Jets News 12-2

flgreen

Tomlinson ready for stretch run

December, 1, 2011

Dec 1

5:41

PM ET

By James Walker

nyj.gifNew York Jets (6-5) running back LaDainian Tomlinson (knee) returned to practice Thursday. He missed the previous two weeks with a knee injury, but expects to play Sunday in a must-win game against the Washington Redskins (4-7).

"It felt good running around and cutting," Tomlinson told reporters. "I really pushed myself to see where I really was, and I was happy with the way I responded. It wasn’t too sore, it didn't swell up at all, so that let me know that I'm ready to go."

Tomlinson says he feels fresh for the stretch run, which is good news for the Jets. Starting running back Shonn Greene has been banged up, and the team is still learning to trust inexperienced backup Joe McKnight.

A healthy Tomlinson will be a much-needed addition to New York's backfield. He only has 46 carries this season, which is a career-low.

"That was pretty much the gameplan for the year, to keep me fresh and down the stretch possibly increase my workload," Tomlinson said. "So I am fresh and feeling good, so the coaches have that option, if they want to use me more."

The Jets have little margin for error. They are behind teams such as the Cincinnati Bengals (7-4) and Denver Broncos (6-5) for the final wild-card spot in the AFC.

Schotty on LT: 'He'll Definitely Be Involved'

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 15 hours ago

After missing two games with a knee injury, it’s all systems go for RB LaDainian Tomlinsonicon-article-link.gif on Sunday. He has been a full participant in this week’s practices, and he says he feels fresh and ready to return to the field in Washington.

“That was pretty much the game plan for the year was to keep me fresh and, down the stretch, possibly increase my workload,” said Tomlinson. “I’m feeling good, and the coaches have that option if they want to use me more.”

Before suffering the knee injury, Tomlinson had been playing less than he ever had during his 11-year career. He has only 71 total touches on the season, on pace for 110. That is well off the pace of his yearly average of 368 touches per season.

Tomlinson’s former head coach in San Diego, Marty Schottenheimer, occasionally comes to the Jets facility to spend time with his son, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Recently, the elder Schottenheimer saw his former tailback and the two shared a laugh.

“Last week as I was in the training room, he said, ‘I’m sorry kid. I just wore you out when you were young,’ ” said Tomlinson. “I said, ‘Hey, Coach, I took it and I’m glad you gave me the ball.’”

Tomlinson’s extreme workload helped him sculpt a Hall of Fame-caliber career. And at age 32, he said he's never felt better at this stage of a season.

“I realize it when everyone is running slow and I’m still running fast,” Tomlinson joked. “Quite honestly, it’s more so how your body feels on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes you’re still sore. This year I don’t have anything going on.”

Brian Schottenheimer will be relieved to see LT return to the lineup Sunday and expects him to be his typical self.

He’s looked really good the last couple of days,” said Schottenheimer. “He’s excited, ready to go, and has had a good week of practice. He’ll definitely be involved, he’s always part of the plan, and we’re pleased with how he’s looked.”

Schottenheimer spent time on the coaching staff in San Diego working under his father for four years and saw first-hand just how often Tomlinson was used in the offense.

“One of the things everyone has said is, ‘Does he wear down?’ ” said Schottenheimer. “I think there are benefits of being out two games. He looks good. We have to get him the ball, get him involved.”

Having Tomlinson back on the field may be more than simply the return of the Jets’ third-down back. It could be the emergence of an essential weapon in an offense that hopes to make a final, strong playoff push.

“When I saw him in practice yesterday, I said, ‘Wow, he looks as fresh as could be,’ ” said head coach Rex Ryan. “That could be interesting to have a fresh LT for the rest of the season. It could be great for us.”

Pettine on Three of His Own

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine addressed the play of three of the impact players on his defense. Since joining the Jets in 2009, Pettine has been particularly impressed with the play of DT Sione Pouhaicon-article-link.gif.

“He’s been so quietly solid for us,” said Pettine. “I watched him when I first got here and I thought he had a chance. He was strong, smart and had good hands. He just had some technique issues.

From the first day, he’s been nothing but coachable, and he’s great with the young guys.”

One of those “young guys” that Pouha has helped mentor is first-year Jets LB Aaron Maybinicon-article-link.gif, who continues to impress Pettine and the staff.

“He’s learning more of it,” said Pettine. “What he brings is such great energy, passion and a great motor. He needed to learn the fine points of the defense. As with a lot of our guys, he’s going to earn playing time. We talk about playing like a Jet, and he embodies that.”

Earlier this season, Pettine spoke about CB Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif and his up-and-down performances. Today he said that Cro undeservedly gets the short end of the stick.

“It’s hard to play opposite Darrelle, because he’s going to get a lot of work,” said the coordinator.

“Something we’re concentrating on is consistency. When he makes a mistake, everybody knows it.

That’s the hard part about playing corner in this league.”

Redskins punter Rocca rolling

Jets Blog

By JOSEPH WHITE

Associated Press

Last Updated: 6:52 PM, December 1, 2011

Posted: 6:50 PM, December 1, 2011

ASHBURN, Va. -- Here’s one reason Sav Rocca could be the MVP of the Washington Redskins:

Thanks to him, they are no longer the NFL’s worst punting franchise of the millennium.

It says something when the punter is a team’s best player, but that’s been the growing consensus this season with the Redskins (4-7). While injuries and inconsistency abound throughout the roster,

Rocca’s rockets have become a reliable sight.

“His bad punts,” special teams coach Danny Smith said, “are what we used to consider good punts

here.”

It’s one roster move that seems to be working out. The Redskins entered the season having used 14 punters in regular season games since 1999 — not counting placekickers called into emergency duty. They went through three last season alone.

But the 38-year-old former Australian Rules football player has averaged 45.4 yards, enough to propel Washington to 31st in punting average since 2000, ahead of the Atlanta Falcons. Even better, his 41.2 net average ranks fourth in the NFL, and he’s tied for third with 21 punts inside the 20.

The big suspense was whether Rocca could make it through the entire season without a touchback. His bid ended when his 39-yarder found the end zone in the first quarter of Sunday’s 23-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks.

“I was (ticked) with that one on the weekend,” Rocca said. “It was all on me. It was a bad kick.”

Brad Maynard of the Cleveland Browns is now the only regular punter in the NFL without a touchback this season.

