CB Aaron Berry Interview, 10.3.12

Maxman

New York Jets CB Aaron Berry, 10.3

On how it feels to be with the Jets…

It’s a blessing. They gave me a second opportunity that a lot of people don’t get. I plan to take full advantage of it and do what I can to help this team win some games.

On his first conversation with Coach Ryan…

He pretty much told me he’s a guy that gives people second chances. He feels like everybody deserves a second chance. He just wants me to come in here and respect everybody in the locker room and just be disciplined. If they take me in, then I won’t make the same mistake as I did before. I’m just going to take that in and like I said before, I’m blessed to be here and thankful that they gave me a second chance.

On if he’s excited to reconnect with Coach Cavanaugh…

Oh yeah, most definitely. He was there when I played my freshman year (at Pittsburgh), so we have a good relationship. (He’s a) great guy. I’m blessed that he gave a good word on me.

Past performance isn't indicative of future results right??

He basically was IR his first year and played pretty decently last year in moments for the lions. He was expected to be the starter for Detroit this year, but two arrests in one month and he got canned. He's not gonna be a world beater, but he can't get beat any worse than Wilson last week, which hopefully will allow him to go back to playing his nickel positing. And he's an instant upgrade over Trufact, Lankster and McKnight; yea that's not saying much, but our defense got slightly better if only for removing any of those guys from starter duties.

Cavanaugh knows him and so does Revis through the University of Pittsburgh. Guys like this are usually better behaved than guys off the street in the short term because they know they have to be.

True. If a guy is going to make some noise off the field, it's usually the preceding off-season or the following season. For the most part, they tend to toe-the-line during this first one; who knows, maybe he'll be one of the few guys who actually "gets it" and realizes how fortunate he is. Here's to hoping.

Archived