 yard line or whatever it was. you need to score, recover an onsides, score again, with no timeouts.

you have better odds scoring from the 8 than from your own 45 with what 30 seconds and no time outs. I'd rather have to set up a long FG than a hail mary pass

and no I don't claim to know football, just how I see it

I think the no time outs is what did it. they would have blown an additioal 15 to 20 seconds getting on the field and kicking. That would have left no time for a TD drive. If they recovered the onside. Scoring in 5 seconds was the better decision.

going for it a much, much, much, infinitesimally longer shot. FG from there basically 100% chance to get you to step 2: on-sides kick. Going for it on 4th fails at least half the time.

That's false, considering how much time will be taken off the clock with a FG attempt, plus the onsides kick. No chance we have the time to run the whole field again, barring some crazy last second 50 yard play. Your argument ignores both distance and time. Schotty's clock management has been terrible. When we were down 2 TDs with 11 minutes to go, we should have been trying to save the clock, but instead we blow our load on run plays and pretty much go three and out instead of passing on a 1st and 20 to keep the clock not moving. Had we done this and gone 3 and out, at least we would have had another minute on the clock by the time Sanchez was deep in the red zone. Then we could have kicked the FG, but with the time remaining it was a MUCH longer shot. It's not just about getting to step 2. It's about getting to step 3, which is score again. Your scenerio only accounts for getting to step 2, but from 2 to 3 is near impossible going the entire length of the field with no timeouts and 20 seconds left. I also didn't help that ehe defense let them score another field goal in between possessions. If you score (which we were 1/2 yard away from doing), we get to step 2, and only have to move the ball 20-30 yards to get in FG range. Much easier and much more likely, plus we almost pulled it off.

That's false, considering how much time will be taken off the clock with a FG attempt, plus the onsides kick. No chance we have the time to run the whole field again, barring some crazy last second 50 yard play. Your argument ignores both distance and time. Schotty's clock management has been terrible. When we were down 2 TDs with 11 minutes to go, we should have been trying to save the clock, but instead we blow our load on run plays and pretty much go three and out instead of passing on a 1st and 20 to keep the clock not moving. Had we done this and gone 3 and out, at least we would have had another minute on the clock by the time Sanchez was deep in the red zone. Then we could have kicked the FG, but with the time remaining it was a MUCH longer shot. It's not just about getting to step 2. It's about getting to step 3, which is score again. Your scenerio only accounts for getting to step 2, but from 2 to 3 is near impossible going the entire length of the field with no timeouts and 20 seconds left. I also didn't help that ehe defense let them score another field goal in between possessions. If you score (which we were 1/2 yard away from doing), we get to step 2, and only have to move the ball 20-30 yards to get in FG range. Much easier and much more likely, plus we almost pulled it off.

+1

Know how many successful Hail Mary passes there have been in NFL history? Hardly any.

http://en.wikipedia....sional_football

respect your right to disagree and your professional debate but we missed it and the game was over. rather have a hail mary then watching the V formation from the other side.

respect your right to disagree and your professional debate but we missed it and the game was over. rather have a hail mary then watching the V formation from the other side.

You have the right to feel that way, but the only important thing is winning the game. I honestly don't feel that kicking fg first from that close gives us a better chance. I'm not really interested in helping the network ratings by extending the game another few minutes.

Also, sticking the Raiders with the ball at the 1 or 2 doesn't mean the game is over. They can't kneel down since they will be in the end zone. A safety meant the Jets get the ball with the chance of a TD & 2 point conversion to tie.

Archived