At 265 pounds — and used to contact from his Aussie Rules days — Rocca isn’t afraid to lay a lick on someone. His tackle of Arizona Cardinals return man Patrick Peterson in Week 2 is one of the Redskins’ special teams highlights of the season.

“If he has a punt he’s not proud of, he’ll go down there and make the tackle,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “Not too many guys cover who are 265.”

Rocca takes personally the challenge of stopping a good returner.

“My mindset going into any game is that I’m against the return man,” Rocca said. “You’re just trying to take them out of the game. Whether that’s (punting) out of bounds, whether that’s high and short and fair catches, it’ll all be mixed up.”

Rocca’s only noteworthy gaffe came in his alternate job as holder, when his bobbled snap led to a blocked field goal in the Week 3 one-point loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

So the debate continues as to whether Rocca might truly be the Redskins’ best player. Asked to weigh in, Shanahan dodged the question and instead gave MVP-level praise.

“He’s been consistent, and anytime you’ve got a guy that can turn the field consistently and kick inside the 20 as much as he has, you’ve got to take your hat off to him,” Shanahan said. “He’s playing at a Pro Bowl level. He’s doing a great job holding as well. I like what we’ve got. ... He’s as good as I’ve ever been around.”

FB Darrel Young remains sidelined from practice with a concussion. He will be tested Friday to gauge when he might return. ... S LaRon Landry (groin) and DE Stephen Bowen (knee) also did not practice Thursday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/redskins_punter_rocca_rolling_SHeQthpITjmnHElRp75r4H#ixzz1fO52T2ml

Jets' Mike Pettine says standards for CB Darrelle Revis are 'scary' high

Published: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 6:57 PM Updated: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 10:59 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Tweet

Share Email Print

10312039-large.jpgAndrew Mills/The Star-LedgerBills WR Stevie Johnson caught eight passes for 75 yards against the Jets.

The Buffalo Bills kept Darrelle Revis much busier than usual Sunday, throwing at the Jets cornerback 13 times. The yield was nine catches for 77 yards and a touchdown.

The standards for the All-Pro cornerback are near perfection, so anything else is news-making.

"It's scary because that kind of becomes expected," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "That's the norm, and when he actually does look like just a regular corner sometimes, people at first get taken aback. But it's going to happen. It's the NFL. You're going against good quarterbacks and receivers."

Eight of those catches for 75 yards were earned by Buffalo's Stevie Johnson, whom Pettine called a "vastly underrated receiver."

Pettine said Revis was "put in a bind" with some of the coverages used in the Jets' 28-24 win. Revis was often in zero coverage, with no safety help over the top, a situation designed to dare the Bills to throw to his side. The objective in those situations is not to give up a deep pass.

Pettine also said Johnson's 5-yard touchdown was not entirely on Revis. Revis backed up in off coverage before the snap, and Johnson ran a slant into the end zone.

"The one I think Darrelle got criticized a little bit for when you just look from a knee-jerk reaction is the slant that he gave up for the touchdown," Pettine said. "The way that call was set up us he should have had somebody sitting in the slant lane and did not. You look at it, it's glaring that it was on him, but he's supposed to be off and overplaying the outside, knowing that he's going to get some help from the inside."

It appeared as though LB David Harris was the player who could have been in position to cover the slant lane.

jets_logo.jpg

Pettine said anytime Revis gets a ball caught on him in practice, he's fired up for the next play. So it could be a long day for Washington Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman on Sunday.

"Again, we're talking about it like it was somehow a bad week," Pettine said. "By his ridiculously high standards, I guess you could make the argument that it was. But Darrelle Revis is the least of our worries, I think, heading down to Washington."

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Redskins DB DeAngelo Hall calls Mark Sanchez 'middle-of-the-pack,' says QB telegraphs passes

Published: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 5:28 PM Updated: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 10:53 PM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

9263309-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerRedskins DB DeAngelo Hall said Mark Sanchez is just 'middle-of-the-pack.'

Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez still telegraphs his passes, placing much of the onus on his wide receivers to move the football.

“He doesn’t take as many chances as much as he just gets confused some times,” Hall told The Washington Post. “A lot of times he just comes out and stares a receiver down, tries to throw him the ball. He puts it on those guys to make plays. They haven’t made as many plays this year as they have in previous years.”

This, along with the fact that Hall thinks Sanchez is still carving out his identity as a passer, leaves the DB to believe that they're not facing an elite-level quarterback.

“I’d say he’s middle-of-the-pack," Hall said. "Definitely not the worst in the league. He’s a capable quarterback. He’s taken them to a couple AFC Championships, so he definitely knows how to win the big games.”

Rex Ryan called Sunday's game the team's biggest pass-rushing challenge since the Baltimore debacle back in Week 4, which Hall thinks could turn into a big advantage for the Redskins. He pointed to the obvious notion that when the run game is taken away and Sanchez is pressured, he tends to struggle more.

“If you can discourage them from running the ball and try to attack the quarterback, he’s a young guy who’s still finding his way," Hall said. "He’s got a lot of talent, but if you can harass him and make him take it all on his shoulders, that’s your best chance to win.”

jets_logo.jpg

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer disagreed in part, saying that the film on Sanchez is misleading.

"I don't think so, I think obviously there's times where any quarterback, people are going to say they're staring down their receiver," he said. "I think you have to, the way DB's play in this league, you have to get your eyes over there at some point.

"But I wouldn't say that when we evaluate it that he's staring down receivers. We think that he's working through progressions. There's some decisions he'd like to have back, but I don't agree with that. I think maybe at times he'll lock on to one ..."

Schottenheimer referenced Sanchez's third-quarter touchdown pass to Dustin Keller as the perfect example.

"He was working Santonio on the front side, didn't like it, had to move and get his eyes right on No. 2 — made a great throw."

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Schotty: "I love it here"

December, 1, 2011

Dec 1

7:02

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Thursday is the day the Jets make the coordinators available, and so it was the first opportunity reporters had to ask offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about the contract extension he got during the offseason. He's signed through 2013.

“I think you guys all know that I love it here,” Schottenheimer said. “I love working for Rex (Ryan).

I’ve had some opportunities to go and look at other places. Some things have come my way, head-coaching wise, but I’m thrilled to be a Jet and I think we have something special here.”

Shottenheimer interviewed with the Ravens and the Dolphins and declined an interview with the Bills.

