Training Camp Notes - Friday 7.7.12

Maxman

Rex Ryan believes he's 'the best defensive coach in football'

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 1:49 PM Updated: Friday, July 27, 2012, 2:07 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11354915-large.jpg

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he has "everything in place" for the team he envisioned.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan has vowed to be more toned down this season. Super Bowl guarantees are a thing of the past, he says, because he realized he can't put that pressure on his players.

But that doesn't mean the Jets coach's confidence has waned, and he proved that today.

"I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football," Ryan said. "That’s saying something, because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good. Bill Belichick is pretty good. But that’s the way I've always believed. And you know what, I believe it, because the guys I coach with, there's no doubt about that, and the guys I have coached. But that’s the truth, that’s kind of how I feel, and I'm going to be more involved over there, whether it is calling games or whatever."

Ryan, who ceded the primary play-calling responsibilities to defensive coordinator Mike Pettine last year, has spent the offseason reevaluating how he does his job and trying to get back to his roots. In fact, in last night's team meeting, he showed his players the blueprint he set for the Jets when he was hired in 2009.

He said he reminded the team that he will be more involved on defense, and set the tone for a season he hopes is better than last year's disappointing 8-8 campaign.

"I just thought it was important to show, that, 'Hey look, this is what we stand for,' " Ryan said. "I want to play like a Jet. I want guys to understand what that means. ... I want great teammates. I want guys that are selfless, guys that care about each other. The individual success is tied in with the team success, period. The only way you are going to have success individually is if the team succeeds, period, and that’s it. Even little messages like that, I wanted them to see."

When Ryan looks at this year's team, he believes that it reflects that blueprint he set back in 2009.

"It is my fourth year as a head coach, my fourth year here, and I've learned a ton of things," he said. "But I'm going to be myself, and there are some things I spent my whole life, if I have a team, if I could take a team over, that I feel strongly about. I have everything in place right now."

One of those key pieces, he said, is new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, hired this offseason to replace Brian Schottenheimer. One key element is that Sparano has head coaching experience, nearly four seasons with the Dolphins.

"Tony is a big part of that, and I'm telling you, and I made sure the team knew, that this is what we brought in and this is why we brought it in," Ryan said. "When you look at it, he sees things through not just an offensive coordinator but as a team. Not saying that Brian didn’t, it was just things were a little bit different."

Ryan avidly reads what is written about the team and seizes upon others doubting him. He referenced a few published predictions picking the Jets to finish third or fourth in the division, and says that motivates him.

"This isn’t the first time that there has been people that don’t believe in me," Ryan said. "But I'm going to come out and compete, and I believe in myself and I believe in the men that I coach, and I believe in the men I coach with. That’s why we’re going to be successful. I don’t care what you think. And that’s the case. If it was the spelling bee, I'd bet against me. A fight? Coaching football? I am betting on me."

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Ducasse, Slauson absolutely competing at left guard

image.JPG

Updated: Jul 27, 2012 01:47 PM

By Kimberley A. Martin

Multiple Page View

The word competition was never directly mentioned to Matt Slauson.

But after just a few minutes of team drills Friday, it was clear the Jets left guard will have to fight for his starting spot against Vlad Ducasse, whom he split first-team reps with during practice.

A few hours later, Rex Ryan confirmed the pair will be battling it out for the left guard spot.

Absolutely, the Jets coach said. "Vlad's had a tremendous offseason. The fact that Matt, unfortunately, had the surgery and all that, it allowed Vlad to get some work there with the ones. We liked what he did in the spring, so that's some competition right there. Which I think is good."

The Jets also are giving Slauson work at right tackle (uh oh, Wayne!) and at center.

Slauson, who played through a left shoulder injury (which included a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff), was limited during minicamp after undergoing offseason surgery. And as much as he understands Ducasse filled in in his absence, Slauson said: I definitely want that spot to still be mine.

