Jets use practice buzzers to help offense

Steveg

Rex Ryan integrated an old Bill Parcells trick into practice this week in order to help his offense sync up.

The team installed buzzers which blare during plays after a set amount of time, forcing the quarterback to get rid of the ball. But, as Ryan said, it also had some beneficial trickle-down effects:

"You give them a certain time and that challenges really your whole team," Ryan said. "The offensive line's gotta protect, the receivers have to run their routes at this kind of speed and the quarterback has to get rid of the football.

"It just puts a little thing in their head and I'll be honest with you, their tempo was great. I started off, I had (quarterbacks coach) Matt Cavanaugh go over every single pass and say 'OK, this needs to be out in two seconds, three seconds, four seconds, whatever it was that started that way.

"And by the time practice was over we'd already trimmed a second off each one. That ball was coming out quick, routes were great and full speed and I think it added for our practice."

Archived