Plenty of Jets fans had mixed reactions to the news — obviously being diplomatic there — and Schottenheimer is aware that he and Sanchez sometimes draw criticism, for example the boos quarterback Mark Sanchez got during warmups.

Schottenheimer said he didn’t hear them, but allowed, “The one thing I’ve always said about the Jets fans, they’re passionate, and I love that.”

Coaching consultant Tom Moore was on hand at practice, and Schottenheimer said seemed upbeat, even though the fairly obvious reason is to fix some of the troubles the Jets have had on offense in the Sanchez era. Moore was the Colts offensive coordinator as the team developed and won a Super Bowl with quarterback Peyton Manning.

“Tom’s the best,” Schottenheimer said. “Tom might be the most positive person I’ve ever been around. I can’t remember, it was a couple of weeks ago, we lost to somebody and he sends me the fax, his summary of the game, and it was like, 'Positive this, positive that, positive.' I was like, 'Man, I can’t believe it. There’s that many positive things he took from it.' So, I’m thrilled he’s here, and it makes it easier to consult and be around him, and hopefully he stays for a while.”

Ryan said he was always looking for ways to get Moore more involved with the Jets, but that he wouldn’t be elevated from consultant to one of the titled coaches.

“His thing is, he’s retired,” Ryan said. “But we were fortunate enough to have him as a consultant. But it’s good to have him here. We’d like to have him here more.”

AND ON ANOTHER GOOD NOTE: Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine was reminded that it has been nearly a year to since a serious injury to Jets safety Jim Leonhard, who he has worked with since their days in Baltimore.

“I was surprised when we were coming off the lockout and (Jets trainer) John Mellody had said he’s going to have minimal restrictions” Pettine said. “That’s going from where he was, I was at the hospital, I saw the X-Ray. I saw the number of screws and all the hardware that was in his leg.

It’s amazing to me that he was able to be back so quickly, and once he got back it was just like,

‘Same old Jimmy.’ You didn’t really think that much of it. I know he wore a little shin guard-type thing on it for a while, and he couldn’t wait to take that off. So, it’s a credit to him, his work ethic and obviously our doctors and training staff that were on top of it.”

Holmes: Cook is in "better situation"

December, 1, 2011

Dec 1

4:32

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Emanuel Cook mystery, Day IV:

Cook is getting a lot of pub for a bottom-of-the-roster player, but it's always compelling stuff when a player gets cut for a non-performance-related reason.

On Thursday, special teams coach Mike Westhoff said Cook made "a great play" by recovering the Bills' botched squib kick, but he declined to shed any light on why he was released. Westhoff didn't want to talk about "what the problem was" or the "circumstances." He simply said Rex Ryan came to him and explained that they wanted to cut Cook.

WR Santonio Holmes said it was "a tough pill," adding this strange comment: "It's fortunate he's in a better situation now."

Cook is with the Ravens, who claimed him over waivers. Is that better than the Jets? Well, yeah, based on the standings.

On Monday, ESPNNewYork.com reported that Cook was released because of an incident that occurred Monday at practice. He slacked off in conditioning drills, angering team brass, sources said. But you have to figure there was more to it than that.

Redskins DB DeAngelo Hall calls Mark Sanchez 'middle-of-the-pack,' says QB telegraphs passes

Published: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 5:28 PM Updated: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 10:53 PM

8487074.pngBy Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Share Print

9263309-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerRedskins DB DeAngelo Hall said Mark Sanchez is just 'middle-of-the-pack.'

Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez still telegraphs his passes, placing much of the onus on his wide receivers to move the football.

“He doesn’t take as many chances as much as he just gets confused some times,” Hall told The Washington Post. “A lot of times he just comes out and stares a receiver down, tries to throw him the ball. He puts it on those guys to make plays. They haven’t made as many plays this year as they have in previous years.”

This, along with the fact that Hall thinks Sanchez is still carving out his identity as a passer, leaves the DB to believe that they're not facing an elite-level quarterback.

“I’d say he’s middle-of-the-pack," Hall said. "Definitely not the worst in the league. He’s a capable quarterback. He’s taken them to a couple AFC Championships, so he definitely knows how to win the big games.”

Rex Ryan called Sunday's game the team's biggest pass-rushing challenge since the Baltimore debacle back in Week 4, which Hall thinks could turn into a big advantage for the Redskins. He pointed to the obvious notion that when the run game is taken away and Sanchez is pressured, he tends to struggle more.

“If you can discourage them from running the ball and try to attack the quarterback, he’s a young guy who’s still finding his way," Hall said. "He’s got a lot of talent, but if you can harass him and make him take it all on his shoulders, that’s your best chance to win.”

jets_logo.jpg

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer disagreed in part, saying that the film on Sanchez is misleading.

"I don't think so, I think obviously there's times where any quarterback, people are going to say they're staring down their receiver," he said. "I think you have to, the way DB's play in this league, you have to get your eyes over there at some point.

"But I wouldn't say that when we evaluate it that he's staring down receivers. We think that he's working through progressions. There's some decisions he'd like to have back, but I don't agree with that. I think maybe at times he'll lock on to one ..."

Schottenheimer referenced Sanchez's third-quarter touchdown pass to Dustin Keller as the perfect example.

"He was working Santonio on the front side, didn't like it, had to move and get his eyes right on No. 2 — made a great throw."

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Well, there you have it. No defense respects Mark. And his own OC doesnt even recognize that he stares down his primary target.

Oh boy...

Santana Moss on Stevie Johnson: “That’s something he’ll look back on and wish he hadn’t done”

Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2011, 11:07 PM EST

stevejohnsonbuffalobillsvnewyorkjetsloswzykjbr0l-e1322798728411.jpg?w=236 Getty Images

Bills receiver Stevie Johnson had a big day on Sunday against Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis. But Johnson’s performance always will be remembered for a post-touchdown celebration that cost his team 15 yards of field position. After a botched kickoff gave the Jets a short field, Johnson’s touchdown quickly was matched.

The incident has prompted plenty of discussion this week, with much of it centering on the question of whether Johnson crossed a line by pretending to shoot himself in the leg. The bigger problem came when Johnson capped his celebration by falling and rolling on the turf, since two things can draw a penalty after a touchdown: (1) going to the ground; and (2) using a prop.

