NYU medical center Langone hospital loses backup generator

BroadwayJoe12

Not sure how many of you guys are in the area or have family in the area, but patients are being emergency evaced as we speak. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who may or may not have family in the area.

Also, having my degree on the biochemical engineering side, I don't know too much about electricity than the basics, isn't the point of being on your own grid and having backup gennys so this stuff doesn't happen??

All in all only a couple hundred people from the ICU/NICU etc. had to be moved; really a great job by all the doctors and coordinators involved shuttling the patients to the other hospitals. I believe a couple other hospitals lost power as well, but think that they had all their CC patients out in advance, so it wasn't an issue.

As for the power, it seems as though they lost both sets of backup generators and the pump for the first one. I'm not sure how often these things get checked, but I figured them being on redundant systems this sh*t isn't supposed to happen. That or maybe it's about time to not have them on the bottom floor exposed to flooding?? Any electrical engineers, electricians or whomever know how two generators can go out at once?

When the panels that distribute the power are located in a basement that fills with 8 feet of water, you could have 100 generators and it wouldn't matter.

Is it for ventilation purposes they are always located in the basement or strictly a noise and aesthetics thing?? Granted it was a worst-case scenario, but I would have to imagine they try to change things up for the future.

Is it for ventilation purposes they are always located in the basement or strictly a noise and aesthetics thing?? Granted it was a worst-case scenario, but I would have to imagine they try to change things up for the future.

There's going to be a whoooole loooooot of changes in everything structural and electrical in the future. This is not the last superstorm that the tri-state area is going to see by a long shot. Sad really. Policy literature had been warning about this for years, but this is generally how things work; it's only after the cataclysmic event happens that the dynamics are put in place.

Here is what I don't get about this..

A) Those backup gensets are supposed to be run, or tested, in a facility that houses people everyday..or at least that is our code here.

It is part of of a commission that oversees hospitals that writes it. I pulled maintenance once when I was in school in a multilevel

old folk home, and we tested that, then went to the roof..(so insane) and checked the lightning protection (big deal here)..

B) They are usually basement bound, many here are now housed just outside engineering in a compound..the hospitals are so big now.

If they are basement mounted, (like the one I tested daily, and logged it on a sheet) they have superior storm drainage..which lead into

C) PLEASE someone explain how y'all get rid of snow as high as your waist and what drainage it uses..that this water can't ? I don't get

it.. I felt like a heel cuz I didn't think y'all were gonna get hit bad.. just a bunch of *rain*.. and wind.. WE get that regular..and hurricanes

too.. It is just set up differently..NOLA was the same way..seemed like it was unprepared to us, but what it is..is we get it so much we

are set for it..and our state is like a flat puddle ..like a swamp, really..just weird.

Archived