In fairness to Vlad, he was there all spring. I was limited, he added. So I dont really know the plan right now. Nobody has said anything to be about a competition. I just do what they say and Im going to worry about that when it comes. I have to approach it like a competition or else Ill get lax and I might lose my spot.

Ducasse, a second-round pick in 2010, already has developed the bust label among Jets fans. But the 24-year-old remains confident in his ability and said he doesnt care to listen to his detractors.

I dont care about the fans, he said. Fans will be fans. They will say whatever they want to say. Thats part of the business. Youve got to be able to take criticism. And when you look at it, that kind of helped me push myself more.

Ducasse said the first-team reps he took in practice show they want me to get better, they have a lot of faith in me and they want me to push myself. But he made clear that whatever position hes put in, hes ready to work.

Im ready to go, wherever they put me, Ill do it, said Ducassse, who alternated with Slauson after every two reps. I know theres a lot of people. Like coach said, everybodys competing all over the line.

Ryan challenged his offensive line players to learn more than just their position, citing the importance of "hidden depth" in the NFL.

"Don't be surprised if Cro learns some wide receiver," he told reporters.

Despite splitting reps, Slauson said its easy to maintain a rhythm with the first team because hes familiar with guys like Nick Mangold and DBrickashaw Ferguson. But when you start going in different groups, then its tough," he said. "Cause you work with a different center, you work with a different tackle."

And theyre also moving me to tackle, and Im working on a completely 'nother side, in a new spot, next to a new guy. Thats tough. But youve got to adjust.

This past offseason, the Jets acquired several offensive linemen, either via free agent signings or trades. The result has been a turnstile of moving parts on the line and no clear sense of who is where.

But thats no different than any other training camp, Slauson said.

Every year theres new faces, its a new team, he said. Well kind of see over the next couple weeks, what pieces are still here, whos in what spot. And Ill just adjust from there.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Rex Report: Best defensive coach in NFL?

By Jane McManus

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- A notably slimmer Rex Ryan addressed reporters after the first practice of Jets training camp. A few of the highlights:

ny_u_rex-ryan-27_mb_300.jpg

Brad Barr/US PresswireRex Ryan may have two star QBs to juggle, but he doesn't doubt his own prowess on defense.

In response to a question from wide receiver turned media member Keyshawn Johnson (just give him the darn microphone), Ryan said he will be spending more time on the defense this season. Last year the Jets' defense struggled, giving up far more points per game than in his first two seasons when the team reached the AFC title game.

“I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football, and that’s saying something,” Ryan said.

That could extend to calling games this year.

• Ryan cleared up his takedown of Santonio Holmes, who said two-quarterback systems don’t work when asked about the dynamic between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Rex smiled when told Holmes claimed Ryan’s comments to ESPN were a joke.

“If that’s what he said I’m with him all the way,” Ryan joked. Then he said, more seriously, “The thing about what we have to understand is, (Santonio’s) job is to come in here (and) play ... We’ll worry about all those situations. Tony and I will figure that out.”

• As for whether Ryan has changed his core philosophy, he said he absolutely hasn’t, and backed that up. Ryan showed the team a blueprint the first night of camp, which was the same outline he gave the team three years ago.

“I just thought that it was important to show, 'Hey look this is what we stand for,'” Ryan said. “I want to play like a Jet. I want guys to understand what that means.”

Friday, July 27, 2012

Tebow makes Jets, Sanchez better

By Ian O'Connor

ny_u_tebow_b1_576.jpgWilliam Perlman/US PresswireTim Tebow reported for training camp on Thursday.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Tim Tebow trade, always a smart play for the New York Jets, already paid off before the first snap of the first training camp day. It paid off in the form of Mark Sanchez, who arrived here Thursday wearing a black tank top designed to showcase the new and improved definition in his arms.

Sanchez has never been much of a physical specimen, and he's not likely to ever interrupt one of his Jets West summer sessions for a Muscle Beach showdown with his best frenemy, Tebow, a quarterback who reduces linemen to quivering wrecks in the weight room.