That’s the point NBC’s Bob Costas made during halftime of the Sunday night game between the Steelers and Chiefs. Celebrating is one thing; celebrating in a manner that harms the team’s interest is quite another.

Redskins receiver Santana Moss, whose touchdown celebrations routinely remain within the bounds of the rules, agrees.

“Some guys, that’s a part of their game,” Moss said of Johnson on Thursday’s PFT Live. “They look forward to those moments where they can really shine after they make a big play or score a big touchdown. You can’t really knock them for it. The only thing you can knock them for is losing those yards for your team. You’ve got to be smart at all given times when it comes to trying to win a game. You can’t hurt your team in that situation, and I think that’s something that he’ll look back on and wish he hadn’t done.”

It’s not unreasonable to expect a player to understand and respect the rules that apply to touchdowns. First, don’t go to the ground. Second, don’t use a prop.

In Johnson’s case, it possibly cost his team a victory, which in turn may have extended the team’s streak of non-playoff appearances to 12 years and counting. If players don’t heed these two simple rules, it could eventually cost a team a championship.

Indeed, that nearly happened in Super Bowl XLIII. After his game-winning touchdown reception for the ages, former Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes (the players whose “soar like a Jet” routine Johnson was mocking when falling to the ground) used the ball as a prop for a celebration that paid homage to LeBron James’ pregame talcum powder shower. Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira acknowledged that a penalty should have been called, which would have pushed the kickoff from the 30 to the 15, putting Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and receiver Larry Fitzgerald 15 yards closer to the end zone when they regained possession with 35 seconds to play.

When a penalty is called for a celebration that goes too far, the primary blame falls on the man who commits the violation of the rules. But it’s ultimately a failure of coaching. Of all the complex concepts and play calls and other information given to players, it’s critical to make certain that those who will be scoring touchdowns always remember two things.

First, don’t go to the ground. Second, don’t use a prop.

Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson looks healthy and fresh for Washington Redskins

Unlike past years, his workload has been light

BY Manish Mehta

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, December 1 2011, 11:37 PM

image.jpg

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

LaDainian Tomlinson (r.) looks to carry on for Jets and take some heat off the passing game as Mark Sanchez hopes to get Gang Green off and running vs. Redskins.

Rex Ryan preached a two-pronged philosophy to help the Jets find their way during a pivotal five-week stretch that will determine their playoff fate:

1. Run the football

2. Protect the quarterback

Ryan will get back an important piece to help on both fronts against the Redskins on Sunday when veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson returns from an MCL sprain that shelved him for two games. Tomlinson, the team’s best pass protector in the backfield, may also see an increased workload down the stretch. Tomlinson, who spent the better part of a decade carrying the load for the Chargers, is relatively fresh after assuming the Jets’ third-down role this season.

For a player who averaged 23.2 touches per game in the regular season for his first 10 years, Tomlinson has had a relatively light load so far, averaging 7.9 touches. His workload from a year ago has been significantly reduced. He has 71 touches through the team’s first 11 games, a 64% reduction from the 196 touches he had at this point last season.

“That was pretty much the game plan for the year … to keep me fresh (and) down the stretch possibly increase my workload,” Tomlinson said. “The coaches have that option if they want to use me more.”

Although Shonn Greene, who is playing with bruised ribs, remains the primary back, the 6-5 Jets may turn to Tomlinson more often.

“When I saw him (Wednesday) in practice, I was like, ‘Wow!’ He looked fresh as he could be,” Ryan said. “That could be interesting. Getting a fresh L.T. for the last part of the season will be great for us.”

Either way, the offense will look to avoid another sluggish start. Mark Sanchez & Co. have scored only 17 points all season in the first quarter, including none in the past four games.

“I think we’re all kind of just baffled by that,” Tomlinson said. “It’s a question none of us can really answer. . . . We know what we want to get accomplished, but it just never seems to happen for us at the beginning of the game.

“The key for us is making sure we don’t beat ourselves early,” Tomlinson added. “Don’t get behind early. As long as we’re in the game, you’ve seen we kind of get rolling.”

Offensive consultant Tom Moore, whose off-site duties from his home in South Carolina include self-scouting and advance opponent scouting, was at practice on Thursday to offer some tips to sharpen the inconsistent passing game. Moore was also at the Chargers game in October.

“We got him out of the house,” Ryan said. “I’d like to get him around here more and try to keep him here.”

The Jets will be facing their biggest pass protection challenge since the Ravens in Week 4. Led by outside linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan, who have combined for 12.5 sacks, the Redskins’ pass rush in their 3-4 scheme has been one of the few bright spots for a team that has lost six of seven games. Four Redskins players have combined for 22 sacks.

The Jets’ offensive line, tight ends and backs are coming off one of their best cumulative performances. Sanchez wasn’t sacked for the first time all season and was hit just once.

“I guess it was good protection,” right guard Brandon Moore said. “There’s always room for improvement. That’s what we come to work every day for. It was good last week. We’re trying to build consistency. That’s all we can do. . . . We have a certain standard and that’s what we try to live up to.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-running-back-ladainian-tomlinson-healthy-fresh-washington-redskins-article-1.985703#ixzz1fOA39xzJ

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan rushes to defense of his maligned 'D'

Says no defense is 'dominant' but his is 'pretty good'

BY Hank Gola

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, December 2 2011, 12:14 AM

image.jpg

Jack Dempsey/AP

Jamaal Westerman (l.), Bart Scott and Jets defense have had plenty of critics, but Rex Ryan isn't one of them.

The Jets defense may not be playing up to the standards of the last two seasons but Rex Ryan still says he wouldn’t trade it for any other.

“It’s hard to play 60 minutes of dominant football,” Ryan said Thursday. “That is the thing. There are times when you can dominate games, completely dominate and then that one drive gets you. That is exactly what happened in Denver. We totally dominated that game. Give up that one (final) drive and you’re just good enough to get beat.

“If you’re a truly dominant defense, you've got to close those things out,” he went on. “Are we a dominant defense? I don’t know. I don’t think there is a dominant defense in the league this year. Are we pretty good? I think we’re pretty good. I think we’re capable of better. That’s kind of how I feel on it.”

Going into Sunday’s game at Washington, the Jets are ranked eighth in the league in total defense but 16th against the run.

SQUIBBED OUT

Santonio Holmes had a curious answer when asked about the release of safety Emanuel Cook, his old friend from Florida.

