Stay Classy, San Diego

stoicsentry

Rex is the best!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/24/rex-stay-classy-san-diego/

As the Chargers attempted to move on from their 27-21 loss against the New York Jets, Rex Ryan had one more verbal volley on Monday.

The Jets coach was asked in a news conference about Chargers tight end Randy McMichael’s contention that the Chargers beat themselves and insinuation that the Jets’ secondary didn’t have anything to do with the Chargers being unable to put away an 11-point halftime lead. In response, Ryan borrowed from the movie “Anchorman” and main character Ron Burgundy’s signature line.

Said Ryan: “Stay classy, San Diego.”

A short while later in San Diego, Chargers head coach Norv Turner was emphatic in praise of the Jets.

“It’s so emotional after a loss, and certainly if you just break it down and say, ‘We threw two interceptions in the second half, we had the pass interference calls,’ then I think that’s probably what Randy was alluding to,” Turner said.

“You know, going in to New York, you play a team like the New York Jets, they’re a talented football team in all three phases, and you’ve got to go have great effort, which our guys did. You’ve got to execute at a high level, which we did a lot of the time -- not as often as we needed to -- and then you’ve got to have a little bit of luck along the way. Our guys gave an unbelievable effort. … We, again, we’re in a position where we had a chance to finish the game and we didn’t.”

McMichael had been emotional in the MetLife Stadium locker room.

“We had them down and took our foot off the gas,” he said. “I’m not giving credit to anybody. This is our fault. Nothing to do with the play calling … Their secondary isn’t anything. It’s our fault. The guys in this locker room, we lost the game.

“The San Diego Chargers beat the San Diego Chargers. Nothing to do with the New York Jets. It’s embarrassing.”

As you might expect, the Jets didn't take too kindly to McMichael's suggestion, especially former Charger Antonio Cromartie.

"When you're up by 11 points in the fourth quarter, and you can't even finish the game up, that shows what kind of team you are: a team that can't finish," Cromartie told The (Newark) Star-Ledger. "And that’s been San Diego the whole time. There it is."

Said safety Jim Leonhard: "Absolutely (it's a shot at us) whenever a team says that. He'll have fun watching the film today, we'll just say that. He didn't really do a whole lot yesterday. He'll have fun."

Darrelle Revis pretended not to know McMichael's name and added, "Whatever he's talking about is bogus."

Both Turner and quarterback Philip Rivers suggested frustration in the immediate aftermath of the Chargers having failed to score in the second half, including on a frenetic final drive, fueled McMichael.

“I think anytime you’re up 21-10 at halftime and you lose, you certainly, you feel like, you know, we let it get away from us,” Rivers said. “The Jets had something to do with causing it to get away from us, certainly. Referencing Randy’s comments -- and I’m not speaking for Randy -- Randy hates to lose like all of us do in that locker room, and there’s not anybody that cares any more than he does.

"I think that’s how you want, you want the 46 guys, you want everybody in that locker room that had a hand in it, everybody (that) played a part in it, to feel like ‘Hey, we could have changed the outcome.’ You never want to say, ‘Hey, they beat us.’ You always want to feel like, ‘Hey, if we’d have done this, we’d have won the game.’ And that’s the case in most every game, but certainly the opponent has something to do with it.”

Asked about the context of his quotes later, McMichael acknowledged he was "very upset, very frustrated" but remained resolute.

"I never rescind anything I say," he said. "If I said it, I mean it."

We did get lucky, but you could say that about every game. it was lucky that we got a 6'5" burress on the team. it was lucky we got revis in the draft and he turned out to be the best cb in the league. it was lucky that san diego can't finish games.

Also lucky that Herman Edwards ran the end of game offense for the Chargers. I was cracking up in the chat watching the Chargers change formations and not spike the ball. They passed the ball four yards at a time and landed in bounds without a timeout. Not to mention Rivers airmailing the ball out of bounds on 4th down. It was just a comedy of errors.

Not for nothing but didn't Sanchez throw a TD to Holmes that was called back by an unlikely Mangold penalty which was immediately followed by a pick? It goes both ways man. How about the miracle TD which was stripped from Keller's hands? Taking nothing away from those plays. It's a football game. The team with less mistakes usually wins. To imply that there were only mistakes by the Chargers and that they "gave" the game away is ridiculous. We tried just as hard to give the game away as they did :D

Bottom line is we held the SD juggernaut offense to 14 points. say whatever you want.

Not for nothing but didn't Sanchez throw a TD to Holmes that was called back by an unlikely Mangold penalty which was immediately followed by a pick? It goes both ways man. How about the miracle TD which was stripped from Keller's hands? Taking nothing away from those plays. It's a football game. The team with less mistakes usually wins. To imply that there were only mistakes by the Chargers and that they "gave" the game away is ridiculous. We tried just as hard to give the game away as they did :D

Bottom line is we held the SD juggernaut offense to 14 points. say whatever you want.

I totally agree, they make it sound as if jets all the breaks. Yer that first touchdown by the chargers was 1 of the freakiest plays you will ever see.

They also that a huge break on a jim leonhard pass interference call.

I totally agree, they make it sound as if jets all the breaks. Yer that first touchdown by the chargers was 1 of the freakiest plays you will ever see.

It's pure silliness. They got beat and beat soundly in the second half. That's the fact Jack!

There were plenty of bad calls to go around...They missed 1 delay of game against SD, play clock was on 0 and no flag was thrown

SD has always been soft when it matters most...very good above average offense, good defense, piss poor coaching. And if it means anything, didn't we go to SD in the playoffs twice in recent history and beat them down?...Yeah I thought so.

There were plenty of bad calls to go around...They missed 1 delay of game against SD, play clock was on 0 and no flag was thrown

Yeah that was a big play as well. My section was going nuts. We play clock is in our direct line....definitely thought they missed that one.

Yeah that was a big play as well. My section was going nuts. We play clock is in our direct line....definitely thought they missed that one.

It was a poorly officiated game. Half the penalities they called were ticky tack b.s. that you never see called. A holding on punt that wasnt returned? I've seriously never seen that before.

GFY San Diego.

It was a poorly officiated game. Half the penalities they called were ticky tack b.s. that you never see called. A holding on punt that wasnt returned? I've seriously never seen that before.

GFY San Diego.

JIF please stay classy lol........

Also lucky that Herman Edwards ran the end of game offense for the Chargers. I was cracking up in the chat watching the Chargers change formations and not spike the ball. They passed the ball four yards at a time and landed in bounds without a timeout. Not to mention Rivers airmailing the ball out of bounds on 4th down. It was just a comedy of errors.

Ive always considered Norv Turner the white Herman Edwards. never expected him to actually act like it.

Archived