Jets Sign TE Dedrick Epps to Practice Squad

b&bjetsfan

Jets have signed TE Dedrick Epps (Miami) to the practice squad. He's wearing No. 83.

https://twitter.com/#!/rodboone

Pick Analysis: The second tight end from Miami to get drafted (Round 7) goes to the Chargers in the draft. San Diego lost Brandon Malumaleuna in free agency to the Bears, and Epps will compete for playing time as a backup.

Epps was an on-and-off starter for pretty much his whole career at Miami, and while he has shown some consistency and play-making skills, he really does nothing that jumps off the screen at you. He is fairly athletic and can adjust to off-target throws to make difficult catches, but he also will drop some easy ones, as well. He lacks the speed and acceleration to be much of a threat down the seams. He is a more-than-willing blocker but lacks the size to be more than a finesse blocker who just gets the job done. He should compete for a backup position but lacks the tools to be a front-line player at the next level.

Strengths

Epps has soft, strong hands. Shows good ball skills and high-points the football. Fluid athlete who possesses the body control to make difficult catches in traffic. Does not shy away from contact when blocking. High-motor kid who fights to the whistle every play.

Weaknesses

Does not have the bulk to push around defenders at the next level. Lacks the top-end speed to stretch the field and make big plays. Limited burst makes it difficult for him to gain separation in man coverage. Loses concentration at times and drops too many catchable balls.

Not sh*t? I actually woke up this morning asking myself - why hasnt anyone signed Dedrick Epps?

The Jets are so effin' bad that this just made me LOL. Oh god....if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

Jets have signed TE Dedrick Epps (Miami) to the practice squad. He's wearing No. 83.

https://twitter.com/#!/rodboone

Pick Analysis: The second tight end from Miami to get drafted (Round 7) goes to the Chargers in the draft. San Diego lost Brandon Malumaleuna in free agency to the Bears, and Epps will compete for playing time as a backup.

Epps was an on-and-off starter for pretty much his whole career at Miami, and while he has shown some consistency and play-making skills, he really does nothing that jumps off the screen at you. He is fairly athletic and can adjust to off-target throws to make difficult catches, but he also will drop some easy ones, as well. He lacks the speed and acceleration to be much of a threat down the seams. He is a more-than-willing blocker but lacks the size to be more than a finesse blocker who just gets the job done. He should compete for a backup position but lacks the tools to be a front-line player at the next level.

Strengths

Epps has soft, strong hands. Shows good ball skills and high-points the football. Fluid athlete who possesses the body control to make difficult catches in traffic. Does not shy away from contact when blocking. High-motor kid who fights to the whistle every play.

Weaknesses

Does not have the bulk to push around defenders at the next level. Lacks the top-end speed to stretch the field and make big plays. Limited burst makes it difficult for him to gain separation in man coverage. Loses concentration at times and drops too many catchable balls.

He's got soft, strong hands.

But... according to this post he has already lost his burst. Damn.

Archived