Geno Smith, Can he run a Versatile Offense?

Lupz27

By this I mean can he run the type of Offense Seattle, Washington, SF, and Carolina employ?  All 4 are different, but similar in 1 way, they build in read options Pass, and Run because of the special talents their QB's posses with their legs, arm, and knowledge of this system, yes all 3 of these traits, unlike others who have 1, or 2, but not all 3.

Can Geno Smith run a west coast offense with the read option built in succesfully, does anyone think he has the 3 tools I mentioned to pull this off?  Does anyone think the Jets are planning to try, and utilize him in this fashion?  If the answers to these questions are yes, does anyone think Rex Ryan can keep his mouth shut about it, and let the league be caught by surprise instead of telling them what our plans are?

I see Geno ran a 4.58 40 at the combine, this is comparable to R Wilson's 40, and A Luck's 40, but A Luck can't run this type of offense, nor does he need to, or should be asked to, but R Wilson can particularly because he has run it, and has other athletic traites besides straight line speed that Luck does not posses.

Geno wasn't asked to run with the football at WVU, and why would you when you have the horses at the other skill positions to carry the ball like T Austin, and Company over the 3 years that Geno started at WVU.

So thoughts, comments, bashing, name calling, and my favorite, Trolling are all welcome in response, look forward to some of the opinions on this topic!

I dont know about him running the read option, I dont think he's ever run it before.  Most of his snaps last season were out of the pistol.  He ran a complicated offense, fast paced, lots of plays, adjust at the LOS, tons of different sets and looks which had numerous options/read out of.  

The Gruden film room thingy he does gives a good perspective of the style of offense that he ran at WVU.

He seems like a very savy pocket passer, I'm not sure how much you want to mess with that.  Besides, I feel like this read option stuff is eventually going to take its toll on these QB's.  That, or, D's are eventually going to figure it out.

Geno's mobility is more along the lines of an Aaron Rodgers than the guys mentioned by the OP. Capable of buying time within the pocket, getting outside the pocket to make plays out of the pocket, and picking up yardage on broken plays due to his straight line speed, but not particularly fluid and I wouldn't have him running the read option.

Frankly if he ends up capable of making plays from the pocket I think you want to keep a QB like that there. He's not big like Newton and the smaller QB's who run the read option tend to get dinged up (see Mike Vick, RGIII). 

Archived