Sanchez - would you have taken this before season....

aec4

Jets D and ST have scored 3TDs (21 points over 8 games = 2.5 points per game) so the Jets O is scoring only 17.5 ppg. That's not good enough to win. But the O is getting better.

This, and there's a lot more to it.

Defensively, the Jets are 13th in average starting field position, 7th in yards/drive, and 5th in points/drive.

The Jets lead the league in takeaways and KOR average.

Offensively, they're 5th in the league in average starting field position, and 18th in points per drive. Think about that. They're #5 in the league in the place where they get to start with the ball offensively, and only 18th in points per drive. They're 29th in average yards per drive. That's crap.

In other words, the Jets offense gets a lot of help from the other units on the team, and then does very little with those opportunities. I put a lot of that on the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. It's certainly not all Mark's fault.

The problem with Sanchez isn't that he's inconsistent. It's that he sucks deep, sucks outside the numbers, and makes lots of huge mistakes.

As does Brady.

Not that it matters-But the only QB that consistently throws the ball well deep and outside the numbers is Rodgers. Maybe Cutler because of his arm strength. And probably Eli.

The weaknesses of Sanchez are pretty much the same as every other ok to mediocre QB in the league.

This, and there's a lot more to it.

Defensively, the Jets are 13th in average starting field position, 7th in yards/drive, and 5th in points/drive.

The Jets lead the league in takeaways and KOR average.

Offensively, they're 5th in the league in average starting field position, and 18th in points per drive. Think about that. They're #5 in the league in the place where they get to start with the ball offensively, and only 18th in points per drive. They're 29th in average yards per drive. That's crap.

In other words, the Jets offense gets a lot of help from the other units on the team, and then does very little with those opportunities. I put a lot of that on the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. It's certainly not all Mark's fault.

Great post and exactly what i was trying to get at yesterday. Unless our defense and special teams are stellar our offense sh*ts the bed. Blame schotty, blame Sanchez, blame whoever. They both contribute. Schotty can;t take a snap for him.

As does Brady.

Not that it matters-But the only QB that consistently throws the ball well deep and outside the numbers is Rodgers. Maybe Cutler because of his arm strength. And probably Eli.

The weaknesses of Sanchez are pretty much the same as every other ok to mediocre QB in the league.

Agreed, it is what it is.

As does Brady.

I think your list is a tad short. There are a number of other QB's who throw the ball better than just being accurate on short passes.

Brees

Roethlisberger

Romo

Flacco

Ryan (even with his anti-cannon he throws deep ones right on the money)

Vick

and obviously Peyton when he's not injured

A few like Rivers and Schaub and Stafford I think get a lot of help from their considerably ridiculous targets more than I see them making "wow" throws.

I haven't formed much of an opinion on the deep middle or deep out ability younger or inexperienced guys like McCoy, Dalton, Newton and even Kolb. Also will hold judgment on Carson Palmer II but haven't been impressed with Carson Palmer I for some time.

And I don't fault Sanchez for not being amazingly accurate on those tougher passes and am ok with him just having enough arm to make those passes. I'll gladly take a deadly-accurate short/intermediate passer who knows where the open man is, and who is a true threat deep middle and intermediate/deep out - enough that the defense has to respect those routes - even if he's not the most accurate there. IMO that's what someone like Brady is (or was, anyway). He's not Jay Cutler in terms of arm strength, but IMO Sanchez has plenty of enough arm that he's a true threat to complete passes anywhere on the field.

I do fault him for his short and intermediate passes to wide-open receivers that require in-air acrobatics, adjustments, and diving; I fault him for his lack of ability to see more than his primary target; and I fault him for his lack of awareness when his protection isn't there and his jumpy feet when he has a good pocket. He doesn't exactly have the quickest release in the league either. Now those things can all improve with time, including the accuracy, but they're a hell of a lot more tolerable when you know deep down that the rest of the team isn't up to snuff anyway.

Sperm, other than maybe Ben(he's just so unconventional its tough to tell) and yeah definitely Flacco I dont think anyone else really has the wow arm. What separates Brees and Brady is their fantastic accuracy on the short to mid range throws. Neither has the arm strength to consistently hit the deep outs against defenses like the Jets. Sanchez has a better arm than Rivers.

Brady has never thrown a greet deep ball.

Sanchez obviously needs to improve the midrange accuracy. He'll never be able to throw the deep out regularly, but not many QB's can.

Those who say Sanchez isn't improving, please cite some statistics. Almost every stat I've seen is an improvement over last year, just as almost every stat last year was an improvement over the year before.

I understand the desire to have him finish developing overnight but it's not realistic. Look at Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, all those lauded young QB's - he has different strengths and weaknesses, but he's definitely on the level of all of them this year.

Sperm, other than maybe Ben(he's just so unconventional its tough to tell) and yeah definitely Flacco I dont think anyone else really has the wow arm. What separates Brees and Brady is their fantastic accuracy on the short to mid range throws. Neither has the arm strength to consistently hit the deep outs against defenses like the Jets. Sanchez has a better arm than Rivers.

Brady has never thrown a greet deep ball.

Sanchez obviously needs to improve the midrange accuracy. He'll never be able to throw the deep out regularly, but not many QB's can.

Wow arm and throwing a nice deep ball aren't necessarily the same thing. Ryan throws a nice, accurate deep ball and his has a (pre-surgery) Pennington arm. And Brees airs it out - accurately - all over the field so I don't agree that he's just a short passer. Vick has a wow arm. Hell, the guy flicks his wrist and the ball travels 20 yards on an almost-rope. Wow arm is nice but hardly necessary. Jamarcus Russell had a wow arm. He used it to stuff food into his mouth and grew a wow gut. Ditto Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, and many others.

Sanchez has plenty enough arm strength. As I said, I'm happy with him being able to make those deep out throws without pinpoint accuracy as long as he's a threat to actually complete that pass without the receiver being uncovered, which he's able to do. No need to repeat areas he's not only lacking in, but isn't making any improvements in.

What is silly to me is when some point to snapshots in time where he isn't doing as badly as QB's - like Brady, mentioned here - who have earned a benefit of the doubt that Sanchez hasn't.

Of all the things Sanchez's critics have harped on, I don't recall his arm strength being in the top 10. Nor should it be as his arm is plenty strong enough to be elite; it's other parts of his game that are preventing him from being so.

That isn't being objective, though. You're taking snapshots of time that you wouldn't have taken at other times, and then removing his worst game without removing his best game and assigning a year pace to him based on those fictitious numbers.

Watch me do it. Forget only 8 games; through the first half plus 3 more games -- through 11 games last year (at which point we were 9-2):

185/336 (55%), 15 TD's, 7 INT's, 82.8 rating

He was on pace for 3354 yds, 24 TD's, 11 INT's. Didn't end up that way, though, did it?

Now take away his worst game (Green Bay) and his 16-game pace jumps to:

270/477, 3280 yards (57%), 24 TD's, 8 INT"s.

It's a fun game to play, but it has no basis in reality.

I have no idea how I wasn't being objective. I took out 1 stinker to show the other 7 games were pretty good. Now the stinker counts, don't get me wrong but it shows his potential is there.

Archived