“He’s fortunate he’s in a better situation now. Hopefully the Ravens use him to the best of his ability and he makes the best of his opportunity being a Raven,” Holmes said.

Cook was let go, reportedly for being late for and dogging it during a conditioning workout, although Ryan has been mum on the subject. Ironically, special teams coach Mike Westhoff praised Cox for making a “great” play on the Bills’ squib kickoff following the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Stevie Johnson last Sunday.

Westhoff said he saw the Bills special teams coach go up to coach Chan Gailey and make a motion. He then alerted his kick return team that a squib could be coming but he didn’t expect the ball being mis-kicked directly at Cook.

“Very rarely do you ever see when that happens that the ball doesn’t bounce right back to the kicker and they recover it. I’ve had it happen against me twice. It’s accidental. But Cook just made a great play and got the ball.”

Westhoff said Ryan consulted him before the move on Cook.

RECHARGED

One of the benefits of LaDainian Tomlinson missing the last two games is that he should be the freshest he’s ever been down the stretch. That never happened when he was with the Chargers, where Marty Schottenheimer, father of Jets offensive coordinator Brian, used him in a workhorse capacity.

“Marty comes around a lot and last week he said to me when I was in the training room, ‘I'm sorry kid. I wore you out when you were young,’ ” Tomlinson said, laughing. “I said, ‘Hey Coach, I took it and I’m glad you gave me the ball.’ ”

GET THE MESSAGE

“He doesn’t take as many chances as much as he just gets confused some times,” Hall said. “A lot of times he just comes out and stares a receiver down, tries to throw him the ball. He puts it on those guys to make plays. They haven’t made as many plays this year as they have in previous years.”

Brian Schottenheimer disputed Hall’s contention and praised Sanchez for a critical third-down completion Sunday to Plaxico Burress, who made a one-handed snag along the sideline. "It was an unbelievable job by both Mark and Plax,” he said. ... WR Jeremy Kerley, like Tomlinson, should return from a two-game absence due to an MCL sprain Sunday after experiencing no problems after another hard practice. The Jets will likely miss DE Mike DeVito (knee), who sat out another day.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-coach-rex-ryan-rushes-defense-maligned-article-1.985717#ixzz1fOB1Z6Vk

Jets notes: Defensive coordinator defends Darrelle Revis

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Record

Pettine defends Revis

If Darrelle Revis had covered Stevie Johnson in the same airtight way his coaches have defended him this week, the Bills' wideout probably would have been blanked Sunday.

The superstar cornerback had a rare subpar game against Johnson, who had eight receptions for 75 yards and one touchdown.

But Jets coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine believe the perception of Revis'

performance Sunday needs to be re-evaluated.

"The standards [for Revis] are so high," Pettine said, "so when he does give up a couple of completions, you're like, 'Wow, this guy is human.' … We're talking about it like it was somehow a bad week.

"By his ridiculously high standards I guess you could make the argument that it was, but Darrelle Revis is the least of our worries this week."

Pettine added that "some of the coverages we were in really put Darrelle in a bind," saying that Revis was supposed to have inside help on the slant that Johnson caught for a 5-yard touchdown in the second quarter. That help never materialized.

More Cook fallout

WR Santonio Holmes was asked Thursday about the release of S Emanuel Cook, surprisingly waived Monday after making a key recovery of a botched Buffalo squib kick the day before. Cook was claimed by Baltimore on Tuesday.

"He's fortunate that he's in a better situation now," Holmes said, adding, "hopefully the Ravens use him to the best of his ability."

Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said he was consulted by Ryan before the move was made, but added, "I don't want to go into the details of all that stuff. … That's one of those business things. Things take place in organizations for lots of reasons, and we have to live with them and move on."

Ryan has declined to explain the move to reporters. Rookie S Tracy Wilson has taken Cook's roster spot, although it's unclear if he will be active Sunday at Washington.

—J.P. Pelzman

Jets consultant Moore gets live look at struggling offense

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:35 AM, December 2, 2011

Posted: 2:50 AM, December 2, 2011

Jets offensive consultant Tom Moore was at practice yesterday, traveling from his South Carolina home to have some face-to-face meetings with the coaching staff.

The Jets said the visit was planned and was not due to the offense’s recent struggles. Moore usually works from home, breaking down film and sending his observations to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Head coach Rex Ryan said he also speaks with Moore at least once a week.

Moore arrived in New Jersey on Wednesday night and Ryan said he hopes he stays for Sunday’s game at Washington. Schottenheimer said the longtime Colts offensive coordinator has been helpful since the team hired him in the offseason.

“Tom’s the best,” Schottenheimer said. “Tom might be the most positive person I’ve ever been around. I can’t remember, it was a couple of weeks ago, we lost to somebody and he sends me the fax, his summary of the game, and it was like, ‘Positive this, positive that, positive.’ I was like, ‘Man, I can’t believe it. There’s that many positive things he took from it.’

“So, I’m thrilled he’s here, and it makes it easier to consult and be around him, and hopefully he stays for a while.”

* Schottenheimer had not met with reporters since his contract extension was reported last week. The Jets extended Schottenheimer’s contract through 2013 last offseason but never announced the deal.

“I think you guys all know I love it here,” he said. ”I love working for Rex. I’ve had some opportunities to go and look at other places. Some things have come my way, head-coaching wise, but I’m thrilled to be a Jet and I think we have something special here, so I was pleased that they wanted to do that and I was honored.”

* The Jets have tried to reduce Eric Smith’s playing time in an effort to keep him rested. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said he is only using the special-teams ace on his punt team and kickoff team. Smith only played 51 defensive snaps this week, according to Pro Football Focus.

That ties his least amount of snaps this season, but the other game was against the Jaguars, when there were fewer defensive snaps.

* Cornerback Darrelle Revis and kick returner Joe McKnight are the leading vote getters among the fans for the Pro Bowl at their positions.

* Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher was at Jets headquarters yesterday to interview two of his former players — receivers Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes — for the CBS pregame show. ... Defensive tackle Mike DeVito was the only player not to practice. He will not play Sunday.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/consultant_moore_gets_live_look_wA7lwe0NGyAsw0fBffm51I#ixzz1fODGZVJC

Jets won’t admit it, but playoff dream needs assistance

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 8:27 AM, December 2, 2011

Posted: 2:54 AM, December 2, 2011

More icon_print.gif Print

mike_vaccaro.pngMike Vaccaro

Asking a professional athlete if they scoreboard watch, or if they spend even an ounce of their time figuring out where they sit in the scoreboard race, is a lot like asking a dude if he watches

“Revenge.”