But the first-stringer has already responded to the presence of the world's most famous second-stringer, packing on a dozen tough-guy pounds in an attempt to enhance his durability and, of course, to keep Tebow tucked under a baseball cap near the bench.

So Sanchez is ready to fight for what has been his for three uneven years. Good for him, even better for the Jets. The quarterback needed a credible threat to his job, and Rex Ryan couldn't generate one with old man Mark Brunell as his lone alternative.

Problem solved. If Brunell represented a water pistol, Tebow represents a weapon of mass distraction. All the T-shirts in the shop windows announced Cortland as TebowTown, and Sanchez seems to get it.

He's allowing this to be Tebow's town, as long as it's not Tebow's team.

BY Manish Mehta

CORTLAND – The morning after Mark Sanchez said that he was in “attack mode” entering training camp, the fourth-year quarterback outshined backup Tim Tebow on the first day of practice.

Is Mark still attempting to 'earn' a job that he's already been 'given' to start with?

"Hill made a diving grab off a deflection from Darrelle Revis."

A true credit to Mark's perfect throwing motion and accuracy..... :winking0001:

While crappy weak inaccurate never be an NFL QB....

"Tebow completed a 45-yard TD pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty.

They didn't say, was it that future All Pro RT yet again???

In all, Sanchez finished 7 for 8 with 16 snaps with the first team.

Mark was only 4 of 8 for 50% and threw an Int to Revis in 7-on-7 drills. (turnover improvement???)

Overall 11 of 16 for 69% with 1 TD and 1 Int.

Tebow to 11 snaps during the 11 on 11 period, completing 4 of 4 (100%) with a sack.

He was 4 of 6 for 67% during the 7 on 7 period.

Overall, 8 of 10 for 80% with a TD. Gave up a sack instead of an Int. turnover.

(one said 11 passes, another said 12 passes, but 4+6 = 10 in southern math - snicker)

He also had two rushes for 15 yards, (7.5 ypc).

Behind the 2nd-team line, he was under heavy pressure and took off 3 times on scrambles. :sign0182:

* Bonus Extra - Rex Ryan said they want to take advantage of the threat Tebow is to run a fake punt.

Tebow held the ball to long,,,, while Mark made a 'quick delivery' INTERCEPTION instead.

>>>>> Where that 'OUTSHINED' comes from I've yet to understand..... <<<<<

PS

But what kind of teammate is he? (intangibles?)

“We did actually speak football for quite a while. The guy is very willing to try and help out any way we can, quizzing me on things to see what I know. The guy is as sharp as you want; he’s all over it. He knows his playbook, Smith said."

(Good players make other players better...)

* Note: I'm really not taking any of this to seriously,,,

and neither should you (anyone), at least concerning what I think/post.

The chips will eventually fall where they may and I'm good with that.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Slauson, Ducasse compete for starting job

By Jane McManus

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Two years ago, underdog lineman Matt Slauson beat out a bigger Vlad Ducasse for the left guard spot. On the first day of the Jets' 2012 training camp, Slauson found out he will have to do it all over again if he wants to keep the job.

Jets coach Rex Ryan confirmed that the two will compete.

"Absolutely, I think it will be a good competition," Ryan said. "I think Vlad's had a terrific offseason."

Slauson, 26, had shoulder surgery in the offseason, and the team's mandatory minicamp in June was the first time he had worn pads since the procedure. Ducasse took a lot of his reps with the first team during OTAs in the spring as Slauson rehabbed.

mlb_u_otah11_300.jpg

William Perlman/THE STAR-LEDGER/US PresswireThe Jets hope Jeff Otah, plagued by knee problems throughout his career, will pass his physical.

"I just do what they tell me to," Slauson said. "Today when I walked out on the field they said I'd be rotating every two (plays)."

Ryan praised Ducasse, 24, who was a rookie out of UMass the last time the Jets had him compete for a starting job. Since then Ducasse has struggled, failing to win a starting job despite some problems with the offensive line.

