Jets Top 25 No 18------------------

flgreen

JETS TOP 25: No. 18 Matt Slauson

11:24 AM, July 2, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

As the Jets enter the quiet part of the summer between the spring program and training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players on the Jets roster. Each weekday we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into training camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. Hope you enjoy.

No. 18: MATT SLAUSON

Position: Left Guard

How acquired: Selected in the sixth round of the 2009 Draft

Contract status: 1 year, $597,000 remaining

How he did in 2011: Slauson played last season with a torn labrum, rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder. That could explain some of his uneven play last year. Slauson did not have a bad year, but he did not take the leap some expected in his second season as a starter.

The Jets offensive line as a whole was down last year, and Slauson was part of it. He struggled early in the season, particularly against the Ravens when he moved between guard and center. He allowed four sacks during the season, according to profootballfocus.com.

Slauson’s pass blocking was fine, but his run blocking could use improvement. The question is how much did the shoulder injury hold him back. Slauson said he had significant pain and it hurt him in the weight room.

Outlook for 2012: After surgery in January on his shoulder, Slauson said he feels like his strength is back. He is lifiting more in the weight room now than he did all last season.

Slauson was limited during the spring workout period, but his activity level increased in mini-camp. He worked primarily at right guard as the Jets kept Vlad Duccasse at the left guard spot, where he had filled in for Slauson.

This is Slauson’s final year of his rookie deal. He is playing for a long-term contract. My guess is the Jets need to see something from him this year to hold onto him. With a new offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, Slauson has some people to impress.

On a line with three Pro Bowlers, Slauson has done an admirable job in his first two seasons. The Jets now need him to take the next step. Teammates say Slauson is a hard worker and the expectations are for him and the rest of the offensive line to get back to being a strength of the team.

Slauson’s versatility is a positive for him. He filled in at center for Nick Mangold at some points last year. The team does not have a true backup center, so Slauson may have to fill that role again.

Slauson is back healthy and he faces an important year. The franchise will be figuring out whether he is part of the future or can be allowed to walk away after this year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_top_no_matt_slauson_V2rE0JFOYr3h4IcwwhCJaO#ixzz1zUkGCoGt

He's fine. Sign him long-term now before he gets his dollars up. Bet it wouldn't take 10 minutes to get him to sign 4 years $11-12M with half guaranteed. If he wants more than that then let him play out the year and worst case we get another guard in the draft or promote someone else.

I'm not big on this waiting until a breakout year and then sign long-term when the dollars couldn't be higher.

He's fine. Sign him long-term now before he gets his dollars up. Bet it wouldn't take 10 minutes to get him to sign 4 years $11-12M with half guaranteed. If he wants more than that then let him play out the year and worst case we get another guard in the draft or promote someone else.

I'm not big on this waiting until a breakout year and then sign long-term when the dollars couldn't be higher.

Completely agree on all counts. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their reported hard-on for Schlauderaff keeps them from wanting to commit to anything with Slauson in advance.

Archived