They won’t cop to it. Won’t admit it.

“Are you kidding?” your male friends will tell you when you ask if he’s seen the latest plot twist involving the beguiling Miss Emily Thorne. “My wife watches that while I watch UFC on Pay-Per-View downstairs!”

It’s the same with the Jets.

“The only game we care about,” Santonio Holmes said yesterday, “is the one in front of us, the one we’re playing.”

Same reaction. Same philosophy. It’s taboo to care about these things the way fans care about these things. So even if the Jets are aware they are a team in need of not only victories for themselves but also help from others in order to make the playoffs, they are loath to admit as much.

Five weeks is a lot of time, they say. Lots of season ahead.

What are the Bengals — a game ahead of the Jets in the wild-card hunt — up to? How about the schedules the Titans and the Broncos — with whom they’re tied — in the weeks to come? These are things that consume Jets fans in their spare time now. We can have a separate discussion about how a season that began with the Jets shooting for home-field in the playoffs has devolved to this — but this, in its own way, is fascinating, too.

“The only thing I can tell you about the Bengals, because I hear it all the time, is that they’ve got to play Pittsburgh and they’ve still got Baltimore,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “Might be Pittsburgh twice, I don’t know ...”

“No,” he was told. “Just once.”

“Once, OK,” he said, allowing himself the same kind of momentary disappointment a Jets fan would have upon discovering one less losable game on the Bengals’ slate. “And I know they’ve got the Ravens another time. Doesn’t really matter. If we don’t play up to our standards, it won’t matter anyway.”

Yes, the Jets put themselves in this position and have no one to blame but themselves. It’s a disquieting place to be. Beating the Bills last week the way they did was one huge step in the right direction, because that’s one less member of the muddled middle of the AFC race to worry about.

But at the same time the Jets were coming back against the Bills, the Titans were coming back against, and surpassing, the Buccaneers (bad news) and the Bengals were coming back against, and surpassing, the Browns (worse news) and the Broncos were coming back against, and surpassing, the Chargers (worst news, since Denver owns the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Again: There is still plenty of season to go. But when you are a team in need of help, you’d like that help to arrive sooner rather than later. Two years ago, Ryan declared his team dead after a Week 15 loss at home to the Falcons — even though, the way things played out elsewhere around the league that day, the Jets were very much alive.

“Yeah, at the end, the last two or three games there’s absolutely no way I wont know what has to take place, of course I will,” Ryan said. “But after that Atlanta deal ... I’ll know now. I learned from that.”

So, yes: Priority one is winning this week against the Redskins, and winning next week against the Chiefs, and to keep wining all the way to New Year’s Day in Miami, and if that happens, if the Jets reach 11 wins, they probably can keep their eyes off the scoreboard the rest of the year. No stumbles, no help needed.

Which isn’t to say a little help wouldn’t be appreciated.

Even if they won’t cop to it.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/little_help_over_here_aP8h1WIJRtvpmg2tUvKvYN#ixzz1fODtXrxp

Keller says criticism of Sanchez is unfair

Posted by Mike Florio on December 2, 2011, 9:21 AM EST

kellerap.jpg?w=250 AP

Jets tight end Dustin Keller joined NBC SportsTalk on Thursday night, and he addressed a variety of issues.

For starters, Keller addressed with Russ Thaler the ongoing criticism of quarterback Mark Sanchez. “Any time something breaks down offensively, immediately all the pressure goes on Mark

Sanchez, Brian Schottenheimer, our offensive coordinator, and that’s absolutely not fair. You look at a lot of things and somebody sees an incomplete pass, automatically you think it must have been a bad ball by Mark. But you never know, maybe it’s a wrong route or a short route from the receiver. Maybe he’s rushed because of protection. One thing or another. Y ou can’t pull all this on him.”

Fine, but it’s for the quarterback to hold the players around him accountable, and to ensure that the other guys will do their jobs. The truly great quarterbacks make that happen, realizing that they’ll get the glory when everything works, and the blame when it doesn’t.

Keller also addressed the currently hot topic of touchdown celebrations (sparked by Stevie Johnson’s “shoot, fly, and roll” against the Jets), pointing out succinctly that “it’s not very smart.”

* The Jets have tried to reduce Eric Smith’s playing time in an effort to keep him rested. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said he is only using the special-teams ace on his punt team and kickoff team. Smith only played 51 defensive snaps this week, according to Pro Football Focus.

What the ****ity ****? Since when do you rest a safety?

Palladino: Jets Need Thicker Skin

December 2, 2011 9:30 AM

Share this1 comment

angry-jets-fan.jpg?w=300

(credit: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

Palladino: Jets Need Thicker Skin

December 2, 2011 9:30 AM

Share this1 comment

angry-jets-fan.jpg?w=300

(credit: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

‘From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

» More Ernie Palladino Columns

Ernie is the author of “Lombardi and Landry.” He’ll be covering football throughout the season.

Late in a 17-13 loss to Buffalo on Dec. 15, 1990, Phil Simms lay on the field with what was later determined a broken foot.

For perhaps the first time that season, Simms heard raucous cheers from the Giants Stadium crowd. But he wasn’t uplifted, because the crowd was really yelling for backup Jeff Hostetler, delighted that the struggling Simms was now out of the picture.

We know the rest of the story. Hostetler took them all the way to the Lombardi Trophy with an unlikely win over those same Bills. The point here is that the Giants’ continued success didn’t make the Hostetler cheers that day any more tasteful. To cheer because a player went down remains as disgraceful today as it was back then.

But you know what? Those Giants shook off the fans and went about their business with their mouths closed and eyes focused on the job at hand. They didn’t grip about it. There was no whining, even from the embattled starting quarterback.

All of this brings us to today, as Mark Sanchez’ teammates have rallied around their inconsistent quarterback concerning the “unfair” treatment MetLife Stadium fans have accorded him for, well, being Sanchez.

The message here? Grow up, guys. Sanchez is supposed to be a big boy. Let the fans boo, even in the pre-game introductions as they did last Sunday in prelude to their life-and-death struggle against an undermanned Bills squad. Let them tear the joint down if that’s how they want to react to the dumb interceptions and errant throws their franchise quarterback is so prone to making.