Given past performance, Slauson would have to be far from healed to lose the starting job to a player who has started to remind some team critics of Vernon Gholston with his lack of production. But the Jets have had issues to address in protecting quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The offensive line struggled last year, although criticism was focused more on right tackle Wayne Hunter.

On Friday, tackle Jeff Otah worked out on the sideline. He has five more days to pass his physical, making official the trade that brought him to the Jets. Otah, 26, is expected to challenge Hunter for his spot.

Ryan explained that the Jets would like to become more versatile.

"We're looking at Matt (Slauson) to help even as tackle, giving him some reps at right tackle and even at center," Ryan said.

Last season the Jets struggled as starting center Nick Mangold missed two games with an high ankle sprain. The team tabbed Colin Baxter to fill in, an experiment that didn't go well. Ryan would like to avoid losing line integrity again should one of his starters go down.

"I challenged the guys," Ryan said, "(to) learn not just your position but learn other positions. In the NFL you need hidden depth, and we saw that last year."

He added that it wasn't exclusive to the offensive line.

"Some games there has to be some crossover," he said. "Don't be surprised if (cornerback Antonio) Cromartie learns how to play some receiver."

Friday, July 27, 2012

Keyshawn Johnson delivers message

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Santonio Holmes received a mini-sermon on leadership Friday from Keyshawn Johnson, who once wrote a book entitled, "Just Give Me the Damn Ball."

Ironic? Perhaps. The two lighting-rod wide receivers, from the New York Jets' past and present, walked off the practice field together, chatting. Johnson was at Jets camp as part of his analyst duties for ESPN.

ny_u_keyshawn-holmes_mb_300.jpgKeyshawn Johnson and Santonio Holmes got together at Jets camp.

"It was a big brother-to-little brother talk," Holmes said. "He was just teaching me to be cordial to everybody and to understand what gift I have to this football team and learning how to utilize it."

Lately, it has been the gift of gab -- and not in a good way.

Holmes, in a TV interview last week, questioned the viability of two-quarterback systems, prompting a mild rebuke from Rex Ryan. The Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic is going to be tricky, and the last thing Ryan wants to hear is skepticism from one of his own players.

But all that was forgotten on the first full day of training camp. Holmes, painted as the villain in last season's meltdown, tried to be Mr. Sunshine.

He said he's cool with Ryan. He's cool with quarterback Mark Sanchez, with whom he clashed last season. And he's cool with Tony Sparano, who replaced Brian Schottenheimer as the offensive coordinator.

Holmes laughed when asked about being chided by Ryan, who told ESPN that Holmes shouldn't act like the offensive coordinator.

Holmes took it as a "joke."

"I love the guy," he said of Ryan. "He brought me here to be a leader and to be a guy that's going to play football and be aggressive for this football team. His jokes are his jokes. I don't put anything past what coach says, because it's all fun and games with him."

Holmes said the reason why he questioned the two-quarterback system is because it didn't work well during his college days at Ohio State. Backtracking from last week's remarks, he said the Sanchez-Tebow situation can work because they have distinct roles.

It was a feel-good debut for Holmes, who connected with Sanchez for a couple of pretty pass plays. After a diving catch near the sideline, he jogged back to the huddle and received a high-five from Sanchez.

Only seven months ago, the Sanchez-Holmes relationship was ice.

In the final game, Holmes didn't catch a single pass, erupted in the huddle, got benched and spent the last two minutes of the game sulking alone on the sideline.

Holmes said he and Sanchez are closer than ever. They spent time together in the offseason, mending their relationship. They built a "trust," according to Holmes, who admitted it was missing last season.

"I think it was all over the place amongst us all," he said. "It wasn't just between myself and Mark. It was quarterbacks and wide receivers."

Asked to elaborate, Holmes bristled. "That was last year, man," he said. "We're moving on. Let's talk about something positive."