You don’t circle the wagons when that happens. You shut up, concentrate a little more, work a little harder, and get things straightened out.

Sanchez doesn’t need Jim Leonhard to defend him, especially after he nearly proved the crowd right in a perfectly horrible 8-for-20, 66-yard passing effort that was saved only by his first two of a career-high four touchdown passes in the second quarter.

Do that against Washington, and the 4-7 Redskins might just muster enough offense behind career underachiever Rex Grossman to overcome whatever Sanchez does in the second half. Keep in mind, the Redskins average only 16.6 points per game, 28th in the league.

If the Jets blow this one, Sanchez and company will deserve every bit of the booing that will occur when they arrive back home next week for Kansas City.

It’s just life in the big city. But that’s how the Jets have always handled things. Such a difference from their stadium co-inhabitants. When Brandon Jacobs stupidly opened his mouth about mistreatment from the fans, coach Tom Coughlin basically said, “Hey, start making plays and the booing will stop.”

From his teammates? Silence. Appropriate silence.

he only talking came from Antrel Rolle, who admitted he had a private, measured sitdown with Jacobs. Even the emotional, opinionated Rolle knew enough that battling the fans when you’re playing bad football is a no-win situation.

Phil Simms and his championship teammates learned that a few football generations back.

At least Sanchez isn’t hearing it while laying on the field with a busted foot.

Tomlinson Healthy, Feeling ‘Fresh’ For Jets’ Stretch Run

December 2, 2011 9:34 AM

Share this1 comment

ladainian-tomlinson.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — LaDainian Tomlinson is feeling better than he usually does at this point in the season. And that’s even coming off a sprained left knee.

A reduced role and the injury that sidelined the Jets running back the last two games has the 32-year-old Tomlinson feeling young again.

“That was pretty much the game plan for the year, to keep me fresh and down the stretch, possibly increase my workload,” Tomlinson said Thursday. “So I’m fresh and feeling good, so the coaches have that option, if they want to use me more.”

“I mentioned that to him,” said Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “I said, ‘This is going to be interesting for you.’ When I saw him in practice I was like, ‘Wow.’ I mean, he looked fresh as can be. That could be interesting getting a fresh LT for the last part of the season. I think it would be great for us.”

Tomlinson has been used to carrying the load for much of his record-breaking career, particularly during nine record-breaking seasons in San Diego. He had more than 300 carries in each of his first seven seasons and put up incredible statistics that have him ranked among the NFL’s greatest running backs.

Still, it was a hefty workload that even his former coach, Marty Schottenheimer, acknowledged last week while visiting the Jets and son Brian, the team’s offensive coordinator, might have been a bit excessive.

“He said to me while I was in the training room, he said, ‘I’m sorry, kid. I just wore you out when you were young,’” Tomlinson said, laughing. “I said, ‘Hey, coach, I took it and I’m glad you gave me the ball.’”

Tomlinson stepped aside as the lead running back this season in favor of Shonn Greene, and was having a decent season as the Jets’ primary third-down back until spraining the medial collateral ligament in his knee against New England on Nov. 13.

The sixth-leading rusher in NFL history is still fourth on the team with 25 catches for 312 yards and a score, and has 167 yards rushing on 46 carries. Greene is dealing with sore ribs, so Tomlinson could see more action Sunday — and the rest of the season.

“Obviously, one of the things that everybody’s always said about LT, although I thought he did a nice job late last year as well is, ‘Does he wear down?’” Brian Schottenheimer said. “I think that there are benefits to having been out the two games. Obviously, he looks good. We have to get him the ball, we have to get him involved.”

Sounds good to Tomlinson, who says it’s clear to him at practice that he’s got plenty left even so late in the season.

“Everybody else is running slow and I’m still running fast,” Tomlinson said with a big smile. “No, quite honestly, it’s more how your body feels Wednesdays and Thursdays, sometimes you’re still sore. This year, I don’t have anything going on other than I hurt my knee. But other than that, I’ve felt fresh.”

Schotty: "I love it here"

December, 1, 2011

Dec 1

7:02

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Thursday is the day the Jets make the coordinators available, and so it was the first opportunity reporters had to ask offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about the contract extension he got during the offseason. He's signed through 2013.

“I think you guys all know that I love it here,” Schottenheimer said. “I love working for Rex (Ryan).

I’ve had some opportunities to go and look at other places. Some things have come my way, head-coaching wise, but I’m thrilled to be a Jet and I think we have something special here.”

Shottenheimer interviewed with the Ravens and the Dolphins and declined an interview with the Bills.

Plenty of Jets fans had mixed reactions to the news — obviously being diplomatic there — and Schottenheimer is aware that he and Sanchez sometimes draw criticism, for example the boos quarterback Mark Sanchez got during warmups.

Schottenheimer said he didn’t hear them, but allowed, “The one thing I’ve always said about the Jets fans, they’re passionate, and I love that.”

Coaching consultant Tom Moore was on hand at practice, and Schottenheimer said seemed upbeat, even though the fairly obvious reason is to fix some of the troubles the Jets have had on offense in the Sanchez era. Moore was the Colts offensive coordinator as the team developed and won a Super Bowl with quarterback Peyton Manning.

“Tom’s the best,” Schottenheimer said.

Schotty is like a cuckold with Moore around.

Schotty is like a cuckold with Moore around.

nothing official has been said but Tom Moore is rumored to be in the early stages of Parkinsons or some other serious degenerative disease. He's not a option to take over for Schotty full time. He's a talented semi-retired consultant and we should be lucky he can contribute that much.

Well, there you have it. No defense respects Mark. And his own OC doesnt even recognize that he stares down his primary target.

Oh boy...

I like that Schotty provides an example....

"Here's one time that he didn't stare down his WR... see??????"

Friday practice report

December, 2, 2011

Dec 2

11:59

AM ET

By Jane McManus

DE Mike DeVito worked out on the sideline with a trainer doing agility drills with practice team tight end Jamarko Simmons on Friday morning in Florham Park.

The mood was light as the team prepares to head to Washington for a 1 p.m. game. Some of the assistant coaches ran routes -- receivers coach Henry Ellard had a touchdown catch which drew a lot of cheers from his players, while running backs coach Anthony Lynn slipped on a pivot and got a lot of ribbing.