Holmes made similar comments last week in an interview, catching flak for saying the New York media should write positive things "if they want to be part of our team."

It wasn't the first time his mouth has gotten him into trouble.

Sixteen years ago, another Jets receiver made headlines with his mouth -- Johnson, now an ESPN studio analyst.

He offered advice to Holmes, encouraging him to take a leadership role and be a playmaker for the team.

"All eyes are you," said Johnson, relating what he told Holmes. "If you can do it -- and you've done it before -- you can write your ticket."

Holmes was a divisive player last season, angering teammates because he was publicly critical of the offensive line and Sanchez. Johnson believes Holmes is past that. "He'll grow up," he said. "He'll get there. I'm not worried."

This! I didn't even ask for the fancy "longneck" one. Just the plain ol' 12oz can variety...just crickets in response!

LOL.

Ryno...seriously man thank you. These updates are awesome.

Rex Ryan believes he's 'the best defensive coach in football'

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 1:49 PM Updated: Friday, July 27, 2012, 2:07 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11354915-large.jpg

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he has "everything in place" for the team he envisioned.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan has vowed to be more toned down this season. Super Bowl guarantees are a thing of the past, he says, because he realized he can't put that pressure on his players.

But that doesn't mean the Jets coach's confidence has waned, and he proved that today.

"I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football," Ryan said. "That’s saying something, because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good. Bill Belichick is pretty good. But that’s the way I've always believed. And you know what, I believe it, because the guys I coach with, there's no doubt about that, and the guys I have coached. But that’s the truth, that’s kind of how I feel, and I'm going to be more involved over there, whether it is calling games or whatever."

Ryan, who ceded the primary play-calling responsibilities to defensive coordinator Mike Pettine last year, has spent the offseason reevaluating how he does his job and trying to get back to his roots. In fact, in last night's team meeting, he showed his players the blueprint he set for the Jets when he was hired in 2009.

He said he reminded the team that he will be more involved on defense, and set the tone for a season he hopes is better than last year's disappointing 8-8 campaign.

"I just thought it was important to show, that, 'Hey look, this is what we stand for,' " Ryan said. "I want to play like a Jet. I want guys to understand what that means. ... I want great teammates. I want guys that are selfless, guys that care about each other. The individual success is tied in with the team success, period. The only way you are going to have success individually is if the team succeeds, period, and that’s it. Even little messages like that, I wanted them to see."

When Ryan looks at this year's team, he believes that it reflects that blueprint he set back in 2009.

"It is my fourth year as a head coach, my fourth year here, and I've learned a ton of things," he said. "But I'm going to be myself, and there are some things I spent my whole life, if I have a team, if I could take a team over, that I feel strongly about. I have everything in place right now."

One of those key pieces, he said, is new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, hired this offseason to replace Brian Schottenheimer. One key element is that Sparano has head coaching experience, nearly four seasons with the Dolphins.

"Tony is a big part of that, and I'm telling you, and I made sure the team knew, that this is what we brought in and this is why we brought it in," Ryan said. "When you look at it, he sees things through not just an offensive coordinator but as a team. Not saying that Brian didn’t, it was just things were a little bit different."

Ryan avidly reads what is written about the team and seizes upon others doubting him. He referenced a few published predictions picking the Jets to finish third or fourth in the division, and says that motivates him.

"This isn’t the first time that there has been people that don’t believe in me," Ryan said. "But I'm going to come out and compete, and I believe in myself and I believe in the men that I coach, and I believe in the men I coach with. That’s why we’re going to be successful. I don’t care what you think. And that’s the case. If it was the spelling bee, I'd bet against me. A fight? Coaching football? I am betting on me."

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Gotta admit. Rex's soundbytes are awesome... my hope though, is that this season we see more than superficial depth from him as a coach. Last year I came away feeling as though Rex was like many people I've known in my time in branding/advertising. Great presenter, or pitch man, but a mediocre problem solver.