All fun aside, the Jets need to beat Washington to keep playoff hopes alive, barring a total collapse from other teams in the hunt for a wildcard. At 6-5, winning out would likely mean a post-season, while losing would put the Jets back at .500 and facing a nearly impossible task.

During stretching, the jets DJ played the LT Shuffle. Please,

responsibly.

ESPN experts: AFC East goes 3-1

December, 2, 2011

Dec 2

12:05

PM ET

By James Walker

The picks are in from ESPN's football experts, and they predict a very successful weekend in the AFC East.

According to our panel, the division is projected to go 3-1. Everyone picked the New England Patriots against the Indianapolis Colts, while a majority picked the New York Jets to beat the Washington Redskins and the Buffalo Bills to beat the Tennessee Titans.

The only AFC East team predicted to lose, by a 7-3 vote, was the Miami Dolphins. They host the AFC West-leading Oakland Raiders on Sunday. You can also check out my weekly predictions here.

Final Word: AFC East

December, 2, 2011

Dec 2

1:30

PM ET

By James Walker

» NFC Final Word: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Five nuggets of knowledge about Week 13:

"Gronk" on historic pace: New England Patriots second-year tight end Rob Gronkowski has been a force with 11 touchdowns in 11 games. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Gronkowski needs just three touchdowns to set a single-season scoring record for tight ends. San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis and Antonio Gates of the San Diego Chargers both share the NFL record with 13 touchdowns in a season.

bos_g_gronkowski_cr_200.jpg

Jim Rogash/Getty ImagesRob Gronkowski is three touchdowns away from setting a single-season scoring record for tight ends.

Not road warriors: One of the biggest reasons the New York Jets are fighting for their playoff lives is their sudden struggles on the road. New York coach Rex Ryan was 11-5 on the road his first two seasons. But this year the Jets are 1-4 away from MetLife Stadium entering their must-win road game against the Washington Redskins. New York's only road win came in Week 9 against the Buffalo Bills.

Wild-card watch: Not only do the Jets (6-5) have to handle their business against Washington, New York also could use help from several teams this weekend. Perhaps the biggest game is the Pittsburgh Steelers (8-3) against the Cincinnati Bengals (7-4). Cincinnati currently holds the final wild-card spot in the AFC. Other games of interest are the Denver Broncos (6-5) against the Minnesota Vikings (2-9) and Buffalo (5-6) against the Tennessee Titans (6-5).

Chris Johnson vs. Bills: Titians tailback Chris Johnson has struggled all season. But, unfortunately for Buffalo, Johnson may be hitting his stride. Johnson is coming off an impressive 190-yard rushing performance in Tennessee's victory last week over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Johnson averaged 8.3 yards per carry. It's not a good matchup for Buffalo, which is 21st against the run.

Marshall chasing 1,000: Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall is quietly chasing his fifth consecutive 1,000-yard season. Marshall has 59 receptions for 850 yards. Don't expect Marshall to get 150 yards this week against the Oakland Raiders. But he's a virtual lock for another 1,000-yard season with five games remaining. What's even more impressive about Marshall's season is that he's had to produce this year with two different quarterbacks: Matt Moore and Chad Henne.

Revis seeks rebound from rare subpar game

Originally published: December 1, 2011 8:53 PM

Updated: December 1, 2011 9:28 PM

By RODERICK BOONE roderick.boone@newsday.com

image.jpg

Photo credit: AP | Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson (13) reaches out for a pass thrown by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick as New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (24) defends during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game. (Nov. 27, 2011)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mike Pettine shakes his head at times during practice, almost in disbelief at the eye-popping plays Darrelle Revis makes.

"It's scary because that kind of becomes expected," the Jets' defensive coordinator said Thursday.

"That's the norm, and when he actually does look like just a regular corner sometimes, people at first get taken aback. It's going to happen. It's the NFL."

Still, few have posted the numbers Stevie Johnson did in his visit to "Revis Island" Sunday in the Jets' 28-24 win. The Bills receiver was thrown to 13 times and caught eight passes for 75 yards, including a 5-yard touchdown.

To understand how unusual that was, take a look at the leaders in burn percentage, which tracks how many completions a targeted defender yields. Even with his struggles against Johnson, Revis has a 35.7 burn percentage since 2009, the best of any cornerback in the league. In 210 targets, he's been burned only 75 times.

"Brett Favre threw interceptions before," Revis said. "So you've got to look at it like you're not going to have a perfect game every time, you are not going to have your best game all the time. I've had horrible games in the past. So you've got to live with the good ones and the bad ones. Looking at the film, was it that bad? It wasn't."

Especially when one has a better understanding of the defensive game plan. The Jets played a lot of "zero coverage," which means Revis was defending his man one-on-one without any safety help. The Jets would rather take their chances on Revis in single coverage and give help on other receivers.

About the only time the Jets didn't use that look was on Johnson's TD. Pettine said Revis was backing off when the ball was snapped because someone else was supposed to take away the slant route. That appears to have been David Harris' responsibility, but the linebacker got caught out of position.

Revis' job mainly was to keep Johnson in front of him, which he did. "When you put a guy in zero coverage with no help, all you can ask for is a guy to be there when the ball is thrown," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said.

"[People] don't even know football. They are thinking, 'Aw, he caught the ball. What is he doing?'

No, it's a scheme and what we are running. We know we asked a lot out of Revis with a shifty guy like Stevie Johnson.

"So Revis did a hell of a job doing what he was supposed to do and what he was asked of."

Rex Ryan feels the same way as Cromartie, and hasn't noticed any difference in Revis' demeanor the past few days.

"He's just who he always is, extremely competitive, can't wait, hits the practice field with a purpose every day to get better," Ryan said. "And he's doing the same thing this week."

That might not be a good thing for Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman. Coach Mike Shanahan seems confident Revis will play at a high level Sunday.

"Yeah, I can guarantee you that will happen, because he's done it throughout the year against some excellent players," he said. "He's in a class by himself as far as I'm concerned."

Pettine isn't about to argue.

"You just look at his body of work, it's not even close," Pettine said. "He's the best corner in football."

1) called the sh*t out of how they're going to use LT this year. These last 5 games should be action packed and fast paced.

2) Does Holmes like anybody?

3) If Schitty is a cuckold with Moore around, does that mean that this MESS the franchise will never recover from is on Moore? That old POS, eh?

Archived