I've got faith in him toning down the pitch, and investing more in the solution this year.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Keyshawn Johnson delivers message

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Santonio Holmes received a mini-sermon on leadership Friday from Keyshawn Johnson, who once wrote a book entitled, "Just Give Me the Damn Ball."

Ironic? Perhaps. The two lighting-rod wide receivers, from the New York Jets' past and present, walked off the practice field together, chatting. Johnson was at Jets camp as part of his analyst duties for ESPN.

ny_u_keyshawn-holmes_mb_300.jpgKeyshawn Johnson and Santonio Holmes got together at Jets camp.

"It was a big brother-to-little brother talk," Holmes said. "He was just teaching me to be cordial to everybody and to understand what gift I have to this football team and learning how to utilize it."

Lately, it has been the gift of gab -- and not in a good way.

Holmes, in a TV interview last week, questioned the viability of two-quarterback systems, prompting a mild rebuke from Rex Ryan. The Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic is going to be tricky, and the last thing Ryan wants to hear is skepticism from one of his own players.

But all that was forgotten on the first full day of training camp. Holmes, painted as the villain in last season's meltdown, tried to be Mr. Sunshine.

He said he's cool with Ryan. He's cool with quarterback Mark Sanchez, with whom he clashed last season. And he's cool with Tony Sparano, who replaced Brian Schottenheimer as the offensive coordinator.

Holmes laughed when asked about being chided by Ryan, who told ESPN that Holmes shouldn't act like the offensive coordinator.

Holmes took it as a "joke."

"I love the guy," he said of Ryan. "He brought me here to be a leader and to be a guy that's going to play football and be aggressive for this football team. His jokes are his jokes. I don't put anything past what coach says, because it's all fun and games with him."

Holmes said the reason why he questioned the two-quarterback system is because it didn't work well during his college days at Ohio State. Backtracking from last week's remarks, he said the Sanchez-Tebow situation can work because they have distinct roles.

It was a feel-good debut for Holmes, who connected with Sanchez for a couple of pretty pass plays. After a diving catch near the sideline, he jogged back to the huddle and received a high-five from Sanchez.

Only seven months ago, the Sanchez-Holmes relationship was ice.

In the final game, Holmes didn't catch a single pass, erupted in the huddle, got benched and spent the last two minutes of the game sulking alone on the sideline.

Holmes said he and Sanchez are closer than ever. They spent time together in the offseason, mending their relationship. They built a "trust," according to Holmes, who admitted it was missing last season.

"I think it was all over the place amongst us all," he said. "It wasn't just between myself and Mark. It was quarterbacks and wide receivers."

Asked to elaborate, Holmes bristled. "That was last year, man," he said. "We're moving on. Let's talk about something positive."

Holmes made similar comments last week in an interview, catching flak for saying the New York media should write positive things "if they want to be part of our team."

It wasn't the first time his mouth has gotten him into trouble.

Sixteen years ago, another Jets receiver made headlines with his mouth -- Johnson, now an ESPN studio analyst.

He offered advice to Holmes, encouraging him to take a leadership role and be a playmaker for the team.

"All eyes are you," said Johnson, relating what he told Holmes. "If you can do it -- and you've done it before -- you can write your ticket."

Holmes was a divisive player last season, angering teammates because he was publicly critical of the offensive line and Sanchez. Johnson believes Holmes is past that. "He'll grow up," he said. "He'll get there. I'm not worried."

Keyshawn gave Holmes bad advice, not surprisingly.

Holmes doesn't need to "take a leadership role". He's not a leader. The team has leaders on it... What Holmes needs to do is contribute positivity to the room, accept being part of the whole, and make plays. I can't think of any team that needs WRs to be "leaders" though. Just make plays and smile in the huddle.

LOL.

Ryno...seriously man thank you. These updates are awesome.

thanks ryno

Well, this is the best thread on the football forum in some time. Thanks Ryno - great stuff!

Happy to do it when I have the time gang! Can't wait for this season! Of course, I am always blindly optimistic this time of year. :)

Archived